Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quarterback Double Standards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Quarterback Double Standards

    Let me start by saying it has become very obvious that people are starting to have preconceived notions about African-American quarterbacks. I’m totally convinced that this has become the case now. Cam Newton has everything you look for in an elite quarterback size, arm, mobility, and the will to win. He has won 2 national championships and has done everything that you can ask of him but he still doesn’t seem to measure up. I can honestly sit here and say that I have never seen a more scrutinized prospect in my years watching football. You would think that Mr. Newton would be a shoe-in for the #1 pick overall but that is far from the case. Why? When the pundits speak about Cam, they always seem to refer back to a couple adjectives that have come to stigmatize African-American quarterbacks. Those adjectives are does he have the “mental capacity” when what they really say is “he too dumb” to learn a system. Another adjective is “character concerns”. I have heard this with Cam and I’m asking myself what are the character concerns. Many people refer to the stolen laptop when he was at Florida, but I don’t think he knew the laptop was stolen. Also, people would like to rip on this guy because his father is involved with his son’s life, are you kidding. The third characteristic is “is he a hard worker” when they really would like to say “he’s probably lazy because he is an African American quarterback”.
    For example, during last year’s draft no one ever talked about Sam Bradford’s work ethic or he being able to pick up the mental side and he came from the spread also. With Tim Tebow, even though he was talked about in a negative way, not one scout or pundits question his brain or work ethic. The saying was “If anyone can pick up the system, it will be Tim Tebow because he is one of the hardest workers you ever would like to be around. These are the type of double standards that really annoy. This is thinking is just a microcosm of our warped society. Even Ryan Leaf is not plastered with those adjectives of being lazy or to dumb. When Andrew Luck was supposedly coming out, he was the best prospect since Peyton Manning. Non African American quarterbacks get compared to the greats, while Cam Newton gets compared Jamarcus Russell, who happens to be a huge bust. Why can’t they compare Andrew Luck to Ryan Leaf or Matt Leinart or Tim Couch or David Carr or Alex Smith? Why does he get the privilege to get Manning comparison (great QB) and Cam Newton gets compared to Russell ( huge bust). Again, double standards it seems like in other situation in our society. African Americans have to set a positive precedent for those who plan to follow. They are not comparing Cam to Warren Moon, Randall Cunningham, or Donovan Mcnabb, no, let’s take the most recent major disappointments and compare him to Russell and Vince Young. By the way, Vince Young IMHO is not a disappointment, he was just in an unfortunate situation, but that is the perception of many.
    I heard Todd Mcshay talk about what are the things that he looks for in his quarterback and his response was intelligence and accuracy, even though Blaine Gabbert has a low completion percentage. My point is, no one has questions Gabbert intelligence or his work ethic even though there are reports of him being overweight. No one questions Jake Locker’s intelligence or work ethic even though he “REGRESSED” from his junior to senior season. I’m just sitting here listening to the subtle racism and double standards of not just Cam Newton, but other African American quarterbacks from the past. I don’t care what anyone says about this situation or subject there is racism involved, it may not be overt, but it is subtle and the hints are being thrown.

