Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayock's Post-Senior Bowl Rankings

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...e-per-position

If a senior attended any of the post season games, Mayock has pretty well slotted where they rank although the combine and their pro day could still have an impact.
    The juniors and some small college players will be the main focus of the combine and their pro days. It is still to be sorted out just where they will eventually rank.
    And proud of it!!!

That's old. I think he has a new top 5 for all positions somewhere else.

[edit]Oh wait, nevermind...looks like he just updates his old articles with the new rankings. That's the one I saw. [/edit]

Comment

I like seeing Jimmy Smith moving up. He has top 10 attributes. I don't know about his speed, but his size and physicality, patience in press coverage is simply elite for college corners. I've said it before, and the comparison is lofty, but he looks the part of Nnamdi Asomugha. I think he's one of the best players in this draft class.

I'm also starting to come around on Von Miller. The speed and phone booth quickness are obviously elite (something that makes Clay Matthews so difficult to block), but his punch, leverage and strength is much better than I thought it would be. His size is still a deterrent, but he's so fluid and flexible that he would be hard to pass up if he slips out of the top 10. He has the potential to be a great pass rusher.

EDIT: I also want to mention Cameron Jordan. Doesn't get enough talk. I think he's going to be a much better pro than college player. Great size (can also add weight), strength, some heavy punches (great hand fighter), athletic and very quick for 34 DE. Very stout at the point of attack and great against the run. Plays with excellent leverage and has a relentless motor. I think he will develop into one of the better 34 DEs in the NFL. I think he's a top 20 pick.

Still not a fan of Da'Quan Bowers. Mayock said he looks the part of a top 5 pick based solely on his senior season, and I just don't see it. He has potential and he flashes top 5 ability, but I've never seen him really dominate a game (he did against Maryland, but I don't count that since Maryland perennially gets raped against the best pass rushers for 3 to 4 sacks). I also think he struggles to stack and shed blockers against the run. I don't think he'll be an elite pass rusher either. He's still pretty raw. He does have potential, but even though he was productive this year, I just don't think he looked special doing it.

JJ Watt is a guy I need to see more of, but from the knee jerk reaction he got from the Ohio St. game where everyone jumped on his nuts, I would assume thats some of the best tape he has. I saw a pretty average run defender for a guy his size, playing high and getting pushed off the line far too much to color me impressed and, for 2 of his 3 sacks, he was notching coverage / hustle sacks. I wasn't very impressed, but I do need to see a lot more from him before I make any strong comments. I don't think he was dominant like a lot of people thought. I usually like Mayock and agree with most of what he says, so Watt is definitely a player I'll have to look into.
      Last edited by BigBanger; 02-13-2011, 12:22 AM.
      Originally posted by Scott Wright
      I honestly believe Reggie Bush has turned into exactly the type of player I envisioned.
      Originally posted by PossibleCabbage
      I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
      Originally posted by bearsfan_51
      iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
      Originally posted by GatorsBullsFan
      I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
      Originally posted by GoRavens
      Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Comment

He's really, really high on JJ Watt. Interesting.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

I'm glad Locker is second on his list.There is still hope for him going to SF.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBanger View Post
            I like seeing Jimmy Smith moving up. He has top 10 attributes. I don't know about his speed, but his size and physicality, patience in press coverage is simply elite for college corners. I've said it before, and the comparison is lofty, but he looks the part of Nnamdi Asomugha. I think he's one of the best players in this draft class.

I'm also starting to come around on Von Miller. The speed and phone booth quickness are obviously elite (something that makes Clay Matthews so difficult to block), but his punch, leverage and strength is much better than I thought it would be. His size is still a deterrent, but he's so fluid and flexible that he would be hard to pass up if he slips out of the top 10. He has the potential to be a great pass rusher.
            I can't believe Im saying this, but I actually agree with you. Ive likened Smith to Nnamdi before and Ive been advocating him as a legitimate first round pick for a while. Im a big Jimmy Smith fan and Id love to see him in Baltimore come April.
            Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
            The APS is strong in this one.
            Originally posted by killxswitch
            Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricEye View Post
              He's really, really high on JJ Watt. Interesting.
              Not surprising though. Mayock is about the only one of those that do this stuff for a living that seems to be right on a consistant basis.

Comment

Hard to project someone as one of the top 2 CBs in the league (by likening Smith to Asomugha). But when I see Jimmy Smith, I think Chris McAllister. Similar size. The big difference right now seems to be the ball skills. McAllister had 18 college INTs. Smith only had 3 in 3 years, I believe. That's probably keeping in the early 2nd round, IMO.

Comment

Not a fan of Wisniewski apparently. Hard to figure out where this guy's stock is at right now. Defensive end rankings are whack too.

Comment

EDIT: I also want to mention Cameron Jordan. Doesn't get enough talk. I think he's going to be a much better pro than college player. Great size (can also add weight), strength, some heavy punches (great hand fighter), athletic and very quick for 34 DE. Very stout at the point of attack and great against the run. Plays with excellent leverage and has a relentless motor. I think he will develop into one of the better 34 DEs in the NFL. I think he's a top 20 pick.
                    yes i agree cameron jordan is going to be a very good pro. For one thing he is the most VIOLENT player in the draft and will beat olineman anyway possible. Hes like justin tuck but better. He WILL be the best pro DE in this draft.

Comment

I just don't see Dareus being better than Fairley.

Comment

Originally posted by scpanther22 View Post
                        I just don't see Dareus being better than Fairley.
                        As a 4-3 DT, no. As a 3-4 DE, yes. Everybody seems to have them 1 &2 in the DT category for some reason, lack of best guess at what type of defensive scheme will draft them I guess.

Mayock's RB rankings are intriguing:

Running back:

*1. Mark Ingram, Alabama
                        2. Mikel LeShoure, Illinois
                        *3. Daniel Thomas, Kansas State
                        *4. Ryan Williams, Virginia Tech
                        *5. Jacquizz Rodgers, Oregon State
                        LeShoure's stock has been skyrocketing, he's #2 with a bullet here. Can't hurt that he's coming from the same program that produced Rashard Mendenhall.

I wonder, is Jaquizz Rodgers big enough to be an NFL RB? He's listed at 5-7, 188. Then again the same thing was said about Seattle Seahawk Justin Forsett when he was drafted out of Cal too, he's listed at the same height & 8 lbs heavier. Maybe Rodgers can beef up.

And he has Gabbert as the #1 QB, wtf is he thinking?
                        Last edited by LizardState; 02-14-2011, 10:26 AM.

Comment

lol what? people have been talking about Jordan non stop since the SR bowl.

Comment

Mayock still has Aaron Williams as his #3 corner before Harris and Smith as do I, it almost makes me want to pass on CB in the 1st seeing as how Williams could likely be there in the 2nd round and I don't think he's a round worse then Prince.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                            I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by LizardState View Post
                              LeShoure's stock has been skyrocketing, he's #2 with a bullet here. Can't hurt that he's coming from the same program that produced Rashard Mendenhall.
                              I wouldn't be at all surprised to see LeShoure go ahead of Ingram in the actual draft in April. LeShoure seems like a better component of a rotation/committee approach, which most teams tend to favor these days while Ingram is more in the mold of the "workhorse back" approach, which has pretty much disappeared in the modern NFL.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information