Brooks Reed, DE, Arizona

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brooks Reed, DE, Arizona

Just wondering if people with better knowledge think he would be a reach for the Packers in the 1st rd at 31 or 32?

I tell you one thing, if they draft Brooks Reed and Casey Matthews, the hair on that LB corps would be sweet :D.

Comment

haha for sure! and they both are high energy with a motor that never stops. Though I think Matthews is a higher caliber of an athlete.

Comment

Originally posted by sportslover View Post
        I tell you one thing, if they draft Brooks Reed and Casey Matthews, the hair on that LB corps would be sweet :D.
        Don't forget that they're probably going to lock up A.J. Hawk for a few more years after this season...

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseKnuckles View Post
          haha for sure! and they both are high energy with a motor that never stops. Though I think Matthews is a higher caliber of an athlete.
          i would disagree with Matthews being a better athlete.

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.

Comment

Sir, that just isn't fair....

Comment

Reed is going to go a lot higher than people think and first round isn't out of the question. He's a very, very good athlete and should test well at the combine. I think he was playing out of position a bit as a DE at Arizona. Not that he wasn't good at that...but there's just certain guys who are meant to be in a 3-4 and he's one of them. Relentless on the rush, great burst and strength too.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Originally posted by SimonRath View Post
                i would disagree with Matthews being a better athlete.
                There's literally no point to having this argument when the Combine is just a few weeks away. I believe that Reed will test better than Matthews in some areas, but he will be hard pressed to top Matthews' 1.49 10-yard split.

Comment

Originally posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
                  There's literally no point to having this argument when the Combine is just a few weeks away. I believe that Reed will test better than Matthews in some areas, but he will be hard pressed to top Matthews' 1.49 10-yard split.
                  fair enough point. we'll see when the combine comes up.

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.

Comment

but he will be hard pressed to top Matthews' 1.49 10-yard split.
                    The 10 yard split is one of the top 3 most under-rated stats at the combine.
                    **** her in da *****!

Comment

Originally posted by descendency View Post
                      The 10 yard split is one of the top 3 most under-rated stats at the combine.
                      Probably not by NFL GMs, but they don't talk to me.

Personally, when evaluating pass rushing potential based on measurables I think there three stats from the combine that tell the whole story: 10-yard split, vertical leap, and bench. If a guy has a great get-off, can coil and explode, and has a strong upper body he'll be able to rush the passer assuming he stays healthy and accepts (and receives) good coaching.
                      Last edited by PossibleCabbage; 01-31-2011, 06:30 PM.

Comment

I don't think Reed will have any problems satisfying your requirements there. He's legitimately explosive and maxes out on the bench at 550. Dude has better raw lifting numbers than Brian Orakpo did and that's really saying something.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Probably not by NFL GMs, but they don't talk to me.

Personally, when evaluating pass rushing potential based on measurables I think there three stats from the combine that tell the whole story: 10-yard split, vertical leap, and bench. If a guy has a great get-off, can coil and explode, and has a strong upper body he'll be able to rush the passer assuming he stays healthy and accepts (and receives) good coaching.
                          Wouldn't it be the broad jump instead of the vertical jump? I thought broad jump truly showed lower body strength. I mean, vertical too, but, I dunno, I think broad jump measures that better.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
                            Wouldn't it be the broad jump instead of the vertical jump? I thought broad jump truly showed lower body strength. I mean, vertical too, but, I dunno, I think broad jump measures that better.
                            Vert is the one everybody does, and it's measured sensibly unlike the broad jump. So it's slightly more reliable.

The real problem with the broad jump as it's measured at the combine is that for a number to be recorded, you have to stick the landing. If you watch them do the test, you occasionally see a guy go: great distance, fall; great distance, stagger; good distance, stagger; good distance, fall; okay distance, stick.

For the vert, all you have to do is jump up in the air and whack the sticks. Everybody gets it in one.

So without having to actually watch the tape of the combine for every prospect (which kind of defeats the point of looking at numbers) I prefer to look at vert over broad.

Plus, the way the broad jump measures leg strength is more applicable to the situation of an RB pushing the pile, actually exploding out of your stance (depending on your stance) is generally more vert than broad. But remember, a pass-rusher doesn't usually have to push the OT back, he just needs to get around him somehow.
                            Last edited by PossibleCabbage; 01-31-2011, 06:49 PM.

Comment

I don't think it would be a reach at all based on what was coming out of the Senior Bowl. If he tests well at the Combine the Packers might not get the chance.
                              bow ties are

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information