Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

QB Derby Coming Down to Newton and Gabbert?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QB Derby Coming Down to Newton and Gabbert?

After the Senior Bowl Jake Locker seems to be in a bit of a freefall among the prognosticators. Looks like he hooked Ryan Mallett on the way by as well. The "top four" has split by all appearances into two distinct levels. Maybe due to the fact that Newton and Gabbert are younger, fresher, and shinier, and haven't been subject to the same relentless scrutiny.

Right now I think Newton and Gabbert by far have the most potential out of the QB's, and that will be the reason they are the first 2 QB's taken. I still think Locker is the safest QB to pick(which is sad)

"Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
    @SirStackAlot707

Comment

FoxSports.com's Adam Caplan believes Arkansas QB Ryan Mallett is "almost certain" to drop out of the first round of this year's draft.

"Wouldn't shock me to see Mallett fall to the third," added Caplan, alluding to the Razorback's "baggage." Quarterbacks with Mallett's arm strength and pedigree rarely free-fall at draft time, but he's already drawing comparisons to Jimmy Clausen and Ryan Leaf for his attitude and personality. Scouts have also called into question his decision-making and ability to read coverages.
      My sig pic has now come full circle. Lucky me.

No offense, but your Raiders draft sucks.

Comment

It should Locker and Newton be taken off first but that is just me.Gabbert's over hype around here doesn't impress me where his stats don't compare to others coming out of a spread offense.A bad year or not.Mallet would be a steal in the second IMO as well.ONly people worry about is his mobility.We won't know until April we won't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Abaddon View Post
          FoxSports.com's Adam Caplan believes Arkansas QB Ryan Mallett is "almost certain" to drop out of the first round of this year's draft.

"Wouldn't shock me to see Mallett fall to the third," added Caplan, alluding to the Razorback's "baggage." Quarterbacks with Mallett's arm strength and pedigree rarely free-fall at draft time, but he's already drawing comparisons to Jimmy Clausen and Ryan Leaf for his attitude and personality. Scouts have also called into question his decision-making and ability to read coverages.
          Ive been calling that for two months. Ive said over and over that Ryan Mallett won't get drafted any higher then where Jimmy Clausen went last year.
          Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
          The APS is strong in this one.
          Originally posted by killxswitch
          Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Tebowfan85 View Post
            It should Locker and Newton be taken off first but that is just me.Gabbert's over hype around here doesn't impress me where his stats don't compare to others coming out of a spread offense.A bad year or not.Mallet would be a steal in the second IMO as well.ONly people worry about is his mobility.We won't know until April we won't know.
            Thing is Gabbert is getting all the hype before working out for the scouts. Combine type situations figure to be a strength based on his athletic ability. He certainly owned them as a recruit out of highschool competing against other top QBs of his class. Also, the interview process. You can argue areas like arm strength, accuracy, speed, etc. among the top four guys and beyond. But if you listen to Gabbert interview, he is easily the best in that area. It seems like the worst is behind in terms of the draft process, as far as he is concerned. If anything he should rise from here.

Comment

I believe if the draft was today Cam Newton and Blain Gabbert would likely be the only two quarterbacks selected in the first round. I also believe teams would be split on who was number one and who was number two. I think the same could be said about who is number three and who is number four. I think there could be a small chance that either Locker or Mallett could be taken in the late 20's, likely by a team trading back into the first round. I could see a domino effect happen with the quarterback prospects once the third quarterback comes off the board. I could see the fourth quarterback (Locker or Mallett) being taken near the top of the 2nd round and then Christian Ponder, Andy Dalton, Ricky Stanzi, and Pat Devlin being taken within the next 16 picks followed by Kaepernik being taken around the end of the 2nd or early in the 3rd.

Comment

Locker will very likely wow teams in the interviews and individual workouts. I think he could go top-10 (Washington). If he doesn't go there, I don't see him falling past Jacksonville.

Originally posted by SolidGold
                Bortlezzzzzzz
                Originally posted by Monomach
                Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 

Comment

Anyone think Newton might suffer the Todd Marinovich effect...ie having an over involved/over bearing father interfere in his life?