  • #2
    Originally posted by dregolll View Post
    Let me start by saying it has become very obvious that people are starting to have preconceived notions about African-American quarterbacks. I’m totally convinced that this has become the case now. Cam Newton has everything you look for in an elite quarterback size, arm, mobility, and the will to win. He has won 2 national championships and has done everything that you can ask of him but he still doesn’t seem to measure up. I can honestly sit here and say that I have never seen a more scrutinized prospect in my years watching football. You would think that Mr. Newton would be a shoe-in for the #1 pick overall but that is far from the case. Why? When the pundits speak about Cam, they always seem to refer back to a couple adjectives that have come to stigmatize African-American quarterbacks. Those adjectives are does he have the “mental capacity” when what they really say is “he too dumb” to learn a system. Another adjective is “character concerns”. I have heard this with Cam and I’m asking myself what are the character concerns. Many people refer to the stolen laptop when he was at Florida, but I don’t think he knew the laptop was stolen. Also, people would like to rip on this guy because his father is involved with his son’s life, are you kidding. The third characteristic is “is he a hard worker” when they really would like to say “he’s probably lazy because he is an African American quarterback”.
    For example, during last year’s draft no one ever talked about Sam Bradford’s work ethic or he being able to pick up the mental side and he came from the spread also. With Tim Tebow, even though he was talked about in a negative way, not one scout or pundits question his brain or work ethic. The saying was “If anyone can pick up the system, it will be Tim Tebow because he is one of the hardest workers you ever would like to be around. These are the type of double standards that really annoy. This is thinking is just a microcosm of our warped society. Even Ryan Leaf is not plastered with those adjectives of being lazy or to dumb. When Andrew Luck was supposedly coming out, he was the best prospect since Peyton Manning. Non African American quarterbacks get compared to the greats, while Cam Newton gets compared Jamarcus Russell, who happens to be a huge bust. Why can’t they compare Andrew Luck to Ryan Leaf or Matt Leinart or Tim Couch or David Carr or Alex Smith? Why does he get the privilege to get Manning comparison (great QB) and Cam Newton gets compared to Russell ( huge bust). Again, double standards it seems like in other situation in our society. African Americans have to set a positive precedent for those who plan to follow. They are not comparing Cam to Warren Moon, Randall Cunningham, or Donovan Mcnabb, no, let’s take the most recent major disappointments and compare him to Russell and Vince Young. By the way, Vince Young IMHO is not a disappointment, he was just in an unfortunate situation, but that is the perception of many.
    I heard Todd Mcshay talk about what are the things that he looks for in his quarterback and his response was intelligence and accuracy, even though Blaine Gabbert has a low completion percentage. My point is, no one has questions Gabbert intelligence or his work ethic even though there are reports of him being overweight. No one questions Jake Locker’s intelligence or work ethic even though he “REGRESSED” from his junior to senior season. I’m just sitting here listening to the subtle racism and double standards of not just Cam Newton, but other African American quarterbacks from the past. I don’t care what anyone says about this situation or subject there is racism involved, it may not be overt, but it is subtle and the hints are being thrown.
    please dont say that

    Comment


    • #3
      This thread isn't going to last very long, but why didn't you mention Mallett? He looks white to me, and people are questioning the hell out of his intangibles.
      aka KGB Chicken

      Comment


      • #4
        This is something that has definitely stuck out to me recently. I'd like to say these double standards aren't at all racially motivated and that players are evaluated in the vacuum but I just can't say that's entirely true. Now I don't think people are consciously doing this or have an specific agenda, but it doesn't mean its not happening. I've had to raise my eyebrows at some of the criticisms towards Newton. Some of the concerns are things that are based off pure speculation but aren't even mentioned with the other top QB prospects.

        This thread may get shut down because the subject matter could turn sour in a hurry but I just thought I'd say my piece.
        Last edited by TACKLE; 02-14-2011, 04:34 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Thankfully nobody has found fault with Ryan Mallett or Jake Locker, oh i guess they have (in their threads).

          Comment


          • #6
            Even though Bradford and Newton both came from spread offences, they were still very different. Bradford spread the ball around in short to middle routes. But the main thing was he was a passer, not a runner.

            Newton's offence was more about speed, and they ran the ball with that speed. Newton was a runner before passing at many times this season. This is coming from a Newton supporter as well. I think Newton will succeed, if drafted to the perfect situation. I can see him being a bust if a team thinks he can start in his first year, or if they try to make him a different player than he should be. Use Newton's strengths, and coach up his understanding of the NFL passing game and defenses and he will be deadly


            "Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
            @SirStackAlot707

            Comment


            • #7
              I don't care who the QB is, if they have done the following things in college, their character will be questioned -

              Cam Newton Steals Laptop - Here is the arrest report

              http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documen...e-laptop-thief

              Cam Newton caught cheating 3 times at Florida leading to transfer - Details here.

              http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoot...eating-scandal

              Cam Newton's father the center of NCAA investigation in pay for play scandal which Newton has never been proven to be involved in, although Joe Schad of ESPN reports that his source in the Mississippi St. program said that he heard directly from Cam Newton that "the money was too good" at Auburn, and he would not be going to MSU as detailed here -

              http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2010...-was-too-much/

              In unrelated news, Ryan Mallett - 6'6" white QB with an incredible arm and first round talent is being downgraded by everyone in the scouting community based on character concerns that are far less documented than in the Cam Newton case.

              I can see the clear double standard that is plaguing the draft evaluation process, and there is no question that Cam Newton should not carry the stigma of a "Character Concern" - Are you serious with this?
              Last edited by jnew76; 02-14-2011, 04:18 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                How can anybody not look at the simplistic Auburn offense and the fact that Newton only started a season's worth of games that actually matter and say that he is definitely: Smart enough, Ready for the NFL, Enough experience, Has strong character, Great work ethic, etc.

