Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colin Kaepernick VS Cam Newton

Colin Kaepernick Vs Cam Newton

Can someone explain to the me the difference between these two prospects?

Both are similar in size and speed but both played in a gimmick college offense

Cam played against much better competition but only did it for one year.One could argue Kaepernick throws the football better.

I not really a big fan of either as both are raw developmental guys that i wouldn't touch until at least the second or third round but I'm just confused as to why Cam is seen by some as a 10 pick and Colin as a 2nd-4th rounder.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
    Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Originally posted by DeathbyStat View Post
    Colin Kaepernick Vs Cam Newton

Can someone explain to the me the difference between these two prospects?

Both are similar in size and speed but both played in a gimmick college offense

Cam played against much better competition but only did it for one year.One could argue Kaepernick throws the football better.

I not really a big fan of either as both are raw developmental guys that i wouldn't touch until at least the second or third round but I'm just confused as to why Cam is seen by some as a 10 pick and Colin as a 2nd-4th rounder.
    SEC SPEEEEEEEEEDZZZZZZ

You'd be shocked what a Heisman and a National Championship can do for your draft stock these days...

Ok, all Newton hating aside, his throwing motion is much cleaner then Kaepernick's and he's built much more solidly. If I had to guess which one would be a bigger running threat in the NFL, it would be Cam. Once the ball is out of their hands I wouldn't deny that Kaepernick throws a nicer ball, but he's got that wonky throwing motion whereas Newton has a clean, over the top delivery. It really boils down to that if you ask me.
    Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
    The APS is strong in this one.
    Originally posted by killxswitch
    Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

prepare to royal thread merge
      my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
      <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
      <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
      <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
      Originally posted by Hermstheman83
      What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Both didnt came out of a Pro Style O, and it's not sure how they go through their reads. Without that, I just see a raw footwork at Cam, i dont know about Kaepernick's footwork,. But that could be fixed by a good Coach. The rest is just Cam. He got all the tools and i think he's better in all of the other category's. He could be ready to play early (maybe day 1 but I think at half of the Saison is gone). But ealier than Kaepernick for sure i think.

Comment

Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
          SEC SPEEEEEEEEEDZZZZZZ

You'd be shocked what a Heisman and a National Championship can do for your draft stock these days...

Ok, all Newton hating aside, his throwing motion is much cleaner then Kaepernick's and he's built much more solidly. If I had to guess which one would be a bigger running threat in the NFL, it would be Cam. Once the ball is out of their hands I wouldn't deny that Kaepernick throws a nicer ball, but he's got that wonky throwing motion whereas Newton has a clean, over the top delivery. It really boils down to that if you ask me.
          Good answer, come to think of it Newton's delivery is better. I don't really get the Cam hype but i would list him as a better prospect than Tebow last year. I think on a whole even having this discussion shows that the QB class this year is very weak.

I think Cam and Colin success will depend greatly on what team drafts them. I know you could say that prospects every year but these two guys really need to go to a team that can try to built an offense around their strengths instead of trying to fit them into a system thats allready in place.

If I was a team like the vikings i'd rather take a chance on Colin later than draft Cam high in the first round.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
          Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Comment

Cam Newton dominated in his one year at Auburn. I wonder what he would have done if he spent 5 years at the same school, like Kaepernick did.

Comment

Originally posted by Halsey View Post
              Cam Newton dominated in his one year at Auburn. I wonder what he would have done if he spent 5 years at the same school, like Kaepernick did.
              Probably gotten kicked out for cheating.
              Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
                Probably gotten kicked out for cheating.
                I'm all for taking character into consideration, but it's not like every star QB is an angel.

I'm in the camp that thinks Newton's off field issues won't necessarily stop him from being a star QB.
                Last edited by Halsey; 02-18-2011, 10:00 AM.

Comment

I personally dont buy into Cam Newton having severe off field issues. He was very young and did something very stupid, its not like we all havent done something we regret. Its not like he raped someone or has drinking problems and goes and gets drunk and drives every weekend. Hes a good kid who made a couple mistakes, give him a break.

