Players that Scott Wright Overrated

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
    Arrington's problem was that he tried to freelance like Lawrence Taylor without being as good as Lawrence Taylor.
    LA was a supersixed 43 weakside rush 'backer. When he arrived in D.C., they put him on the strongside over the TE and made him cover and set the edge on run plays.
    He was solid doing this but that's not why he was drafted 2nd overall.

IF, if Arrington had been played on the weakside his entire career in D.C. had been told to attack the backfield, he would have been a perennial all pro.

D coordinators in Washington for some reason were reluctant to move him around consistently and give him favorable blitz matchups.

I do agree however that Arrington thought he could play Lawrence Taylor's game and free lance whenever and he simply did not have that level of football instincts. Maybe a handful of players in the NFL ever have, Polamalu and Ed Reed being two of them.

I wouldn't call him a flat out bust, almost every year he was the SKins best defender, but I will admit he fell far short of expectations.

About Reggie Bush, I thought he was supposed to be Marshall Faulk 2.0.

He's not even close to that level and I think it has more to do with than just injuries.

I still question his vision and pure running instincts. Being able to make a player miss is not the same as recognizing running lanes just before they open up, reading his blockers and being able to hit cutbacks.

I think Reggie runs a little scared/out of control in the NFL and that's part of the reason he's not the 'back he was in college.

Who thinks Bush will EVER rush for 1000 yards in a season, or catch 85 balls and/or 800 yards???

He's beyond a disappointment and IMO no one saw it coming.

Comment

• Originally posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
      Who thinks Bush will EVER rush for 1000 yards in a season, or catch 85 balls and/or 800 yards???

He's beyond a disappointment and IMO no one saw it coming.
      Well, he did catch 88 for 742 his rookie season, but he hasn't come close to that since. That was pretty effective play. But he's regressed since then, and overall just been remarkably bad at taking handoffs. With the exception of 2009, he's been consistently below average in yards per carry.

Comment

• That's maybe the biggest disappointment with Bush...His catches have gone down consistently every year. Some of that is injury, for sure, but that has kept him from an even bigger impact than he has had. If he had kept catches up in the range of the 88 he had year one, things would seem different, most likely. I do remember certain draftniks just before the draft saying that Reggie Bush could have been a late first round pick as just a WR....maybe if he had been used as such from day one, he might have put up better numbers.

Comment

• Originally posted by billsfootball15 View Post
          listen, we can all say what we want about the Bush thing, and Ive read everything so far and we can say all we want, but theres one thing that matters…he contributed (small or large role is up to you to decide, but nontheless still had a role) in the helping the Saints win the Super Bowl. Thats all that matters, he was there and he played a part, he doesn't have to be Barry Sanders and in fact he isn't because his team won a championship, something Barry regardless of how good he was could never do. Would the Saints do the pick over again? I think they would say no because they are content with the threat Bush provides and he now has a ring to show for it.
          Justin Harrell contributed to the Packers recent superbowl season, are we to conclude that he is therefore not a bust?

Winning a superbowl does not absolve everybody on the roster.

Comment

• Originally posted by billsfootball15 View Post
            listen, we can all say what we want about the Bush thing, and Ive read everything so far and we can say all we want, but theres one thing that matters…he contributed (small or large role is up to you to decide, but nontheless still had a role) in the helping the Saints win the Super Bowl. Thats all that matters, he was there and he played a part, he doesn't have to be Barry Sanders and in fact he isn't because his team won a championship, something Barry regardless of how good he was could never do. Would the Saints do the pick over again? I think they would say no because they are content with the threat Bush provides and he now has a ring to show for it.
            So you're saying if the saints could redo their number 2 overall pick knowing what they know about the players in that draft they would still take bush? Because that would be crazy of them to do that and pass on a player like Haloti Ngata or MJD.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghost of Juice View Post
              So you're saying if the saints could redo their number 2 overall pick knowing what they know about the players in that draft they would still take bush? Because that would be crazy of them to do that and pass on a player like Haloti Ngata or MJD.
              I love your username so ******* much.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                I remember thinking Brady Quinn was the next Tom Brady. I don't think I ever was THAT wrong about a qb prospect ever.
                In your defense, and Scott's, I truly believe that had Quinn gone to the right situation, he could have turned into a good NFL QB by now, and I hate Notre Dame and never liked Quinn.

Sometimes a QB can be on a dead team and look crappy for years.... see Steve Young in Tampa, Kurt Warner in New York off the top of my head. Doesn't mean they were bad QBs.

I wonder if there's a situation for Quinn out there right now. Matt Leinart too.
                He actually looked decent his rookie year, I clearly remember, despite that less-than-strong southpaw arm.

Comment

• I think Denny Green getting fired really screwed Leinart. He was drafted for a west coast offense and looked pretty solid as a rookie. Wisenhunt wanted a different offense and Leinart couldn't cut it afterwards.

Comment

• Originally posted by MidwayMonster31 View Post
                    I think Denny Green getting fired really screwed Leinart. He was drafted for a west coast offense and looked pretty solid as a rookie. Wisenhunt wanted a different offense and Leinart couldn't cut it afterwards.
                    I am still curious how things would have turned out had the Titans taken Leinart. I wonder if having Norm Chow as his OC would have made things different.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• It could. Little things like that, especially at the start of guys careers can make or break them. Leinart's problem has always been his dedication to the game and not being a douche bag, so it might not have mattered much.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Originally posted by ElectricEye View Post
                        It could. Little things like that, especially at the start of guys careers can make or break them. Leinart's problem has always been his dedication to the game and not being a douche bag, so it might not have mattered much.
                        Obviously this is hindsight, but he was a below average/marginal physical talent who lacked mental toughness and a strong work ethic. He couldn't get it done with Fitz and Boldin so I doubt he could of gotten it done with the poor WR core Tennessee had. Leinart just wasn't very good. I doubt he would of had much success regardless of where he went.

Comment

• About Reggie Bush - I don't think he's a major bust. But I saw it coming, him not being a good even dominant NFL RB.

One thing that helped me with that was, when he wanted his USC #5 in the NFL
                          Jets, Mets, Knicks, and the U's too cool for uze

Sig by, Hitman D

Comment

• Lol at the Bush bashing. Come on he was a one dimensional player, pure speed. He could never compete on the NFL level at the ability everyone expected him to. In fact I was happy to see the Texans pass on him.

Go Bucs, Josh Freeman is a beast!

Comment

• Originally posted by MidwayMonster31 View Post
                              I think Denny Green getting fired really screwed Leinart. He was drafted for a west coast offense and looked pretty solid as a rookie. Wisenhunt wanted a different offense and Leinart couldn't cut it afterwards.
                              Good points. I know Leinart is a prick and not rocket-armed or anything, and I don't like him either, but other jerks and other QBs with minimal arms have succeeded just fine in the NFL.

I think losing the Sherriff did hurt Matt Leinart. Still, I have no sympathy for the idiot because he should have come out after his junior year.

Also, I continue to LOL at the Reggie Bush-bashers!
                              Every single other team would secretly love to have a weapon like Bush, even if he's not a 250-carry guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by J-Mike88 View Post
                                Every single other team would secretly love to have a weapon like Bush, even if he's not a 250-carry guy.
                                Every team in the league would like to have a kicker who makes 65% of his kicks from 50+, doesn't mean you should pick that guy in the first round.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information