Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Has Mark Ingram Become So Underrated?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Has Mark Ingram Become So Underrated?

Ingram is one of my favorite players in this class, despite a lack of elite speed he has everything else you look for in a prototypical back. His stock has dropped to the point where some are questioning if he's still a first round lock. This is football, not track. Didn't we learn our lesson from another #22 from the SEC nearly 20 years ago?
    Cowboys Mock:
    1. Myles Jack | LB | UCLA
    2. Vernon Butler | DT | LA Tech
    3. Karl Joseph | SS | WVU

I don't think he's underrated, Ingram's draft status hasn't really changed since Sept. 2010.
    IMO he still will be the first RB drafted, if he checks out healthy at the combine.

Comment

I think the RB position becomes less and less valued every year.

Comment

Originally posted by killxswitch View Post
        I think the RB position becomes less and less valued every year.
        yeah and the Packers who like never run winning it all didnt help either.

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonRath View Post
          yeah and the Packers who like never run winning it all didnt help either.
          Neither did the Colts run last year. Or teams like the Patriots manufacturing good running games without a highly touted prospect.
          **** her in da *****!

Comment

Originally posted by descendency View Post
            Neither did the Colts run last year. Or teams like the Patriots manufacturing good running games without a highly touted prospect.
            yeah its not a good time to be a RB haha

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.

Comment

He's going to make some team very happy if he falls towards the end of the first round. I know it goes against recent history and their running game was pretty solid with lawfirm, but I just keep getting this feeling that he fits perfectly in new england. Nick Saban, Bill Belichick...it's possible.

I know conventional wisdom will say that their offense is elite and all picks should go towards the defense, which has it's merits. However, I feel that after their recent playoff woes and one-and-dones, the Pats are gonna go back to what won them games, and that isn't an elite offense; it's a team with a great running game that can milk out their lead and a good defense.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

The 300+ carry a year back is largely dead. The prevailing thought right now is that unless there's an absolutely special runner(Adrian Peterson) then the value is not there until the late first round. Ingram is a good runningback and a long term starter for someone, but he's not a special back at the NFL level. Potentially a great back and the best one in the draft in all likelihood....but not a special one.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

St. Louis Rams.
                  "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

Running backs who get a lot of carries take so many hits from defensive players, that a guy just can't get 300+ touches and be successful year after year, so you basically need multiple RBs to succeed in this league. And unlike other positions where you need more than one, your tandem of RBs don't really help each other since they're not generally on the field together. Or at least, they're not generally on the field together where both will have their rushing skills utilized.

Combine that with the fact that teams have had so much success with later round or other bargain guys, and that we've recently had a string of first round undewhelming RBs (C.J. Spiller, Ryan Matthews, Jahvid Best, Knowshon Moreno, Donald Brown, Beanie Wells I'm looking at you) that the perception is that the value of the position is depressed.

Personally, I'm of the mind that to justify taking a running back in the top 20, he needs to be special at something. RBs who are "not elite, but pretty good at everything" are not worth top 20 picks IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
                      Running backs who get a lot of carries take so many hits from defensive players, that a guy just can't get 300+ touches and be successful year after year, so you basically need multiple RBs to succeed in this league. And unlike other positions where you need more than one, your tandem of RBs don't really help each other since they're not generally on the field together. Or at least, they're not generally on the field together where both will have their rushing skills utilized.

Combine that with the fact that teams have had so much success with later round or other bargain guys, and that we've recently had a string of first round undewhelming RBs (C.J. Spiller, Ryan Matthews, Jahvid Best, Knowshon Moreno, Donald Brown, Beanie Wells I'm looking at you) that the perception is that the value of the position is depressed.

Personally, I'm of the mind that to justify taking a running back in the top 20, he needs to be special at something. RBs who are "not elite, but pretty good at everything" are not worth top 20 picks IMO.
                      That's the opinion of draftniks, but it's been the opinion of draftniks for a few years now. But teams still take runners in the first round who are nowhere near AD as a prospect.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                      Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                      Originally posted by njx9
                      do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

People are forgetting that he had knee surgery during the season which played a huge role in his down year. Some people question his burst and speed but I'd say it is very good (but not elite)

You can't downplay Ingram's best asset -- his balance and body control. He runs extremely similar to maurice jones drew and emmit smith. His balance is amazing and that's what makes him special. I think he will be a terrifc back

Comment

Premier runningbacks are going relatively extinct. A #2 or #3 receiver is almost just as important as a runningback nowadays.
                          Last edited by kalbears13; 02-07-2011, 02:00 PM.

Comment

There were people who argued that Knowshon Moreno's speed didn't matter. Moreno's speed isn't great and I would argue that's what's holding him back from being a special NFL back. Maybe Ingram will be a star, but I'm not convinced he's the next Emmitt Smith yet. He ran behind some good O-lines at Alabama and had guys like Julio Jones to keep defenses from focusing too much on stopping the run.

Comment

I was a little down on Ingram for a bit but my opinion of him is steadily rising as of late. There used to be a bit of question if he was the top back in the class but now there's little doubt in my mind.

But there's two reasons he's become underrated by some (I like him a lot but I don't think he's SO UNDERRATED). One is he has no outstanding physical tools and isn't a flashy prospect. He's not a freak athlete and he's not really going to be a home run hitter at the next level. Secondly, his production. His 2010 season was underwhelming statistically, for a potential top 15 pick. Though he missed two games, he only had 875 yards (down 783 from last year), 5.5 ypc (down 0.5), 13 TD's (still impressive) and only two 100 yard games (7 less than the previous year). I gotta think the answer to the OP's question has a lot to do with these two things.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information