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.

Comment

I'll tell you why...

bigger, faster, stronger.

Newton may be slightly raw-er at QB, but he's a better athlete 10 times over.
                    **** her in da *****!

Comment

1. Newton is a good 25 lbs heavier than Kaepernick.

2. Kaepernick struggles with throws in the middle of the field. Doesn't read the safety well.

3. Kaepernick, even with all his experience, is behind Newton mechanically. He has a much longer release due in part with his laziness holding the ball. Doesnt consistently set his feet and struggles turning his body towards the target to get a stronger more accurate throw. He doesnt step into his throws like Cam does. With that said, he is still surprisingly accurate, especially his senior year compared to previous seasons.

Kaepernick is without a doubt an intriguing and physically gifted player. The upside is very high in the right system with the right coaching and his athleticism will bail him out but even with 4 years starting he has alot to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by descendency View Post
                        I'll tell you why...

bigger, faster, stronger.

Newton may be slightly raw-er at QB, but he's a better athlete 10 times over.
                        Considering Kaepernick was a 3 year varsity starter in 3 sports in the largest highschool division in California, was an all-state selection in all three, was drafted by the Cubs two years ago, and either holds or is in the top 5 of just about every dual threat record in NCAA history.....I would say your comment "he's a better athlete 10 times over" is a bit of an exageration there.

Comment

Originally posted by Packfan7 View Post
                          Considering Kaepernick was a 3 year varsity starter in 3 sports in the largest highschool division in California, was an all-state selection in all three, was drafted by the Cubs two years ago, and either holds or is in the top 5 of just about every dual threat record in NCAA history.....I would say your comment "he's a better athlete 10 times over" is a bit of an exageration there.
                          I agree, BOTH are excellent athletes. Cam is a more feared runner who can beat defenders both with elusiveness and power whereas Kaeperick does it with speed only.

Cam has better tools overall. He also has a more compact and quick delivery. Both have mechanical issues and both throw off their back foot too often. Cam faced better comp, but Kaeperick has more experience.

In short, it comes down to elite physical tools vs. very good physical tools and a cleaner release.
                          Kaepernick is this years pat white. Thin, gimmick offense and doesn't possess an nfl arm. The ncaa constantly regurgitates clones of past players and amazingly enough, tricks some people into thinking they're better than their cloned half. Kaepernick was a complete waste of a senior bowl qb spot. A better qb will come from the east/west shrine or whatever they're calling it now...count on it

- Genius

Comment

Originally posted by SimonRath View Post
                            I personally dont buy into Cam Newton having severe off field issues. He was very young and did something very stupid,
                            Which incident are you referring to? There's quite a few things he did that were very stupid.

Originally posted by SimonRath View Post
                            Hes a good kid who made a couple mistakes, give him a break.
                            His track record proves anything but a good kid. He's a cheater. A thief. A liar. A scumbag. He's an entitled prick with a terrible father giving him terrible advice and teaching him how to do everything the wrong way. He's had enough breaks. He's not in a position to demand our sympathy. He's doing everything for the money, if that wasn't already evident.
                            Originally posted by Scott Wright
                            I honestly believe Reggie Bush has turned into exactly the type of player I envisioned.
                            Originally posted by PossibleCabbage
                            I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
                            Originally posted by bearsfan_51
                            iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
                            Originally posted by GatorsBullsFan
                            I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
                            Originally posted by GoRavens
                            Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Comment

It's been a weird month, Ive sided with BigBanger in 3 or 4 threads. What has NFLDC come to I wonder? He's right though, Newton's track record suggests anything but a good kid, I'm sorry. If you want to argue he's matured then alright, but the kid is far from clean. He'll have to answer for his wrongdoings in interviews, that will ultimately decide where he goes. Also, at Dirty Thirty, I understand Kaepernick has some issues throwing across the middle of the field, but so does Newton. His short and mid range accuracy, especially on crossing routes is very suspect. He throws a pretty deep ball, but the guy has next to no touch on anything other then a fade. I'll take Kaepernick's accuracy over Newton's at this point.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information