Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nate Irving - Why Rated So Low?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Nate Irving - Why Rated So Low?

    I've only seen his youtube clips (i know, i know), but the guy looks really impressive.

    He's high motor, great instincts, great tackler, has good speed, good range, fiery, I really don't have any major knocks on his game. He seems like a great 4-3 MIKE prospect.

    So why is he rated so low? Am I missing something?

  • #2
    I also think he can be a pretty good LB at the next level.

    I think he was involved in a huge car accident maybe last year? The main thing for him I guess is just trying to get back into the aspects of everything.
    Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds
    Coples is that dude.
    Go Amare. I Love Tayshaun Prince...

    Orioles - Raiders - UNC - Nuggets/Wizards

    Comment


    • #3
      Best Mike LB in the draft...

      and I'm not biased at all... (maybe just a little)
      **** her in da *****!

      Comment


      • #4
        I think Irving will be a very good 4-3 MLB, he is a little undersized though. He was in a very serious car accident that could have ended his career too but he has obviously recovered. I like Irving a lot, he has a lot of game speed and is a very talented and fiery linebacker.

        Comment


        • #5
          When was his car accident? Did he play at all this year?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
            When was his car accident? Did he play at all this year?
            Yeah, REALLY well too. Had his best year by far.

            As to why he's rated so low, he's an average athlete with average size. Really didn't look like a fight through blocks type of guy at the Senior Bowl, so that's something that limits him going forward. Really good all around game though.

            R.I.P. Junior Seau

            Comment


            • #7


              this is this year
              save Freeman

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ElectricEye View Post
                Yeah, REALLY well too. Had his best year by far.

                As to why he's rated so low, he's an average athlete with average size. Really didn't look like a fight through blocks type of guy at the Senior Bowl, so that's something that limits him going forward. Really good all around game though.
                He seems pretty fast to me. Crap, I didn't even look for him at the Senior Bowl, I should have paid more attention. I was too busy jizzing over Von Miller.

                He fights through blocks, the only thing I didn't see him do was blitz. 6 1" 235 isn't that bad. Isn't Curtis Lofton the same size? He's doing pretty darn good last time I checked.

                With such a questionable MIKE class, I'm surprised a guy like Irving is rated behind so many guys.

                How is he any less of an athlete than Quan for example? I need to see more of this guy, he's really sparked my interest.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Me Likey Rookies View Post


                  this is this year
                  look at that. how is he slow? he looks like he plays fast. i'd guess he runs a 4.7 at least, which is more than enough for a MIKE.

                  great instincts, he's violent, great tackler, high motor, plays fast, good vs the run and pass, fiery, he can flow through traffic, what am I missing here?

                  great anticipation skills too. hell, i like him more than McClain from last year. To be fair, I wasn't a big McClain fan.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                    He seems pretty fast to me. Crap, I didn't even look for him at the Senior Bowl, I should have paid more attention. I was too busy jizzing over Von Miller.

                    He fights through blocks, the only thing I didn't see him do was blitz. 6 1" 235 isn't that bad. Isn't Curtis Lofton the same size? He's doing pretty darn good last time I checked.

                    With such a questionable MIKE class, I'm surprised a guy like Irving is rated behind so many guys.

                    How is he any less of an athlete than Quan for example? I need to see more of this guy, he's really sparked my interest.

                    I really just don't think he's going to time all that fast. He's got average lateral range and isn't real fluid.
                    He's a real good player, the type of guy who is going to find the ball and pile up a lot of tackles(ala Curtis Lofton as you mentioned)for you but won't be that next level of linebacker that you look for in the first two rounds.

                    R.I.P. Junior Seau

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ElectricEye View Post
                      I really just don't think he's going to time all that fast. He's got average lateral range and isn't real fluid.
                      He's a real good player, the type of guy who is going to find the ball and pile up a lot of tackles(ala Curtis Lofton as you mentioned)for you but won't be that next level of linebacker that you look for in the first two rounds.
                      *drools at the thought of the Giants landing him in the 3rd*

                      some guys just know how to play. that's the impression i'm getting from him.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I would not have a problem taking him in the 2nd. He might be there in the 3rd but I think we trade our 3rd to move up in the 1st. We are desperate for a leader on defense.
                        save Freeman

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Great, great LB. One of the best defensive players VT came across this season.
                          Virginia Tech.
                          ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

                          Next Up: 2012

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Me Likey Rookies View Post
                            I would not have a problem taking him in the 2nd. He might be there in the 3rd but I think we trade our 3rd to move up in the 1st. We are desperate for a leader on defense.
                            Between Mason Foster, Bruce Carter, and now Nate Irving, it looks like 4-3 teams are going to have a very nice LB prospect fall to the 2nd round for them.

                            I like it. Now we need Nevis and other strictly 4-3 UTs to fall some too. I know they will. I missed out on Geno (</3) :(

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              You are vastly overrating the value of ILB's.. Nate Irving isn't going to get drafted in the 2nd round, more like 4th round

                              Like ElectricEye said, he's just an above average athlete and he is quite poor at taking on blocks and disengaging from them (which is not what you want your ILB to do). I think he can be a good WLB, though

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information