This Offensive Tackle Class is Michael Jackson Bad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Offensive Tackle Class is Michael Jackson Bad

No sugar coating, is this the worst class we've ever seen?

Anthony Costanzo, Nate Solder, Tyron Smith, etc.....

All the possible 1st Rounders leave a bad taste in my mouth.
    Last edited by TheFinisher; 01-31-2011, 07:48 PM.
    Cowboys Mock:
    1. Myles Jack | LB | UCLA
    2. Vernon Butler | DT | LA Tech
    3. Karl Joseph | SS | WVU

It isn't the best, but it seems worse than it probably is because A) There's no standout elite guys like Joe Thomas or Jake Long and B) We've been spoiled recently with incredible tackle classes....the past 2 years were pretty damn stacked.
    There is some nice depth this year. Carimi, Sherrod, Castonzo, Smith, and Solder could all end up in round 1. That's a lot of potential first rounders. It's just that none of them are elite...kind of like this year's QB class. A lot of solid players, but nothing eye-popping. They all have flaws that are keeping them out of the top.

Some nice depth later too. Lee Ziemba could be a solid RT, Ben Ijalana is someone to keep an eye on..James Brewer is moving up boards.... a lot of people seem to like Orlando Franklin (I really need to focus in on him more)...not sure if anyone still believes in DeMarcus Love as a tackle, but I know a lot of people (including me) we're high on him earlier in the season.

So, ya, it's not the best class, but it's not awful.

Comment

Worst I can remember. IMO the far and away #1 OT is Gabe Carimi and he's probably a right tackle, which says a lot. We might even see an interior lineman drafted before a tackle... but probably not.
      Twitter

Comment

On a top 10 list that included OT's from the three draft classes ('09,'10'11), not one of these guys would sniff the top 8.

Comment

We know...

"Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
          @SirStackAlot707

Comment

Originally posted by TACKLE View Post
            On a top 10 list that included OT's from the three draft classes ('09,'10'11), not one of these guys would sniff the top 8.
            True. We were spoiled.
            Okung, Williams, Davis, Bulaga, J.Smith, A.Smith, Monroe, Oher... all better than these guys.
            Then look at 2008... Long, Clady, Albert, Williams, Otah, Cherilus.... and 2007 had 2 guys in the top 5, including the best tackle prospect of the bunch probably in Joe Thomas.
            Last edited by Mr.Regular; 01-31-2011, 08:05 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I get sick of Mayock saying all these OT's are 1ST Round pick's. When the Draft comes and none of these guys go in the 1ST I want to see his stupid reaction.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Regular View Post
                True. We were spoiled.
                Okung, Williams, Davis, Bulaga, J.Smith, A.Smith, Monroe, Oher... all better than these guys.
                Then look at 2008... Long, Clady, Albert, Williams, Otah, Cherilus.... and 2007 had 2 guys in the top 5, including the best tackle prospect of the punch probably in Joe Thomas.
                Sad part is it's not even close.

Realistically, who in this class could step in from Day 1 and start?
                Cowboys Mock:
                1. Myles Jack | LB | UCLA
                2. Vernon Butler | DT | LA Tech
                3. Karl Joseph | SS | WVU

Comment

Originally posted by dannyz View Post
                  I get sick of Mayock saying all these OT's are 1ST Round pick's. When the Draft comes and none of these guys go in the 1ST I want to see his stupid reaction.
                  So you think no OT's will go in the first round? Okie doke. Good luck on seeing that stupid reaction.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyz View Post
                    I guarentee 3 OT's go in the 1st round.

Carimi, Solder and Smith/Castonzo. OT is always one of the most sought after positions and that wont change this year

"Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
                    @SirStackAlot707

Comment

There have probably be been worse OT classes, but we put such an emphasis on the LT position is this day and age, so it's more noticeable how bad it is.

