WR's - Is Speed Overrated?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WR's - Is Speed Overrated?

I dont think you have to be a 4.3 guy,or even 4.4 guy to be a Elite wide receiver any more. With all the no touch after 5 yard rules thing. After 5 yards 95% of wr's are full speed and Db back pedaling wr wins.
    and as long as you have very good hands, and run perfect routes you will be fine. So who are the best route runners in this draft? i like Austin Pettis alot 6'3 205 great hands 4.59/40 some team is going to get a steal with this guy.

Lenard Hankerson runs pretty nice routes too. I also like Darvin Adams too nice clean route runner as well.

Route running and hands are most important for a WR prospect, but flat out straight line speed determines more what a WR does after the catch.

Jerry Rice could take a 10 yard slant and turn it into a 60 yard score because despite popular belief, he was kinda FAST.

Fast WRs have a greater chance to get open on most routes because DBs typically give them a bigger cushion at the LOS.

You don't have to run a 4.3 to be a star NFL WR, but damn it sure does help to be one of the fastest players on the field when the QB throws you the football.

In the redzone, speed is the least important attribute for a WR; route running is what makes or breaks a WR 20 yards from the endzone.

Comment

Is there a single aspect of physical talent that doesn't get called "overrated" anymore? I'd love to field a team of physically talented players against a team put together by some people here. It would be my team of talented players vs a team of 5'5, 120lb players who take 10 seconds to run a 40 and can't bench 225 even once.

Comment

Originally posted by REDSKINSWARRIOR82 View Post
        I dont think you have to be a 4.3 guy,or even 4.4 guy to be a Elite wide receiver any more. With all the no touch after 5 yard rules thing. After 5 yards 95% of wr's are full speed and Db back pedaling wr wins.
        and as long as you have very good hands, and run perfect routes you will be fine. So who are the best route runners in this draft? i like Austin Pettis alot 6'3 205 great hands 4.59/40 some team is going to get a steal with this guy.

Lenard Hankerson runs pretty nice routes too. I also like Darvin Adams too nice clean route runner as well.
        Agree that speed is highly overrated. You need to be fast, but elite speed isn't necessary but is just a nice to have.

Great hands, route running, ability to shake off contact at the LOS, ability to make reads and adjust routes based on QB blitz calls or what the defense is showing, ability to catch the ball in traffic across the middle, and blocking ability are all important. All but the last two are more important than being a 4.3 vs a 4.5. Look at the best WRs in the NFL. The vast majority are in the 4.45-4.6 range.

Comment

You never had to be a 4.4 guy to be an elite WR in the league.

Theres a reason guys like Rice, Chris Carter, Art Monk, Isaac Bruce, Michael Irvin... etc are among the best ever

Comment

Originally posted by Halsey View Post
            Is there a single aspect of physical talent that doesn't get called "overrated" anymore? I'd love to field a team of physically talented players against a team put together by some people here. It would be my team of talented players vs a team of 5'5, 120lb players who take 10 seconds to run a 40 and can't bench 225 even once.
            I think your reaction to this thread is overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
              Route running and hands are most important for a WR prospect, but flat out straight line speed determines more what a WR does after the catch.

Jerry Rice could take a 10 yard slant and turn it into a 60 yard score because despite popular belief, he was kinda FAST.

Fast WRs have a greater chance to get open on most routes because DBs typically give them a bigger cushion at the LOS.

You don't have to run a 4.3 to be a star NFL WR, but damn it sure does help to be one of the fastest players on the field when the QB throws you the football.

In the redzone, speed is the least important attribute for a WR; route running is what makes or breaks a WR 20 yards from the endzone.

Ok what if you get a WR that runs a 4.2 , but cant run route or catch the football. give me Tall 6'4 210 pound guys that have golden hands , and run routes like Marvin Harrison any day of the week.

Comment

Originally posted by Clarkw267 View Post
                You never had to be a 4.4 guy to be an elite WR in the league.

Theres a reason guys like Rice, Chris Carter, Art Monk, Isaac Bruce, Michael Irvin... etc are among the best ever
                Jordy Nelson? This year's guy for me would be Austin Pettis of Boise St. Size, great hands and enough speed on gameday.

Comment

Ok what if you get a WR that runs a 4.2 , but cant run route or catch the football. give me Tall 6'4 210 pound guys that have golden hands , and run routes like Marvin Harrison any day of the week.
                  no one would chose the 4.2 guy with no hands and cant run routes..

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
                    Agree that speed is highly overrated. You need to be fast, but elite speed isn't necessary but is just a nice to have.

Great hands, route running, ability to shake off contact at the LOS, ability to make reads and adjust routes based on QB blitz calls or what the defense is showing, ability to catch the ball in traffic across the middle, and blocking ability are all important. All but the last two are more important than being a 4.3 vs a 4.5. Look at the best WRs in the NFL. The vast majority are in the 4.45-4.6 range.

Yeah but DeSean Jackson, and Mike Wallace are pretty awesome, and Andre Johnson , and Calvin can fly too. IF you can find Wr,s that are very fast,and have great hands, and run very good route then you just back up a bricks truck into their garage and sign a blank check.

Comment

sounds like djk

Comment

Originally posted by Halsey View Post
                        Come on man, i didnt say the wr had to be 5'5 120

i am just sick of tired of guys that cant play going in round 1, top 8 like troy Williamson and DHB, While guys that can play go in round 3 or 4.Pisses me off to no end.

Comment

Yeah but DeSean Jackson, and Mike Wallace are pretty awesome, and Andre Johnson , and Calvin can fly too. IF you can find Wr,s that are very fast,and have great hands, and run very good route then you just back up a bricks truck into their garage and sign a blank check.
                          That goes without saying. I said it was a "nice to have" after most of the other requirements. It should be a factor, but not a heavily weighted one, all other things considered.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonRath View Post
                            no one would chose the 4.2 guy with no hands and cant run routes..
                            Well Oakland took DHB ,and Vikins took Troy Williamson, and someone too Ted Ginn top 10.

Comment

As a Raven fan, no it is not.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information