Players that Scott Wright Overrated

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Halsey View Post
    I can see an argument for Couch, but I still say you were wrong about Arrington and Bush. Neither of those guys have lived up to being rated the top players in their respective Drafts. I totally bought into Arrington at the time, but I never understood why so many people expected Bush to be a great player in the NFL. He's a WR playing RB. His lack of production as a runner and struggles with injuries aren't just bad luck.
    I honestly believe Reggie Bush has turned into exactly the type of player I envisioned.

Anyone who thought he was going to be an elite starting running back was kidding themselves. Bush is and always was a versatile, all-around threat best suited for a third down role.
    Scott Wright, President
    Draft Countdown.com
    www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
    www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Comment

I remember thinking Brady Quinn was the next Tom Brady. I don't think I ever was THAT wrong about a qb prospect ever.

Comment

Malcolm Kelly and Limas Sweed but I was high on them as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Wright View Post
          I honestly believe Reggie Bush has turned into exactly the type of player I envisioned.

Anyone who thought he was going to be an elite starting running back was kidding themselves. Bush is and always was a versatile, all-around threat best suited for a third down role.
          Are you kidding? People didn't peg Reggie Bush as an elite starting running back, they pegged him as one of the all time greats.

There were people proclaiming him (not actual scouts obviously) as the best running back prospect ever (or at least since O.J. Simpson) and one of the best prospects anyone had ever seen. Ranking him with draft prospects of the prior ten years and balking at the mention of Ryan Leaf because after all, he was drafted second.

I've been following the draft closely for about eight years and was at least aware of it for the seven years prior to that.

In that time, I have never seen a prospect as incredibly hyped as Reggie Bush.

Not Palmer, not Peyton (not after Tennessee lost to Nebraska anyway), not Eli, not Megatron, no one.
          Last edited by Crickett; 02-15-2011, 12:37 PM. Reason: Edit: Forgot it was 2011, eight years now.

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper View Post
            Really? He had a decent amount of tackles for loss (15.5), but he had a measly three sacks all season and all came against mediocre to bad teams (One against Mississippi State, two against Vanderbilt). I'd be hard-pressed to remember a UT game that year where I thought, "Wow, this kid is a stud," and it seemed like he was somewhat limited athletically. Fast forward two years later, and he's got 1.5 sacks and doesn't do much of anything. If you can't rush the passer in college, your odds aren't very good in the pros.
            There's a lot more to determining a players worth than sack count.
            Currently on IR: Rip 2011 Jamaal Charles :(

Comment

So if I told you 5 years ago that Reggie Bush would have 33 total TDs and around 5,000 total yards after 5 years in the league, you wouldn't be at least a little surprised by his lack of production?

Comment

You know I appreciate the fact that no one is going to bat 1.000 and there will be big hits and big misses, but you had Reggie Bush rated as the #1 overall player in the entire 2006 draft. If all you envisioned was a versatile, all-around threat best suited for a third down role, there had to be a ton of players you would have rated higher purely on their eventual contributions. D'Brickashaw Ferguson had the tools to be at the very least a decent pass protecting left tackle. That alone would be worth more than what you had Bush bringing to the proverbial table.

2006 was a nightmare for draftniks, NFL teams and the players.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                1. Reggie Bush, RB, Southern Cal
                4. Matt Leinart, QB, Southern Cal

7. Vince Young, QB, Texas
                8. Michael Huff, S, Texas
                11. Winston Justice, OT, Southern Cal
                13. Ernie Sims. OLB, Florida State
                14. Jimmy Williams, CB, Virginia Tech
                19. Chad Jackson, WR, Florida
                20. Tye Hill, CB, Clemson
                22. Bobby Carpenter, OLB, Ohio State
                23. Lendale White, RB, Southern Cal
                27. Daniel Bullocks, S, Nebraska
                28. Jason Allen, S, Tennessee
                31. Leonard Pope, TE, Georgia
                37. Darnell Bing, S, Southern Cal
                Good God you were sucking down the USC Kool-Aid. Winston Justice might be the best of the group.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGfortheTD View Post
                  There's a lot more to determining a players worth than sack count.
                  Yup, there are. Unfortunately, all of the other first-round prospects seem to be able to rush the passer and do other things.

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper View Post
                    Yup, there are. Unfortunately, all of the other first-round prospects seem to be able to rush the passer and do other things.
                    Sack totals aren't always indicative of how active a pass rusher you are. Ayers was moved around a lot at Tennessee and got significant looks at defensive tackle and that hurt his sack totals a bit. He still beat his man with regularity his Senior year.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

I tend to agree with what everyone else has said about Bush, I'm a Saints fan and he is just not a great player by any means. He's a pretty good weapon to have, but honestly he's been a guy who if you picked up in the 4th round he would have been a decent value. But he's barely a number 2 back, much less a guy who splits time. His actual running ability has regressed since his rookie year and right now about all he is, is an injury prone return man.

To say he's not a bust at number 2 overall and all the hype is insane.

Comment

I remember when Bush was being compared to Gale Sayers...

Comment

Robert Ayers was great his senior year and TitanHope and I were even hyping him before his SR year started because he had shown flashes as a rotation/backup up until then.
                          The way Ayers was used his senior year didn't allow him to build up a lot of sack totals. Think of it how Eric Berry was used his JR year were he wasn't allowed to build up his stats as much as his first two years.
                          Robert Ayers is woefully miscast in a 3-4 and should show steady improvement if the Broncos move back to a 4-3.
                          Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
                          RIP themaninblack

Comment

Oh, this should be a fun thread for me! Here come the ghosts of my past! :o

For the record, I definitely wasn't that high on Robert Ayers. I gave Ayers the benefit of the doubt and rated him as a late first rounder based on his performance as a senior and at the Senior Bowl. However, the concern was that he was a "paycheck" player who only turned it on when he saw the dollar signs. Based on his final year, Ayers was a Top 10 pick. Based on the first three years of his career, Ayers was a mid-rounder at best.
                            Yeah, Mayock loved him... I couldn't see the reason. Mayock said he was an underachiever that came on as a senior... a senior season in which I failed to see where he really came on.

Comment

I said from the start about Reggie Bush that he would be another Darrin Nelson... and after 5 years... I just don't see it. At this point, Reggie Bush has performed like a 2nd rounder at best.

Comment

Originally posted by AntoinCD View Post
                                Scott how did you miss so badly in 2008 with Danny Woodhead and BenJarvus Green-Ellis? 30 and 32 in the RBs. Come on it was clear as day that they were going to be stars ;)
                                A lot of people on the old buccaneers.com message board really liked Danny Woodhead... particularly Mary Jane Watson, whomever she was. It was puzzling to me how a guy that productive (even at Chadron St.) with his stocky build and fantastic measurables could go so unnoticed at the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information