Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ryan Mallet a 3rd Round Prospect at Best?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryan Mallet a 3rd Round Prospect at Best?

According to guys like Adam Caplan and Albert Breer, all of those pesky "off the field" issues will turn off every team in the NFL from picking Mallet in the first round.

Mel Kiper has even removed Mallet from his Big Board.

Adam Caplan says:

http://twitter.com/caplannfl - "Wouldn't shock me to see Mallett fall to the 3rd."

I think there's enough teams in need of a quarterback to allow him to atleast be selected some time in the 2nd round. Aside from the teams looking for a starter, there's a few teams in need of an heir apparent to groom for the future or in need of a capeable backup.

Comment

I don't think he'll fall all the way to the third round, but I think after interviews at the combine, he'll be a second round prospect in most people's eyes. A lot of teams (Jacksonville for sure) will ocmpletely take him off their boards. I think a good landing spot is Cincinnati. They always take guys with character issues.

Originally posted by SolidGold
      Bortlezzzzzzz
      Originally posted by Monomach
      Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 

Comment

He won't make it past the Titans in the 2nd round (assuming no QB is taken Rd1)

Comment

I see him as a second rounder at this point. Cincinnati at #35 makes sense, and if not then maybe Tennessee or Minnesota (if they pass on QBs in round one, which I'm currently not projecting.)

Comment

I love QBs and I don't think Mallett is first round material, at this point. Intelligence questions, combined with poor mobility and pocket presence, are not good signs.

Comment

Mallett is definitely a first round pick if he doesn't have the character issues. Too bad for him he's a doofus. Some team will take him in round 2 at worst IMO, it's worth the risk of taking a guy with all the tools to be a pro bowl QB with only a 2nd round pick, too much upside.

Comment

What are the rumored character/off the field issues? That is, other than having attended Michigan at one point in his career.

I saw him act like a little ***** when he was hit in the Sugar Bowl, so I could see that he might be immature.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
                  What are the rumored character/off the field issues? That is, other than having attended Michigan at one point in his career.

I saw him act like a little ***** when he was hit in the Sugar Bowl, so I could see that he might be immature.
                  Rumoured hard drug use is one I have heard.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

I still think Mallet is first round material. I think he matured a lot this past year, he did let his emotions get the best of him at times when he would get frustrated but overall he seemed like more of a team player, supporting teammates (like when he was knocked out of the Auburn game). Watching the skills challenge last weekend he seemed legitimately excited to be there competing and having fun.

His game improved vastly from his sophomore to junior years, his arm is amazing and some team will fall in love with it, his accuracy is pretty good but he does get flustered under pressure.

I have heard the rumors of hard drug use too, I think most of his stock will be dependent upon how he performs at the combine and addresses those issues with GMs/Scouts/Coaches during one on one interviews.

Comment

Rumor is he is a Ryan Leaf type locker room cancer waiting to happen.
                      **** her in da *****!

Comment

Thanks guys. Had no idea about the drugs/locker room cancer stuff.

Comment

It's a shame how rumors can revolve around a prospect that are based very little on actual facts.

Let's say the drug rumors turn out to be completely without merit. What other potential character issues are there that could possibly drop a top 10 talent into the 2nd round??

Another thing, why is a fiery temperament good for some guys like Tom Brady, but a huge red flag for a prospect like Mallett???

For Kiper to say he's removing a physical talent like Mallett completely off his board, someone whom I regard as a significantly better QB prospect than someone like Gabbert, makes me wonder if there's something swirling out there about Mallett that scouts are unwilling to disclose in the media???

Or is this just a bunch of BS being tossed at the guy for no good reason??

Comment

I think when it's all said and done he will wind up a second round pick. He has major character concerns, accuracy and touch issues, intelligence questions etc. But at the end of the day he has some serious physical tools and some team will take a chance on him. He issues on the field are fixable with the right coach. He does have top 5 ability but to be a QB you need as much in the way of intangibles off the field as you do physical attributes.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

Mel Kiper's Big Board includes only 25 prospects, meaning it's not saying much that he left Ryan Mallett off it. I think people should pump the brakes on all this drug/character stuff before the NFL Combine. No one knows the facts and worse yet, no one knows where these rumors are even coming from. They may very well be true and if that's the case, it will surely be a red flag. Still, if there are things that are firmly in his past, I don't think the NFL will crucify him over it. He's grown up a whole lot from his High School/Michigan days and aside from occasional frustration on the field, he seems to have a great command of the huddle & respect from his teammates/coaches.

I don't see him dropping to the 3rd. Until I hear from well-respected sources or inside information from Arkansas, I'll remain convinced he belongs in the First Round in this poor class. The NFL Combine interview process will likely turn up what we want to know.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
                              - For daily NFL draft coverage:
                              www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information