Is Aldon Smith A Top 10 Pick?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Aldon Smith A Top 10 Pick?

OK, Aldon Smith has the size, and with with the combine coming in two weeks we will see if he has the timed speed. I have seen a number of Mock Drafts with him going as high as the Tennessee Titans, by some "gurus" like Bucky Brooks. I wanted to get the opinion of some scouts/former scouts what do you think about this guy. Me being the die hard Tampa fan thinks he is the second coming of Simeon Rice but sometimes my judgement gets clouded. At any rate, opinions???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTyDrwMkV-c

Sick Sig by the BONEKRUSHER

Originally posted by Raheem Morris
    Stats are for losers, so you keep looking at stats and we'll keep looking at wins.

I see him as similar to Jason Pierre-Paul last year and currently have him going #11 overall to Houston. Tampa Bay at #20 overall is his absolute floor in my opinion.

Comment

I think he has a very good chance to be 1, but I, personally, wouldn't draft him in the top 10. I tend to like 4 year players with solid progression each year, but I'm getting proven wrong with guys like Carlos Dunlap and Jason Pierre-Paul playing well in the NFL.

Comment

I was really, really dubious about JPP being a high pick last year, but he's a guy who definitely exceeded my expectations his rookie season.

Just sayin'.

Comment

I like Aldon Smith a lot, though. What really strikes me about him are his arms. He's been really good at extending and dragging down/tripping up quarterbacks. It reminds me of the way that long-armed, strong-handed wide receivers are able to extend for the football; Smith can extend and grab onto ballcarriers in a similar way. I like him better as a 4-3 end than a 3-4 outside linebacker.
          Last edited by Caulibflower; 02-10-2011, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Said it on another board...I've been trying not to like him because I'm weary of guys with limited college production who come out when the hype is hot...that said there's really very little to dislike...he's got some Terrell Suggs to his game which is obviously a good thing...I think he could handle 3-4 OLB if someone wanted to, but I'd rather see him get drafted into a 4-3, at least for his early years.

The 3-4 OLB position is no fun for young players, and I think we're far enough away from Ware/Merriman to kind of sit back and think about that now...it's a veterans position because it requires an intellect and instinct for the game at a pro level that 99.9% of rookies just won't have. Suggs started out as a rush DE for the Ravens...I think it's probably the best way to get a guy in there if you're operating a 3-4 D.
            Last edited by SenorGato; 02-10-2011, 08:17 PM.

Comment

His production wasn't "limited." He had 11.5 sacks and 19 TFL as a RS Freshman, and was first-team Big Twelve again last year. He's young, but it's not like he's a one-year wonder; that label should be reserved for players who were mediocre until the season before they declared. Aldon Smith has never been a mediocre college player.

Comment

Originally posted by Calubflower View Post
                His production wasn't "limited." He had 11.5 sacks and 19 TFL as a RS Freshman, and was first-team Big Twelve again last year. He's young, but it's not like he's a one-year wonder; that label should be reserved for players who were mediocre until the season before they declared. Aldon Smith has never been a mediocre college player.
                Holy **** that is still amazing.

No one is ever going to read any of your posts again.
                Last edited by gpngc; 02-10-2011, 08:33 PM.
                "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

Like all juniors, his Combine and/or personal workout will decide where he is drafted. Has real potential but this draft is deep in DE's and some could fall if teams believe they can get a solid one in round 2.
                  And proud of it!!!

Comment

I can't see a 3-4 team taking him in the top 10, but he looks like someone who could make an instant impact on a 4-3, so that team might take him in the top 15.

Comment

Aldon will rip it up at the Combine and in the interviews. He is a bright kid.

Comment

In my opinion, Aldon Smith has the highest ceiling of any 4-3 DE in the draft, but then again I have some serious man love for him.

Just depends on if he gets on a 4-3 team with a good defensive coordinator and also use him correctly.

Comment

I've watched about 3 vids on him now and absolutely love this kid ... I have him #6 overall on my draft board now ... I think he'll solidify that ranking at the combine ... his use of hands and pass rushing moves were pretty advanced for a redshirt sophomore ... his motor is amazing ... his athleticism and length is unquestionable ... plays a little high at times, but so do most DEs ... He was more stout against the run than I had anticipated ..

I do see him as a better fit for a 43 team though ... he rushed from the UT position as well as the DE position a lot at Mizzou ... he's a monster.

Comment

He's got a great motor, hopefully he doesn't tank like so many other "can't miss" DE's.

Comment

I was wondering what are the knocks on the guy if any? I have seen some highlights but only a couple of Mizzou games. I know limited experience is one.

Sick Sig by the BONEKRUSHER

Originally posted by Raheem Morris
                              Stats are for losers, so you keep looking at stats and we'll keep looking at wins.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information