Carolina at #1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
    Better at what? Quarterback? I'll take Locker all day long.
    We may be the only two but i'm with you on this, the more you look at the maturity level, the physical ability and the intangibles of these two i think Locker will be the better player going forward. Probably doesnt mean he'll get drafted first but someone like the Redskins or the Vikings will get the better player.

Comment

• Originally posted by descendency View Post
      I'd bet my house on Andy Dalton or Christian Ponder being a top 4 drafted QB. While lots of teams have Newton #1 and some teams have Gabbert #1, there will be a ton of teams that will not even rank Mallett. He's probably the best pure thrower in the draft, but there are rumors abound that he's a coke addicted jerk. Everyone keeps saying "Ryan Leaf" with him. That will cause him to fall. Jake Locker is probably a first rounder as well, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if the 4th QB is Christian Ponder (who is seriously under-rated). And No, I wouldn't put Colin Kapernick in that group. It may sound silly, but there are NFL Owners who would block the pick in round 1 because he has visible tattoos.
      There was a mock that I saw that had me thinking.....this mock had Ponder going round 1 to Jax....when I saw this I can't help but think that it actually could happen, the team that made Alua a top 10 pick really could take Ponder here, I don't agree with it, but I don't think it is far off from reality
      Patriots Draft 2015
      1. CB - Marcus Peters
      2. WR - Sammie Coates
      3. RB - David Johnson
      3. DT - Angelo Blackson
      4. OG - Tre Jackson
      4. DE - Za'Darius Smith
      5. LB - Ben Heeney
      6. TE - Wes Saxton
      7. OG - Jose Matais

Comment

• Originally posted by Babylon View Post
        We may be the only two but i'm with you on this, the more you look at the maturity level, the physical ability and the intangibles of these two i think Locker will be the better player going forward. Probably doesnt mean he'll get drafted first but someone like the Redskins or the Vikings will get the better player.
        You, me, and evidently the dude with his name on the site.

Locker has everything you love about Tebow, except he has slightly better footwork (albeit something that still needs work) and such a free and easy throwing motion.

I'm curious what people look for in a quarterback... if you were going to list the Top 5 things you want in a quarterback, what would they be?

For me, it goes...

1. Accuracy
        2. Poise
        3. Leadership
        4. Work Ethic
        5. Arm Strength

Locker is 4/5 with accuracy being the one that he needs to establish. For me, Newton definitely has Poise and Arm Strength... I have serious reservations about the work ethic and accuracy and I frankly have no clue about the leadership. So Newton is 2 or 3 out of 5.

Comment

You, me, and evidently the dude with his name on the site.

Locker has everything you love about Tebow, except he has slightly better footwork (albeit something that still needs work) and such a free and easy throwing motion.

I'm curious what people look for in a quarterback... if you were going to list the Top 5 things you want in a quarterback, what would they be?

For me, it goes...

1. Accuracy
          2. Poise
          3. Leadership
          4. Work Ethic
          5. Arm Strength

Locker is 4/5 with accuracy being the one that he needs to establish. For me, Newton definitely has Poise and Arm Strength... I have serious reservations about the work ethic and accuracy and I frankly have no clue about the leadership. So Newton is 2 or 3 out of 5.
          I think the people that would prefer Cam would point to this past season for the two players. Newton had a great year with a good supporting cast although he wasnt asked to make a ton of differant reads as you have pointed out.

Locker this past year was asked to do everything, carry a poor receiving corps behind a young and at times injured line. The thing is like buying a stock, past performances are no indication of future results.

Comment

Better at what? Quarterback? I'll take Locker all day long.
            How about as an NFL draft prospect? I win.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
              How about as an NFL draft prospect? I win.
              Did I miss the draft?

Comment

• I feel a poll coming on.

Comment

• Going to a pro day isn't a smoke screen, I don't see how you can put the two together. He's going to the pro day to see if he even wants to draft him, pretty sure that's not a smokescreen letting people know he's going to scout a player. A smoke screen to me usually starts something like "sources inside the Panthers organization say they have Gabbert as their #1 QB", not going to a workout.

But unless your trying to have leverage in contract talks, the #1 team doesn't need to play mind games.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                  I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                    Going to a pro day isn't a smoke screen, I don't see how you can put the two together. He's going to the pro day to see if he even wants to draft him, pretty sure that's not a smokescreen letting people know he's going to scout a player. A smoke screen to me usually starts something like "sources inside the Panthers organization say they have Gabbert as their #1 QB", not going to a workout.

But unless your trying to have leverage in contract talks, the #1 team doesn't need to play mind games.
                    No? The Falcons cut Jeff George's workout short to send out the message they were going to draft him. As a result, they were able to get the Colts 1st, Andre Rison, a talented guard whose name escapes me at the moment, and their 1st the following year so the Colts could take George.

I'm sure Ron Rivera is doing his due diligence, but you can't rule out anything.

Comment

• The Charlotte Observer's Darin Gantt predicts that Auburn QB Cam Newton will be the No. 1 overall pick in the draft.
                      "I think they were so set on Andrew Luck coming out, they're not going to wait," explains Gantt. "They need a quarterback." Gantt is the most clued-in Panthers beat writer in the country, so it would be difficult to not trust him. He also believes coach Ron Rivera "is going (to Auburn's Pro Day) for a reason," and that's to meet with the Panthers' next franchise quarterback.
                      Rotoworld.
                      "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

• Gantt also said that "maybe if I was going to Peterson's pro day tomorrow instead, I'd have him at the top of the list, instead...", and ....."I don't think it's outrageous [taking Newton first overall]. I think it could happen. So I pushed a button...".... Doesn't really sound to me like someone who knows any more than you or I about what the team is going to do.

It is the same situation as when reporters interviewed Rivera at the combine. They asked him "What do you think of drafting Cam Newton?". So, of course Rivera said..."Well, we are going to look at him along with a bunch of other guys, certainly he showed a lot of talent...blah, blah, blah.". Then by passing from one ear to another it somehow became "RIVERA SOLD ON NEWTON AS PANTHERS TOP PICK!".
                        Last edited by the natural; 03-08-2011, 12:00 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by the natural View Post
                          Gantt also said that "maybe if I was going to Peterson's pro day tomorrow instead, I'd have him at the top of the list, instead...", and ....."I don't think it's outrageous [taking Newton first overall]. I think it could happen. So I pushed a button...".... Doesn't really sound to me like someone who knows any more than you or I about what the team is going to do.
                          Do you seriously think you're on the same level of credibility in this matter as the Panthers top beat writer?

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
                          - For daily NFL draft coverage:
                          www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

• Well, Pudge open those tiny eyes sunk deep into the flesh of your face and read what Gantt is saying. Does it sound like he has Rivera and Hurley's sworn statement in his hand?

Comment

• Does it make any sense for Carolina to take a project QB, like Cam Newton #1?
                              Not at all, damn sports writers are so quick to forget about Jimmy Clausen.
                              Give the kid time, Cam Newton to the panthers would be such a pathetic pick.
                              I say they trade it to Dallas.
                              GO RAVENS

Comment

• Saying that Gantt is the most clued in Panthers reporter in the country is like saying that Barry Melrose is the most clued in hockey reporter on ESPN. It doesn't mean much if he's the only effing guy

FWIW Gantt thought Shockey had no chance of coming to Carolina when it was first reported

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information