Mark Herzlich: Before & After?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Herzlich: Before & After?

Can someone give me a scouting report of Herz before cancer and after? What do they expect from him in the NFL? What positions and what schemes does he fit?

He still could be a very good NFL player, but he definitely is not the same player he was before cancer. He looked like a top 10 pick as a linebacker his junior year, he had it all. Size, athleticism, versatility, outstanding in coverage, great pass rusher, sure tackler, a knack for the big play, and all the intangibles. He did improve as this season went on, but he looks to have lost that extra burst that made him so special. I hope he stays healthy and continues to improve his game, he has already proved so much but to see him play at an elite level again would be special.

Comment

He's in great shape right now physically and is starting to get him speed and endurance back. He's still not the same guy he was on tape a few years ago though. Sad to say that, but it's reality. I wouldn't bet against him getting back to that level personally though, seems to be a very driven individual. He's actually put on ten pounds since then and that's impressive given that he lost a lot during the treatment supposedly.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

All I can think of is when Vick came back with the Eagles last year, he looked slow and sluggish running the ball. A year of football conditioning and he was back to his old self. I think Herzelich can regain his former ability given a year in an NFL strength training program.

Comment

The guy can play anywhere and do anything. He still has a ways to go to get into form, but he has Urlacher potential.

Comment

I hope he falls and the Giants nab him. I'm still a fan, I think he can get back to form if you give him a year to develop.

The Giants pretty much redshirt all their rookies anyway, so it would be a worthy gamble in round 4 if he checks out medically.

Comment

Round 4? He won't go that low.

Comment

He is more of a late 2nd to mid 3rd right now

"Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
                @SirStackAlot707

Comment

Originally posted by sportslover View Post
                  Round 4? He won't go that low.
                  4th round isn't out of the question. The combine will be big for him as far as both how he test on the field and how he tests medically.

Comment

You think so? People were killing him during the senior bowl. With his medical concerns and poor showing, I figure he's a 4th rounder at this point.

Comment

If his burst is as bad as it looks, he could go in round 4. The combine could really hurt him or help him (because everyone is wondering what kind of athleticism he has post cancer)
                      **** her in da *****!

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                        You think so? People were killing him during the senior bowl. With his medical concerns and poor showing, I figure he's a 4th rounder at this point.
                        I think you're right about that. He might get a bit higher if some team(s) falls in love with his character.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                          "People were killing him" -- what do you mean by that exactly?

I love Herzlich. He may seem poor in coverage and slow in practices but he has extremely good game speed. His instincts and his ability to know where the ball is going before it gets there in coverage is what makes him special. I think his play overall is without question

However, the run defense part of his game is a little overrated by people. He is a solid run stuffer due to his tremendous instincts, but not elite. He has a tendency of playing with a high level against blockers which causes him to get washed out of the play. He has very good upper body strength so this clearly a technique issue and not a strength/mental toughness issue. With an extra offseason of a strength/conditioning program he will be an absolutely major steal.

Remember -- he had cancer in his lower leg. He couldn't work out on it so his burst and explosiveness had to take a step back.

Comment

You're entitled to your opinion, but mine is to never doubt Mark Herzlich again.
                            I want a sig.

Comment

I think he was overrated pre-cancer but now I think he's pretty much a lock to be good value to whoever drafts him

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information