Robert Quinn

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Quinn

Why do some mock drafts have teams in a 3-4 set taking Robert Quinn to play ROLB? The guy is 6'5" 270lbs and is clearly a better 4-3 prospect with his size.

Football is a game of leverage. Low man wins....so why would I wan't a 6'5" LB in a 2 pt stance going up against the opposing teams LT?

I've seen several mock drafts with the Cardinals and Texans taking Quinn and I have yet to understand why. Too many NFL GM's or supposed experts are to keen on finding the next great 3-4 ROLB to rush the passer and forget about the actual strengths of the player.

If I were running a 3-4 pro defense, my LBs wouldn't exceed 6'5" in length and 255 in weight. I want my guys to be lower than the tackle they're going against so they can gain leverage over them every time. Look at Elvis Dumerveil, James Harrison, Tamba Hali who all are under 6'2"...

The height of Quinn doesn't bother me as much as his weight does for a 3-4 OLB. What about if he has to drop back in coverage? If I'm an OC and I see they're just using him to rush and dropping a nickel back to cover his zone or a FS, I'm going to pick on the opposite side of the field since they're will be less defenders on that side.

Please elaborate further draftniks...

Disagree, although his weight sounds good his frame is pretty average. I think he is better as a 3-4 OLB, his burst is absolutely amazing. Teams in college football have to gameplan around his burst off the ball, he beats his guy off the line nearly everytime. He will be a stud as a stand-up pass rushing OLB in a 3-4

Comment

3-4 Teams showed interest in Julius Peppers this off season. It's not nearly as big of an issue as you think. We don't know for sure Quinn weighs 270 either. I've seen as low as 255.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

You mention Dumervil, Harrison and Hali, but both Shawn Merriman and Demarcus Ware are both 6'4, 265. There are plenty of excellent (or in this case, formerly excellent) 3-4 OLBs who are Quinn's height. Quinn is more then capable of playing in a 3-4. In fact, one of his greatest attributes as a prospect is that he's scheme versatile. He could work as a weakside end in a 4-3 scheme, and I know that Scott really likes him there, but he's fluid in his movements and with experience could learn to maneuver in space and in coverage. Alot of people like placing premier pass rushers in 3-4 systems because it gives them a wider angle when attacking the offensive tackle and more space is involved, meaning there is a lesser chance of the OT getting locked in.

Quinn will be fine in either scheme. Nothing about his height/weight suggests to me that he's incapable of playing in a 3-4.
        Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
        The APS is strong in this one.
        Originally posted by killxswitch
        Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

Robert Quinn - 6'4 265 (est.)
          Tamba Hali - 6'3 275
          DeMarcus Ware - 6'4 262
          Terrell Suggs - 6'3 265

It's not like he's lacking athleticism at all. As a 3-4 OLB, he'll be just fine at that size.

Comment

Don't forget about Jason Taylor too. Didn't always play in a strict 3-4 but was in two point stance quite a bit. 6'6'', 255.
            aka KGB Chicken

Comment

Leverage is hard to get when a guy has a burst off the ball.
              **** her in da *****!

Comment

Originally posted by descendency View Post
                Leverage is hard to get when a guy has a burst off the ball.
                Which is why he would play his best in a 3-4

Comment

Remember Peter Boulware??

That's why teams see Quinn as a potential world beater at 34 OLB.

All depends who drafts him, but I can easily see Quinn making the transition to playing standing up.

I think Quinn is a difference maker in any scheme and why I believe he goes in the top 15.

Comment

Shaun Merriman 6'4.5" 275 4.6 40 coming out...

DeMarcus Ware 6'5" 265 4.5 40

Terrell Suggs 6'4" 260 4.6

Manny Lawson 6'6" 241 4.4

Michael Johnson 6'7" 266 4.6 (Starts at OLB for the Bengals IIRC)

There are more, i just cant remember. Him likely coming in at 6'4" and weighing at like 265, is not close to an issue. Reminds me a LOT of Terrell Suggs.

