Players that Scott Wright Overrated

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
    A lot of people missed on Brady Quinn. It happens.
    I was really, really high on both of them, so it's a double fail for me.

Comment

No it doesn't. According to some people here they're never wrong about anything ever.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricEye View Post
        No it doesn't. According to some people here they're never wrong about anything ever.
        Yeah. Lots of revisionist history going on in this thread.

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
        I was really, really high on both of them, so it's a double fail for me.
        I loved Quinn and hated Russell. I fell for the "Charlie Weis coached him he's the next Tom Brady zomg Notre Dame fighting Irish!" crap.

I made sure I didn't fall for it again with Clausen.

Comment

Indeed. It is not like he's saying that Brady Quinn turned into the player he envisioned before the draft.

Comment

Yeah. Lots of revisionist history going on in this thread.

I loved Quinn and hated Russell. I fell for the "Charlie Weis coached him he's the next Tom Brady zomg Notre Dame fighting Irish!" crap.

I made sure I didn't fall for it again with Clausen.
            A lot of my reasoning for liking Quinn was centered, too, around how terrible the Irish would be if he wasn't their quarterback. With Jamarcus, I fell in love with his tools. Then again, I very rarely factor personality/character/etc into my rankings because I acknowledge that I don't have nearly enough information to be able pass judgment.

It's similar with Ryan Mallett. Even though I've brought up Mallett's alleged cocaine incident, I still acknowledge that I don't have nearly enough information to have it change my opinion of him as a player. Same goes for Newton. I really don't have any idea what he did, and I'm not going to get the chance to sit down and talk to him. So how can I let it affect how I view him as a football player?

Then again, there are some guys that just come off as douches and you know they'll never be able to lead a group of men. Jimmy Clausen is one of those guys. Matt Leinart was another. Truth be told, I made my final decision on Leinart after the "Bush Push" against Notre Dame. That play told me everything I needed to know about him.
            Last edited by yourfavestoner; 02-17-2011, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
              Truth be told, I made my final decision on Leinart after the "Bush Push" against Notre Dame. That play told me everything I needed to know about him.
              That's interesting. Why?

Comment

Originally posted by TACKLE View Post
                That's interesting. Why?
                The game was on the line, and he only had to go about six inches on a QB sneak to win the game. He wanted absolutely nothing to do with it. I know, I know, he drove them down there. But if it weren't for Bush, he would have just gotten stonewalled and fell to the ground on that last play.

Comment

That's still one of the better college football games I've ever seen. That USC team played in some epics.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Wright View Post
                    I honestly believe Reggie Bush has turned into exactly the type of player I envisioned.

Anyone who thought he was going to be an elite starting running back was kidding themselves. Bush is and always was a versatile, all-around threat best suited for a third down role.
                    OH COME ON!!!!

You do not rank a guy No. 1 overall and expect him to be a slightly above average change-of-pace back. If you really did not think he was going to be an elite starting running back and still put him No. 1, it makes me think you are way too susceptible to peer pressure.

Mind you, I am not trying to be snarky. We were all wrong about Bush. I remember when I was ranking my top 100 for that draft, I had Bush No. 6, one spot lower than Deangelo Williams, which means I was WAY lower on Reggie than most others, and I still admit he is nowhere near the player I thought he would be.

Comment

• Originally posted by MI_Buckeye View Post
                      OH COME ON!!!!

You do not rank a guy No. 1 overall and expect him to be a slightly above average change-of-pace back. If you really did not think he was going to be an elite starting running back and still put him No. 1, it makes me think you are way too susceptible to peer pressure.
                      This.

As yfs posted earlier,

It's hard to say that you didn't expect Bush to be a superstar after the glowing things on this report, the elite grade and the No. 1 overall spot. For the record, I fully expected Reggie to be a Hall of Famer, but it's clear that he hasn't panned out as expected.

On the flip side, he's one of my top-five favorite college players of all-time, including Michigan players.

Comment

• I still find it to be pretty inexplicable that Bush has been as meh as he has been. I can understand him not being good in the NFL for some reason, but to be as complete a non-factor as he is the majority of the time when he was amazing in college is puzzling.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Originally posted by ElectricEye View Post
                          I still find it to be pretty inexplicable that Bush has been as meh as he has been. I can understand him not being good in the NFL for some reason, but to be as complete a non-factor as he is the majority of the time when he was amazing in college is puzzling.
                          Maybe he's just happy that he's got (lots and lots of) money now, and doesn't care as much as he used to? It happens sometimes to 25 year olds who come into a lot of money.

Comment

• Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                            The game was on the line, and he only had to go about six inches on a QB sneak to win the game. He wanted absolutely nothing to do with it. I know, I know, he drove them down there. But if it weren't for Bush, he would have just gotten stonewalled and fell to the ground on that last play.
                            Thats a big reach, he audibled and made a huge throw on 4th down to even get them down there. And on the play to win the game he took the ball in his hands and tried to make the play himself. A QB sneak is 99% about the OLine push anyways, no way on earth can you knock him for Bush pushing him (which may or may not have actually affected him scoring).

Comment

• Originally posted by ElectricEye View Post
                              I still find it to be pretty inexplicable that Bush has been as meh as he has been. I can understand him not being good in the NFL for some reason, but to be as complete a non-factor as he is the majority of the time when he was amazing in college is puzzling.
                              This is why I feel as though he's a pretty major bust. Even as a pure 3rd down back (I prefer using the term passing situations back because in today's NFL, they don't just get used on 3rd downs...anywho) he hasn't been as good as others who had far less expectations upon them.

If you ask a group of well informed NFL followers who they'd rather have: Danny Woodhead or Reggie Bush...I think they'd take Woodhead.

Comment

• Just out of curiousity, I looked up Bush's career stats so far.
                                In 5 years,
                                524 car, 2090 yds, 17 tds rushing (4.0 ypc...Ick)
                                294 rec, 2142 yds, 12 tds receiving(7.3 ypc...ok)
                                92 returns, 720 yds, 4 tds (7.8 per, pretty good...I threw his one KR)

Overall, 4952 total offense, 33 tds.

Just for comparison, Deangelo Williams has 4329 total offense, 35 tds over that time.

Obviously, Bush was (and is) overrated by many, but maybe half the issue is that he needs to be categorized as a RB or WR or 3rd down RB or punt returner, when in reality, he is really just an ok rb + ok WR + good PR, which adds up to something more than each individually. I think what was overrated is how his skill set would translate to the nfl, not the skill set itself necessarily. If we look back at that draft, I think you still take him where he was taken for the chance/upside that he would be as dominant in the pros as he was in college. There really wasn't much question at the time as to his worth as a top 5 type of guy at worst. Hindsight is 20-20, for sure, and he obviously could have been better. If only he never got with a Khadashian....

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information