Jadaveon Clowney

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jadaveon Clowney

I know that this guy isn't exactly eligible for the 2011 draft, but how amazing of a prospect does he project to be eventually? He's already physically talented enough, as a high school senior, to play a starter's role in the NFL right now. If it weren't for the eligibility rules, he could be drafted in the first round by an NFL team a la Lebron James.

What are the chances, you guys think, of this guy being the #1 overall prospect in his first year of draft eligibility? I'd think they're pretty high -a DE with this type of physical talent hasn't come along in many years.

ESPN: the Magazine had a bit about "what ever happened to the #1 rated high school prospects over the last 25 years" last issue.

Here are their draft positions dating back to the #1 rated prospect in 1986: #1, #45, Undrafted, #78, #106, #142, #34, Undrafted, #92, #19, #1, #137, #253, #54, #17,#30, #3, Undrafted, #9, #8, #207, #112, In draft (Da'Quan Bowers), In School (Matt Barkley), In School (Ronald Powell).

Being the #1 ranked prospect coming out of high school means precisely nothing in terms of draft position or NFL career. The two guys who went #1 overall after being the #1 prospect (Jeff George and Tim Couch) were busts. The best NFL career of all those players belonged to the one drafted at #92 (Hines Ward).

Get back to me about Clowney in about 3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Zello View Post
      I know that this guy isn't exactly eligible for the 2011 draft, but how amazing of a prospect does he project to be eventually? He's already physically talented enough, as a high school senior, to play a starter's role in the NFL right now. If it weren't for the eligibility rules, he could be drafted in the first round by an NFL team a la Lebron James.

What are the chances, you guys think, of this guy being the #1 overall prospect in his first year of draft eligibility? I'd think they're pretty high -a DE with this type of physical talent hasn't come along in many years.
      you are really asking this now?

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.

Comment

Originally posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
        ESPN: the Magazine had a bit about "what ever happened to the #1 rated high school prospects over the last 25 years" last issue.

Here are their draft positions dating back to the #1 rated prospect in 1986: #1, #45, Undrafted, #78, #106, #142, #34, Undrafted, #92, #19, #1, #137, #253, #54, #17,#30, #3, Undrafted, #9, #8, #207, #112, In draft (Da'Quan Bowers), In School (Matt Barkley), In School (Ronald Powell).

Being the #1 ranked prospect coming out of high school means precisely nothing in terms of draft position or NFL career. The two guys who went #1 overall after being the #1 prospect (Jeff George and Tim Couch) were busts. The best NFL career of all those players belonged to the one drafted at #92 (Hines Ward).

Win

(10 char)

www.minnesotavikingsnation.com

Comment

Originally posted by PossibleCabbage View Post

Kudos for Possible's retort here, he did the homework.

Clowney is also at least about 20-25 lbs. underweight comparable to his position in the NFL as one might expect from an 18-yr-old compared to pro players. He needs experience hitting 220-240-lb RBs in college b/c he's been hitting 175-lb HS RBs, big difference, needs experience going against 330+-lb. tackles pass blocking him vs. the 180-lb HS OTs, etc.
          Last edited by LizardState; 02-12-2011, 02:35 PM.

Comment

There isn't a huge difference between Clowney and other prospects, he's just more physically mature and filled out.

He'll end up 6'6 275 with a 4.6 just like 15-20 other prospects.

Comment

When Clowney enters the draft, there isn't going to be 15-20 other 6'6" 275 guys that run a 4.6 40.

Comment

Yea, basically right now he's a man amongst boys. Comparable to Bowers when he was the #1 prospect. Has the talent to be a top 10 pick but come on it's so damn early.

Stedman Bailey 2012 Stat Tracker:
                12 Games, 106 Rec, 1501 yards, 23 TD's

Steddy Ambition!
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOnISzeG2Ao

Comment

I think there will be. I can name them too?

Comment

Originally posted by ToldLikeItIs View Post
                    I think there will be. I can name them too?
                    You're Ron Burgundy?
                    Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
                    RIP themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by Zello View Post
                      He's already physically talented enough, as a high school senior, to play a starter's role in the NFL right now.
                      No he's not. This is an absolutely ridiculous statement. If you've seen a single photo of him you'd realize that he'd get eaten alive in the NFL.

Comment

Frankly we don't know.
                        Clowney has never had to try.
                        But that doesn't mean going against better competition is going to make him bad by any means. It will just mean that we will see all that he is capable of then.
                        But 6'6/275 is an NFL body for a 4-3 DE. If he can run a 4.6 then he would be one of the most gifted DEs in the draft. I realize he's only 252 right now, but he carries his weight so far pretty well, so I don't think there a doubt that he can easily get there. Also I mean this kid benches like 350 or something which is good, and he is just going to get stronger.
                        So while I can't say he will be great in the NFL now because of the level of competition, just realize that this kid was barely trying at the high school level. They say competition brings out the best in people, so what makes us think that we've seen all this kid can offer?
                        Last edited by DBNYDP; 02-12-2011, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Future #1 overall pick.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by etk View Post
                            Future #1 overall pick.
                            This is probably something you could say about every #1 ranked high school prospect. But we're batting .090 on that dating back to Jeff George.

From the same data set, 13% of all #1 high school prospects weren't drafted at all.

Way, way too early to project what a 17 year-old kid will be like in 3 years. Even the world's greatest prospect can get into serious legal trouble with some bad decisions or suffer career threatening injuries.
                            Last edited by PossibleCabbage; 02-12-2011, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Scouting services are a lot more accurate now then they were in the late 80s and early 90s. Since 1998, of the #1 high school recruits to enter the draft you have four top ten picks, three additional first round picks, and only one guy go undrafted. Barring some unforeseen circumstances, Da'Quan Bowers and Matt Barkley are going to be top ten picks in their respective drafts and are all but locks to go in the first round. From 1986-1997 you have two undrafted guys and only a single first round pick (Jeff George - #1 overall). I'm not saying that Clowney is going to go #1 overall, but recent trends suggest that he has an excellent shot of being a 1st rounder and a good chance at going in the top ten.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information