Comment

All good points. Any comment regarding Merriman I disregard because that guys been on roids since his Maryland days.

My numbers were off on Hali so my bad on that one. So after reviewing some numbers, looks like Quinn would fit in with other 3-4 OLB's that are successful in the league. Guess I'd just be worried about his versatility between rushing and covering. I never dive into stats too much but I've never known Suggs, Ware or Hali to be good coverage LBs but that's not really the responsibility of a WOLB in a 3-4 system.

I'd still prefer to run him in a 4-3 defense with his hand down in the ground. Quinn is an amazing pass rusher so as long as he lands on a team with a good 3-4 scheme, he should be productive.

Manny Lawson has been a bust and would be more beneficial if the 49ers ran a 4-3. His former college teammate may struggle in the 3-4 scheme now that the Texans will be running a 3-4. Will Super Mario be able to play a WDE in a 3-4 or will they stand his HUGE frame up and make him rush off the edge as a WOLB?

Comment

There are 34 OLBs who are almost strictly pass rushers. They get to the QB by being quick inside, quick outside, changing sides, etc.

On a rare occassion, they drop back and you throw the ball right at them because they blitz so much... and then they drop it.
                        **** her in da *****!

Comment

Manny Lawson is actually a really good linebacker in a 3-4, but not a good pass rusher. I've been very impressed with the sheer number of things you can have him do to help a defense...but he's not really a master of any of them. I wouldn't call him a bust, but he certainly hasn't lived up to his potential. He's still a real good piece player and did not fail out completely.

As far as the general 3-4 OLB versus DE thing goes, I think we're starting to see some of those border torn down anyway. There's obviously guys who are better off playing DE in a 4-3 still(Adrian Clayborn ect) but with the prevalence of the 3-4 these days in conjunction with the demand for pass rushers guys are finding ways to make it work. Tamba Hali is an example of a guy who just a few years ago I would have said was crazy to make into an OLB. Pretty sure he's lost some weight down then and it's helped his mobility...but if you can get to the passer they're going to find a place for you in the NFL regardless of scheme. The thing I'm interested in is how Houston will use Mario Williams when they switch over to a 3-4 next year. That will be interesting to see haha.

But as far as Quinn goes, I think he's fluid enough to be taught to be a decent player in coverage. He's certainly not hurting to athleticism and he doesn't really strike me as a straight line athlete either. As long as you restrict the responsibilities a bit as you do with all OLB predominantly responsible for rushing the passer, it shouldn't be a real problem.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Originally posted by 87Canes View Post
                            All good points. Any comment regarding Merriman I disregard because that guys been on roids since his Maryland days.

My numbers were off on Hali so my bad on that one. So after reviewing some numbers, looks like Quinn would fit in with other 3-4 OLB's that are successful in the league. Guess I'd just be worried about his versatility between rushing and covering. I never dive into stats too much but I've never known Suggs, Ware or Hali to be good coverage LBs but that's not really the responsibility of a WOLB in a 3-4 system.

I'd still prefer to run him in a 4-3 defense with his hand down in the ground. Quinn is an amazing pass rusher so as long as he lands on a team with a good 3-4 scheme, he should be productive.

Manny Lawson has been a bust and would be more beneficial if the 49ers ran a 4-3. His former college teammate may struggle in the 3-4 scheme now that the Texans will be running a 3-4. Will Super Mario be able to play a WDE in a 3-4 or will they stand his HUGE frame up and make him rush off the edge as a WOLB?
                            lol where did u get that from? Merriman had one positive test in his entire NFL career out of quite a few.

Comment

yeah, he is probably closer to 6'4"/260 than he is 6'5"/270 and some people think that he is a better fit in a 3-4 than he is in a 4-3 because the best part of his game is not being stout against the run, it is rushing the passer - and he's definitely athletic enough to play in a 2 point stance. Definitely a versatile player who is a weakside pass rusher in any system.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information