                If you want to go strictly with Newton's past, then he is nearly undraftable: cheating, theft, cheating, dishonesty, cheating, trying to extort Ole Miss, etc. But I assume teams will like his potential. I mean honestly, considering Newton's past misdeeds, can you honestly say that he has shown intelligence?

                Comment


                • #9
                  ^

                  Good points. You also had these things said about these guys:

                  "comes from a read option offense, will have to adjust to multiple reads
                  at the next level" (Tim Tebow)

                  "very short resume, barely a season and a half of starting experience"
                  (Mark Sanchez)

                  "Spread offense, played with a great supporting cast, has struggled some when under pressure" (Sam Bradford)

                  "Not always as accurate as you'd like and throws off balance on occasions. (Matthew Stafford)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by TACKLE View Post
                    This is something that has definitely stuck out to me recently. I'd like to say these double standards aren't at all racially motivated and that players are evaluated in the vacuum but I just can't say that's entirely true. Now I don't think people are consciously doing this or have an specific agenda, but it doesn't mean its not happening. I've had to raise my eyebrows at some of the criticisms towards Newton. Some of the concerns are things that are based off pure speculation but aren't even mentioned with the other top QB prospects.

                    This thread may get shut down because the subject matter could turn sour in a hurry but I just thought I'd say my piece.
                    I should be more clear on what criticisms I'm referring too.

                    Off-field/family concerns, reads, system question, accuracy....all those I can understand. It's just I've never heard Blaine Gabbert's intelligence, work ethic, dedication or commitment to football called into question. But somehow these have become a focal point of Cam Newton's evaluation.I've yet to see any indication that he has a poor work ethic, doesn't love the game of football and doesn't have the intelligence to quickly pick up a new offensive system.

                    If people want to over-analyzing method in evaluating Gabbert, his dip in production in his junior season maybe an indication that he was complacent and didn't work hard enough to improve his game heading following his sophomore season.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      In defense of Newton, he does have nice white teeth. :)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by TACKLE View Post
                        I should be more clear on what criticisms I'm referring too.

                        Off-field/family concerns, reads, system question, accuracy....all those I can understand. It's just I've never heard Blaine Gabbert's intelligence, work ethic, dedication or commitment to football called into question. But somehow these have become a focal point of Cam Newton's evaluation.I've yet to see any indication that he has a poor work ethic, doesn't love the game of football and doesn't have the intelligence to quickly pick up a new offensive system.

                        If people want to over-analyzing method in evaluating Gabbert, his dip in production in his junior season maybe an indication that he was complacent and didn't work hard enough to improve his game heading following his sophomore season.
                        To be fair Locker gets some of the same questions asked about him, dedication to football, looks to run first, accuracy questions. Maybe it has more to do with them being athletes that people think they cant somehow be cerebral also.

                        As for Gabbert there should be a whole discussion on his attributes and faults because he has been given the biggest pass i've seen anyone get in quite a while.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I pretty much agree with everything njx said. Only thing I think is stupid is the constant Jamarcus comparisons. Jamarcus was a bust because he was fat and lazy and had no passion for the game, 3 things Cam is without issue. They didn't run similar offenses in college and carry no similarities other than height and arm strength. Personally being old enough to remember if anything Cam as a prospect reminds me of Mcnabb coming out of that Syracuse spread/option offense and was extremely raw. Comparisons are stupid but the only thing I think is unfair to Cam is that the only guy he gets compared to is Jamarcus Russell, never Mcnabb or Culpepper or anyone like that. I think the OP is kind of ridiculous. In general from all the criticisms I've heard of Newton are character concerns and his ability to run a pro style offense, both extremely valid concerns considering his numereous character issues and college system. I honestly haven't heard anyone question his work ethic or passion for football. If anyone questions that they are probably just a hater who wants him to fail. If there have ever been any questions about his mental capacity it's simply either because he is unproven to run a pro style offense, or a branch off the character concerns. It's hard to say there is a double standard with black QB's when the most recent high draft pick black QB's have been two bone heads, Russell and VY. I think you are overreacting. Look at Pat White, had every reason to be bashed based on his skills and college system, but I guarantee you not one person questioned his work ethic or intelligence. Really the only stupid racial assumption about Black QB's I see out there are from college coaches who think all Black QB's are athletic and can run an option offense. I had a nice chuckle when I heard some scouts saying Philip Sims is more of an option QB.
                          Last edited by SeanTaylorRIP; 02-14-2011, 05:06 PM.

