Cam Jordan over JJ Watt??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam Jordan over JJ Watt??

Can anyone please explain to me why he is being ranked over JJ Watt?? I really don't see one thing that he does better.

Cam Jordan had a monster senior week. He was the best player on the field.
    Dominating everyone. JJ Watt will be a bum in the NFL, like Adam Carriker
    GO RAVENS

Comment

I'm a huge fan of Cam Jordan, so Im probably a little bias, but I think he's a more explosive player then Watt. Watt is definitely huge, and strong, but I think Jordan has a little more quickness coming around the edge and while he isn't as strong at the POA, he can certainly hold his own. I think most people view them both as 5 techs, but Im of the mind that Jordan could play LDE in a 4-3 at a very high level a la Justin Tuck. Watt could definitely play there as well, Im just not sure I see the burst off the line to be successful as a pass rusher in a 4-3.

Overall, I think Jordan is a little more explosive and a little more scheme versatile. That said, I know that some guys like TACKLE disagree with me here, so this could just be what I see.
      Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
      The APS is strong in this one.
      Originally posted by killxswitch
      Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

I don't think you can go wrong with either Watt or Jordan. Both will be impact players.

Carriker actually played well this year as a 3-4 DE for the Redskins. He was injured during his time in St. Louis and misused as a 4-3 DT at 6'6.

Comment

Both will be picked in the same vicinity and be impact players for their respective teams. Like previously stated, you really can't go wrong with either.

Comment

Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
            I'm a huge fan of Cam Jordan, so Im probably a little bias, but I think he's a more explosive player then Watt. Watt is definitely huge, and strong, but I think Jordan has a little more quickness coming around the edge and while he isn't as strong at the POA, he can certainly hold his own. I think most people view them both as 5 techs, but Im of the mind that Jordan could play LDE in a 4-3 at a very high level a la Justin Tuck. Watt could definitely play there as well, Im just not sure I see the burst off the line to be successful as a pass rusher in a 4-3.

Overall, I think Jordan is a little more explosive and a little more scheme versatile. That said, I know that some guys like TACKLE disagree with me here, so this could just be what I see.
            Yeah, I was going to post something but I realized I would basically just be paraphrasing this. My take on the issue as well. I think the number one thing Jordan has over Watt is the scheme versatility. He's a guy you can realistically project anywhere with the exception of nose tackle in a 3-4. I'm salivating at the prospect on the Patriots drafting him then moving him around in our sub-packages.

As far as Watt goes, I'm very much a fan...but he's just a lot more raw than Jordan is and a similar talent. He has the size advantage and could end up being HUUUGE(He looks skinny for 6'6 292.) and that's certainly a plus, but besides that there's not much he has on him.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Watt should have put up better sack numbers because he played end in a 4-3 scheme. Jordan put up very similar sack totals as an end in a gap-control 3-4 scheme.

Comment

I definitely don't see Jordan being more explosive.

Originally posted by Unbiased View Post
                Watt should have put up better sack numbers because he played end in a 4-3 scheme. Jordan put up very similar sack totals as an end in a gap-control 3-4 scheme.
                Watt was also third in the nation for TFL and had 3 forced fumbles and blocked some kicks. The guy was everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post

Although I prefer Watt and think he could end up being the most disruptive defensive lineman in this draft other than Fairley, I'm not in strong disagreement with anything you said.

The one thing I do disagree on is Cameron Jordan being more scheme diverse. I've very much changed my tune on is what position Jordan belongs at. He needs to be a LE in a 4-3 all the way. If he can drop 10lbs that would be even better. As a 3-4 DE he worries me some and think he may struggle there especially in a two gap scheme. Despite having the right size for a 5-tech being 6'4 and just under 290, he is a finesse player. When lined up inside, I've yet to see him flash impressive power and he doesn't have much of a bull rush at all. He can hold his ground in the interior but he's not going to be a guy who can overpower guards inside. IMO, he just lacks the physicality to be a full time interior player. Whereas playing LE in the 4-3 caters much more to his strengths. He has a really nice repertoire of pass rush moves, he's quick off the ball, can get up field and turn the corner. In a 4-3, I'm a believer in Cam Jordan. In a 3-4, not so much. I know most would probably disagree but that's just what I see when I watch him.

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaFootball1 View Post
                    I definitely don't see Jordan being more explosive.

Watt was also third in the nation for TFL and had 3 forced fumbles and blocked some kicks. The guy was everywhere.
                    I dont think Jordan is all that explosive either and i saw a ton of Pac-10 games this year. The game that stood out for me in watching Watt was the Ohio st. game where he showed great closing speed in getting to Pryor. I dont think you can go wrong with either.

Comment

Watt is more athletic than Jordan if you ask me, I'd say it's the other way around from what someone posted earlier, that Watt is the better pass rusher and Cam Jordan is the better run defender at this point. Both should be great in the NFL though depending on what situation they end up in.

Comment

Originally posted by GoRavens View Post
                        Cam Jordan had a monster senior week. He was the best player on the field.
                        Dominating everyone. JJ Watt will be a bum in the NFL, like Adam Carriker
                        Carriker might have been the best player on the line for the Skins this past year (not saying a lot but you get the point). He's transitioned pretty well into the 3-4 where he originally belonged anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Thirty View Post
                          Carriker might have been the best player on the line for the Skins this past year (not saying a lot but you get the point). He's transitioned pretty well into the 3-4 where he originally belonged anyway.
                          Absolutely. I mean Carriker was playing 4-3 NT at 6'6 for majority of his career. Schematically, it was one of the worst possible fits for him. Seeing a lot of Adam Carriker in a DE prospect is not a bad thing at all.

Comment

Yeah, I haven't given up on Carriker yet either. He was over-drafted and misused, but he still has a chance to be a real good player now that he's playing in a friendly scheme. I was impressed when I saw him last year. Cautionary tale about drafting tall tackles into a 4-3 defense though.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Originally posted by TACKLE View Post
                              Although I prefer Watt and think he could end up being the most disruptive defensive lineman in this draft other than Fairley, I'm not in strong disagreement with anything you said.

The one thing I do disagree on is Cameron Jordan being more scheme diverse. I've very much changed my tune on is what position Jordan belongs at. He needs to be a LE in a 4-3 all the way. If he can drop 10lbs that would be even better. As a 3-4 DE he worries me some and think he may struggle there especially in a two gap scheme. Despite having the right size for a 5-tech being 6'4 and just under 290, he is a finesse player. When lined up inside, I've yet to see him flash impressive power and he doesn't have much of a bull rush at all. He can hold his ground in the interior but he's not going to be a guy who can overpower guards inside. IMO, he just lacks the physicality to be a full time interior player. Whereas playing LE in the 4-3 caters much more to his strengths. He has a really nice repertoire of pass rush moves, he's quick off the ball, can get up field and turn the corner. In a 4-3, I'm a believer in Cam Jordan. In a 3-4, not so much. I know most would probably disagree but that's just what I see when I watch him.
                              Thats a harsh 180 from where you were a week ago when I was telling you Jordan would be best in a 4-3. Nice to see you've come around :D
                              Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                              The APS is strong in this one.
                              Originally posted by killxswitch
                              Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information