Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland

Is Torrey Smith a reach at 32??? Any insight on him as a player?? High character type of player?

His highlight video on youtube is pretty impressive. At this point I think he needs to be a Packer!

Hes a great character guy.

I love everything about his game. I just question the way he catches. If he can prove in the combine that he can consistently catch with his hands, he would in no way be a reach in the top 25 imo.

Comment

Yeah I did notice he sometimes catches the ball with his body.

Comment

He is definitely not a reach at the end of the first, in fact, I dont even think he makes it to 32. However, I wonder why you would even care to have him as a Pack fan. Your receiving core is stacked.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseKnuckles View Post
          Yeah I did notice he sometimes catches the ball with his body.
          He does catch the ball with his body way too often. I'd like to see his hand size when he gets to the NFL combine. Is he compensating for something? We'll see eventually.

Helluva college receiver.
          "He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there." Elway's take on Lambert

Comment

I'm pretty sure he graduated this year...Not something you usually hear about guys doing when they go pro...things like that make me think he's going to be a very good pro.

Comment

Originally posted by SenorGato View Post
              I'm pretty sure he graduated this year...Not something you usually hear about guys doing when they go pro...things like that make me think he's going to be a very good pro.
              def graduated in the winter

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig

Comment

Originally posted by MI_Buckeye View Post
                He is definitely not a reach at the end of the first, in fact, I dont even think he makes it to 32. However, I wonder why you would even care to have him as a Pack fan. Your receiving core is stacked.
                Driver's old, James Jones is a free agent/can't catch.

Comment

He's raw and not a polished route runner, but the upside for Torrey is a pro bowl caliber career IMO.
                  I still want to see what his official 40 time is at the combine but I have a feeling he's going to blaze at Indy.

I think Torrey is a great value pick at the end of the 1st and further down the draft.

Comment

Right now I think he's pegged as a target of the Falcons @ 27.

Comment

Well Donald Driver isn't getting any younger... James Jones is inconsisent and a FA so someone might offer him money that the Packers aren't willing to give him. Brett Swain ( our 5th receiver ) is serviceable at best, but a good special teams player.

So there is room for a guy who can make plays and also return kicks/punts. Plus is it a bad thing to give a guy like Rodgers additional playmakers.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseKnuckles View Post
                        Well Donald Driver isn't getting any younger... James Jones is inconsisent and a FA so someone might offer him money that the Packers aren't willing to give him. Brett Swain ( our 5th receiver ) is serviceable at best, but a good special teams player.

So there is room for a guy who can make plays and also return kicks/punts. Plus is it a bad thing to give a guy like Rodgers additional playmakers.
                        I understand what you are saying, I just think they would be better served going in a number of other directions. You're right that it is not a bad thing to supply your all-time great QB with another weapon, but frankly, I think Rodgers is so good you can get 1st round production from a receiver later in the draft. Driver will be back next year, and don't forget they get Jermichael Finley back next season too.

If I were the Packers, I would jump at Leshoure if he were available. Otherwise, I would focus on building depth in the lines or the secondary.

Comment

I understand what you are saying, I just think they would be better served going in a number of other directions. You're right that it is not a bad thing to supply your all-time great QB with another weapon, but frankly, I think Rodgers is so good you can get 1st round production from a receiver later in the draft. Driver will be back next year, and don't forget they get Jermichael Finley back next season too.

If I were the Packers, I would jump at Leshoure if he were available. Otherwise, I would focus on building depth in the lines or the secondary.
                          I highly doubt the packers draft a RB high this year. they got Ryan Grant coming back and have James Starks who showed a little promise this postseason. I think they help out the O-line or get another pass rusher to go along with Clay.

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.

Comment

Let me take a crack at this one, as a Packer fan:

1. Donald Driver is old.
                            2. Jordy Nelson drops passes when he knows he's about to get hit.
                            3. James Jones drops passes when he knows he's about to score a long TD.
                            4. We're spoiled, and don't realize how good Nelson/Jones really are.

And Ryan Grant is 28 years old and coming off of an ankle injury. There's been some speculation that they might cut him, rather than pay the $1.75 Million roster bonus.
                            Last edited by WCH; 02-11-2011, 01:39 PM.

Comment

The other thing for Pack fans is that Jones is pending Free Agency isn't he? They may go ahead and let him walk, and with your GMs ability to pick up quality WRs that fit what the Packers do on offense I wouldn't be afraid to get another rookie in.

I think Jordy Nelson can develop into an even better WR. I think Jennings is a great WR, and very versatile, but I don't know if he's a true #1 WR, as he gets moved around a lot, but then again, does it really matter who is the #1 WR in that offense, the ball gets to whoever is open.

But for the Packers I'd say from what I've seen he'd be a great pickup, but regardless of how many more times I get negged for saying that he's a target for the Falcons at 27, I'll say it again.

Falcons could really use some pass rush, but Matt Ryan deserves more than 1 quality WR. With TG getting a little older, he can't really stretch the middle so much, so Turner gets piled on. So I think the Front office may go more of the way I think they should have gone last year. Quit trying to fix weaknesses, and begin to capitalize on some strengths. Obviously you can't ignore the defensive end position with Abe getting older, and no one else having stepped up yet, but you can't have a QB that is as good as Matt Ryan and not surround him with talent to allow him to reach his full potential.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information