                          Sig By:The Dynasty

                          2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
                          http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
                          Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
                          http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by njx9
                            and yet there are questions about him. are you honestly trying to call everyone who disagrees with you a racist? because that would be ******* pathetic and more an indictment of your own character than theirs.



                            false. he hasn't run an offense from under center. for example. i feel like you being completely, hopelessly incorrect is going to be a theme of this post.



                            then it's quite clear you haven't actually been paying any attention whatsoever to the draft, well, ever. but i guess everyone's a racist because you don't know what you're talking about.



                            you could probably start with the team that has the #1 overall pick. it's not like andrew luck was a shoe-in, though everyone here thought it was the right choice.



                            are you suggesting that he doesn't have character concerns? can you also provide a cite to someone saying he's not smart enough to play quarterback?



                            honestly? your opinion is completely irrelevant. if i believe the laptop was stolen, it's a character concern. i'm not a racist because i disagree with you.



                            bahahahahahaha. 'his father tried to sell him to the highest bidder and some people believe that cam may have known about it' is the same as 'his father's involved in his life'? what ******* planet are you from?



                            that's a massive assumption. citation needed.



                            you know, except that everyone WAS talking about whether he'd be able to adjust from a spread. it's becoming more and more clear that you've never followed the draft, and that you were too lazy to even go educate yourself before speaking. oh, ****. does that make me a racist again? i mean, i called you lazy.



                            what, exactly, does this non-sequitur have to do with newton?



                            wait, seriously? this *has* to be an elaborate troll. because there's no way anyone could actually type something that completely ridiculous with a straight face.



                            are you serious? do you actually think that, aside from the color of their skin, cam newton and andrew luck are identical prospects? there's a pretty bloody good reason that cam newton isn't being compared to peyton manning, and it has nothing to do with the fact that only one of them is white. there's a pretty damn good reason why andrew luck isn't being compared to randall cunningham, and it's not because he's white.

                            this entire bit of your post must've required an absolutely staggering amount of cognitive dissonance. i'm utterly astonished that you didn't stop yourself halfway through typing it and realize what an absurdly idiotic thing you were about to try to pass off as rational opinion.

                            that's not to mention some of the comparisons made about matt ryan, sam bradford, jimmy clausen, brady quinn, alex smith and literally countless other quarterbacks that are probably too inconvenient for you to mention, even assuming that you have any idea who they are (i guess i should stop assuming you knew who any of these quarterbacks were before you googled their names).



                            so, you're advocating that people compare newton to only other black quarterbacks that he's actually in no way whatsoever comparable to? should i compare him to doug williams? i mean, they're both black, right? we can totally ignore the fact that they're completely dissimilar players. except that the suggestion we only compare newton to black qbs is probably the most overtly racist part of this entire post so far.

                            the vince young comment is cute though. it was an unfortunate situation. you know, the same exact situation steve mcnair thrived in. it's clear that vince young was one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time, i just wish you'd acknowledge that kerry collins was solely responsible for holding him back. i mean, that IS the only reason that vince young isn't a 4 time MVP right now.



                            i'm pretty sure people are busy with far more substantive criticisms of gabbert.



                            no, they just question whether he's even a remotely nfl-caliber quarterback. not just whether he should be picked in the first but whether he can actually play in the nfl.

                            'dude, you guys all suck, you're not complaining about this one totally minor part of a prospect! racists!'
                            'bro, we've pretty much all agreed he shouldn't even be drafted'
                            'it's just because he's white.'

                            *eyeroll*



                            i'm pretty sure you can't think of a single example of people talking **** about any other african american qbs that wasn't justified. russell had rumors dogging him about being lazy. shockingly, they were true. vince young had rumors of low intelligence. then he flunked the easiest test he's probably ever taken. ryan leaf had massive character concerns. they turned out to be true.



                            except that there isn't and you've been wrong about quite literally every single thing you've posted here. this would ordinarily be entertaining, but you've managed to call every single poster who doesn't think newton is the best prospect of all time a racist and that's, frankly, disgusting and a borderline personal attack on the entire forum.

                            why don't we do this: you go back and spend more than 12 seconds googling some names (and probably pictures, so you could make sure grouped the black and white qbs appropriately) and maybe actually learn something about some of these guys and the criticisms of them when they came out. then, come back and re-read this post. let me know how embarrassed you are.
                            That was a beautiful destruction of an idiotic post.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              150 posts and 57 threads started tells you all you need to know


                              Saints 2014 draft wish list:
                              - No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
                              - Corner or Wideout in the first
                              - No reaching
                              - No Kelvin Benjamin

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information