Comment

Originally posted by Day One Pick View Post
                    I believe if the draft was today Cam Newton and Blain Gabbert would likely be the only two quarterbacks selected in the first round. I also believe teams would be split on who was number one and who was number two. I think the same could be said about who is number three and who is number four. I think there could be a small chance that either Locker or Mallett could be taken in the late 20's, likely by a team trading back into the first round. I could see a domino effect happen with the quarterback prospects once the third quarterback comes off the board. I could see the fourth quarterback (Locker or Mallett) being taken near the top of the 2nd round and then Christian Ponder, Andy Dalton, Ricky Stanzi, and Pat Devlin being taken within the next 16 picks followed by Kaepernik being taken around the end of the 2nd or early in the 3rd.
                    Too many people are predicting all these QB's to be taken within the 1st 2 rounds.
                    I honestly view it like this:
                    Newton - top 10 pick, someone will jump on that train
                    Gabbert - 10-20 top pick
                    Locker - late 1st/early 2nd
                    Mallett - late 2nd/early 3rd
                    Ponder - 3rd
                    Stanzi/Dalton/Devlin - one in the 3rd
                    Rest of the pack - 4th-5th round

I remember just a few months ago people were asking if 5 QB's would go in the 1st. Not sure if that included Luck or not, but people here, no offense, always miss on the QB's. Last year at least half the board was proclaiming Clausen for the 1st pick or top 10, and how close he was to Bradford.

Comment

Originally posted by jrdrylie View Post
                      Locker will very likely wow teams in the interviews and individual workouts. I think he could go top-10 (Washington). If he doesn't go there, I don't see him falling past Jacksonville.
                      I do see him starting to move up even now, i know it was an All Star challenge over the weekend but he came across as very mature and was also very good with his accuracy too. The interviews as you say is where he will have an advantage, he just comes off as this mature, blue caller guy that you'd probably want to sit down and have a pint with.

to rank them now is probably a bit early because i think all 4 could see their stock change quite a bit in the next couple of months.

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon View Post
                        I do see him starting to move up even now, i know it was an All Star challenge over the weekend but he came across as very mature and was also very good with his accuracy too. The interviews as you say is where he will have an advantage, he just comes off as this mature, blue caller guy that you'd probably want to sit down and have a pint with.

to rank them now is probably a bit early because i think all 4 could see their stock change quite a bit in the next couple of months.
                        Very good with accuracy? Didn't see that. When he missed he missed BAD, IE missed the entire board or put the ball in the dirt. He made excuses for his bad throws to the other QBs. Also, his interviews didn't come across well to me. He appeared to be a rush. Dudes been faking it for some time now.
                        Kaepernick is this years pat white. Thin, gimmick offense and doesn't possess an nfl arm. The ncaa constantly regurgitates clones of past players and amazingly enough, tricks some people into thinking they're better than their cloned half. Kaepernick was a complete waste of a senior bowl qb spot. A better qb will come from the east/west shrine or whatever they're calling it now...count on it

- Genius

Comment

Originally posted by Day One Pick View Post
                          I believe if the draft was today Cam Newton and Blain Gabbert would likely be the only two quarterbacks selected in the first round. I also believe teams would be split on who was number one and who was number two.
                          I agree with this and think it will be the dynamic that shapes the top end of the draft. If the two stay close in terms of perceived value, teams will start to shift position once one of them is off the board. If one pulls ahead as the clear cut choice then either Carolina takes him or another team trades up for the top pick to take him.

Comment

The latest a QB will come off the board is to Cincy. Carson Palmer genuinely seems like he's sick of being the QB there and is willing to hang it up if that's how he has to get out.

Sooo... with that in mind Cam Newton or Ryan Mallett seems perfect to be the #1 QB.
                            **** her in da *****!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Bolt View Post
                              Very good with accuracy? Didn't see that. When he missed he missed BAD, IE missed the entire board or put the ball in the dirt. He made excuses for his bad throws to the other QBs. Also, his interviews didn't come across well to me. He appeared to be a rush. Dudes been faking it for some time now.
                              His accuracy after the 1st round of throws was better than the others, he also had his throws right on the money to Pettis, who i really like. the whole event was an exhibition so take it for what it's worth for sure.

As for the interviews i think he always comes off confident and a gentelman, praising others around him and using the word "we" when talking about his accomplishments.

I understand if people dont like/want the guy due to his senior year and accuracy issues, i get that. To say he comes across as a guy who is faking something is borderline idiotic.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information