Comment

Well, as I said, looks like as of now there are 5 potential first rounders...that's quite a bit. But all have huge flaws.
                        Solder....he's pure potential at this point. A total project. Never really impressed in games that much and he gets beaten on the edge way too often.
                        Castonzo...struggled at the end of the year. Is he purely a RT?
                        Carimi...probably becoming my favourite of the bunch, but again, many people think he's only a RT.
                        Sherrod...will never blow you away. Very solid player, but is he worth a first round pick? Might not have a high ceiling.
                        Smith....again, pure potential. Projects as a LT only, but has never played there. Needs to add a ton of bulk.

How many of them actually do go round 1?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Regular View Post
                          Well, as I said, looks like as of now there are 5 potential first rounders...that's quite a bit. But all have huge flaws.
                          Solder....he's pure potential at this point. A total project. Never really impressed in games that much and he gets beaten on the edge way too often.
                          Castonzo...struggled at the end of the year. Is he purely a RT?
                          Carimi...probably becoming my favourite of the bunch, but again, many people think he's only a RT.
                          Sherrod...will never blow you away. Very solid player, but is he worth a first round pick? Might not have a high ceiling.
                          Smith....again, pure potential. Projects as a LT only, but has never played there. Needs to add a ton of bulk.

How many of them actually do go round 1?
                          You're completely accurate. Heck, on most years Carimi is a 2nd round pick.

Come to think of it, an absolutely terrible TE class too. Many players are going to get overdrafted

Comment

A) There's no standout elite guys like Joe Thomas or Jake Long
                            I don't get the revisionist history on Jake Long? The vast majority seemed to think he was destined to be a RT, he basically was the same prospect as a couple of the guys in this draft and one team felt he had the tools they wanted and went and got him.

I think this OT class is getting massively underrated, it seems like draftniks have fallen in love with workout warriors at OT all of a sudden as we are finally getting away from that kind of philosophy with other positions.

Look at the last few drafts, the guys that have been the "top" prospects have been the workout warriors, Davis, Campbell, Okung and even Trent Williams. Bulaga and Saffold, the two "technicians" with less than ideal measurables probably had the two best seasons. Okung is the rare best of both worlds and Williams was pretty good as well but so far Davis and Campbell have stunk.

2009 was more of the same. Jason Smith was the workout warrior, Monroe the solid all around guy, Smith has just stunk, Oher fell because he was what he was and Loadholt ditto. Again everyone got wowed by what Smith might be able to become not what he was and the ready to go guys got downgraded to RTs in Oher and Loadholt, Loadholt has been pretty solid for Minny at RT, Oher was pretty good at LT this year after being very good at RT last year.

In the last two years it just seems that teams have gone away from drafting the guys who have shown themselves to be very good OT prospects to try and draft those guys who have elite potential, ie workout warriors who move well. Just watch this year, guys like Carimi, Costanzo, Brewer, Gilbert and Sherrod will fall as prospects while everyone gets excited by Smith and Solder types who will wow at the combine.

I think this is actually a very strong OT class. I see a good 3 or 4 guys with the ability to be LTs, maybe not Joe Thomas good, but very good LTs that you can rely on to protect the QB and get some push in the run game.

It's going to be more of the rich get richer though I feel. The good teams will get the guys like Carimi who come in and start from day one and are excellent OTs whilst the bad teams will spend years trying to develop Solder into a LT.

Just my thoughts though..
                            Last edited by wogitalia; 01-31-2011, 08:45 PM.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

Originally posted by wogitalia View Post
                              I don't get the revisionist history on Jake Long? The vast majority seemed to think he was destined to be a RT, he basically was the same prospect as a couple of the guys in this draft and one team felt he had the tools they wanted and went and got him.
                              Jake Long had all the tools of an elite LT. Size, footwork, athleticism, attitude, strength, technique, experience, etc. The only reason a vast minority of people thought he could be a RT was simply because he was really strong. That's pretty much it. Long is neck and neck with Thomas and Gallery for best OT prospect in the 2000's IMO.
                              I'm a state.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information