Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Players that Scott Wright Overrated

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Players that Scott Wright Overrated

    I respect Scott Wright's scouting ability and his football knowledge more than any other perso, so I mean this with no disrespect. I was just wondering some of the players in the past few years that Scott had a very high grade on in the early rounds that did not pan out. For example, I think he was high on Robert Ayers. If you could give some reasons why he liked them and a guess why they didn't pan out too (defensive scheme) that'd be great too.

  • #2
    Oh, this should be a fun thread for me! Here come the ghosts of my past! :o

    For the record, I definitely wasn't that high on Robert Ayers. I gave Ayers the benefit of the doubt and rated him as a late first rounder based on his performance as a senior and at the Senior Bowl. However, the concern was that he was a "paycheck" player who only turned it on when he saw the dollar signs. Based on his final year, Ayers was a Top 10 pick. Based on the first three years of his career, Ayers was a mid-rounder at best.
    Last edited by Scott Wright; 02-15-2011, 08:43 AM.
    Scott Wright, President
    Draft Countdown.com
    www.draftcountdown.com

    Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

    Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
    www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

    Comment


    • #3
      Scott ranks 'em, he doesn't coach em up!!lol

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Scott Wright View Post
        Based on his final year, Ayers was a Top 10 pick.
        Really? He had a decent amount of tackles for loss (15.5), but he had a measly three sacks all season and all came against mediocre to bad teams (One against Mississippi State, two against Vanderbilt). I'd be hard-pressed to remember a UT game that year where I thought, "Wow, this kid is a stud," and it seemed like he was somewhat limited athletically. Fast forward two years later, and he's got 1.5 sacks and doesn't do much of anything. If you can't rush the passer in college, your odds aren't very good in the pros.

        Comment


        • #5
          Not many guys that weren't consensus highly ranked guys, but Brady Quinn at 2 overall stands out, though I had him ranked similarly.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Sniper View Post
            Really? He had a decent amount of tackles for loss (15.5), but he had a measly three sacks all season and all came against mediocre to bad teams (One against Mississippi State, two against Vanderbilt). I'd be hard-pressed to remember a UT game that year where I thought, "Wow, this kid is a stud," and it seemed like he was somewhat limited athletically. Fast forward two years later, and he's got 1.5 sacks and doesn't do much of anything. If you can't rush the passer in college, your odds aren't very good in the pros.
            Don't forget he gained alot of steam at the Senior Bowl with a dominating week as well, and we all know just how quickly that can fast track you into the first round.
            Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
            The APS is strong in this one.
            Originally posted by killxswitch
            Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Sniper View Post
              Really? He had a decent amount of tackles for loss (15.5), but he had a measly three sacks all season and all came against mediocre to bad teams (One against Mississippi State, two against Vanderbilt). I'd be hard-pressed to remember a UT game that year where I thought, "Wow, this kid is a stud," and it seemed like he was somewhat limited athletically. Fast forward two years later, and he's got 1.5 sacks and doesn't do much of anything. If you can't rush the passer in college, your odds aren't very good in the pros.
              He looked great against Bama. He was making plays all over the field and gave Andre Smith all he could handle. Not that that changes what you had to say, but he did standout in that game.

              Comment


              • #8
                Brady Quinn and Jimmy Clausen

                Comment


                • #9
                  I thought Ayers was pretty good his Senior year even without the numbers. I really didn't think he was a good value at 18, but there was talk he could have gone even higher out there at the time. Think this discussion would be a little bit different if the Broncos had run a 4-3 the past few years. Maybe not completely different, but OLB really is not a good fit for him at all.

                  R.I.P. Junior Seau

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by njx9
                    if that was an honest question, you can find everything you need here:

                    http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Archives.php
                    Scott how did you miss so badly in 2008 with Danny Woodhead and BenJarvus Green-Ellis? 30 and 32 in the RBs. Come on it was clear as day that they were going to be stars ;)


                    BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Here are some that Scott, and most of the rest of us, appear wrong about:

                      Tim Couch
                      LaVar Arrington
                      Courtney Brown
                      David Terrell
                      Joey Harrington
                      Charles Rodgers
                      Robert Gallery
                      Alex Smith
                      Reggie Bush
                      Brady Quinn
                      Vernon Gholston
                      Andre Smtih

                      Scott looks very good when you look at his overall rankings, however.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Ayers is a 4-3 DE struggling as a 3-4 OLB. But he is not a very good player. He does not have a good variety of moves, using an ineffective bull rush most of the time. And he has a very slow first step. Maybe he will improve in his more natural position, but he wanted to be a LB, got the oppotunity and failed.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Brady Quinn was one for sure.
                          "Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya."

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Halsey View Post
                            Here are some that Scott, and most of the rest of us, appear wrong about:

                            Tim Couch
                            LaVar Arrington
                            Courtney Brown
                            David Terrell
                            Joey Harrington
                            Charles Rodgers
                            Robert Gallery
                            Alex Smith
                            Reggie Bush
                            Brady Quinn
                            Vernon Gholston
                            Andre Smtih

                            Scott looks very good when you look at his overall rankings, however.
                            I kind of count Tim Couch as a win for me considering he was the #1 overall pick and I had him rated as a mid first rounder. Arrington was a very good NFL player before injuries got him. I don't count Reggie Bush as a bust either. One thing that haunts me is Cortland Finnegan, who I didn't even have in my rankings and he is now one of the better cornerbacks in the league.
                            Scott Wright, President
                            Draft Countdown.com
                            www.draftcountdown.com

                            Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

                            Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
                            www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Scott Wright View Post
                              I kind of count Tim Couch as a win for me considering he was the #1 overall pick and I had him rated as a mid first rounder. Arrington was a very good NFL player before injuries got him. I don't count Reggie Bush as a bust either. One thing that haunts me is Cortland Finnegan, who I didn't even have in my rankings and he is now one of the better cornerbacks in the league.
                              I can see an argument for Couch, but I still say you were wrong about Arrington and Bush. Neither of those guys have lived up to being rated the top players in their respective Drafts. I totally bought into Arrington at the time, but I never understood why so many people expected Bush to be a great player in the NFL. He's a WR playing RB. His lack of production as a runner and struggles with injuries aren't just bad luck.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information