No announcement yet.

Carolina at #1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exactly. This was the MLIVE guy on March 19, 2009.
    When asked about the first pick, Kowalski sticks to his guns, saying the Lions are most likely to grab a left tackle with the first pick of the draft.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the team asks him to put a story like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoRavens View Post
      Does it make any sense for Carolina to take a project QB, like Cam Newton #1?
      Not at all, damn sports writers are so quick to forget about Jimmy Clausen.
      Give the kid time, Cam Newton to the panthers would be such a pathetic pick.
      I say they trade it to Dallas.
      It's similar logic but if the Panthers think Newton will be a stud they have to take him. Look at the Dolphins for example, yeah Jake Long is an All pro but they passed up on a franchise QB in Matt Ryan because they already had a young QB with potential in Chad Henne. Same thing goes here, if Rivera and crew really believe they can turn Newton into a franchise QB they'd be dumb to pass on him because of Jimmy Claussen. Only the Panthers FO knows what they should do.
      Last edited by SeanTaylorRIP; 03-08-2011, 05:03 PM.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
      http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
      Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
      http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

• Originally posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
        It's similar logic but if the Panthers think Newton will be a stud they have to take him. Look at the Dolphins for example, yeah Joe Thomas is an All pro but they passed up on a franchise QB in Matt Ryan because they already had a young QB with potential in Chad Henne. Same thing goes here, if Rivera and crew really believe they can turn Newton into a franchise QB they'd be dumb to pass on him because of Jimmy Claussen. Only the Panthers FO knows what they should do.
        Tony Sparano is wishing Parcells got him Matt Ryan instead. Carolina will learn from that and take Newton. Claussen is a nice backup.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
          Tony Sparano is wishing Parcells got him Matt Ryan instead. Carolina will learn from that and take Newton. Claussen is a nice backup.
          Thank God Oakland went with JaMarcus Russell so Cleveland could 'settle' for Joe Thomas.

Comment

It was definitely Parcells decision and in his later years, Parcells came to believe you could win with a veteran QB and downgraded the position in his drafts. It really cost the Dolphins in the end.
            And proud of it!!!

Comment

Yup I think you have to go QB. Claussen isn't being paid anymore than a good backup gets paid so they shouldn't feel tied down to him. The biggest factor though is that there is no clear cut better player to justify not getting a franchise QB. The only guy who I think you could justify taking #1 is Peterson, but taking a DB at #1 is risky business, and even if he is an all pro from day 1 what are the chances the Panthers overall are any better.

Comment

Originally posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
                Thank God Oakland went with JaMarcus Russell so Cleveland could 'settle' for Joe Thomas.
                Seeing the Raiders QB situation still, you can't argue that Jamarcus was the wrong pick. Who would have thought that he'd becomes so damn lazy. It's easy to say now that it was an awful pick but at the time I had no problem with Jamarcus going #1 overall even if he wasn't the bpa. If you don't have a franchise QB that should be your #1 concern.

Comment

Seeing the Raiders QB situation still, you can't argue that Jamarcus was the wrong pick. Who would have thought that he'd becomes so damn lazy. It's easy to say now that it was an awful pick but at the time I had no problem with Jamarcus going #1 overall even if he wasn't the bpa. If you don't have a franchise QB that should be your #1 concern.
                  QB should be your #1 concern, but in order to take a quarterback #1 overall, you have to believe he's the best option or very close. JaMarcus Russell wasn't. Cameron Newton isn't (in my opinion).

Comment

Beyond the lazyness and the weight gain he just wasnt accurate with the Raiders, especially early on. When i watched him at LSU i thought he hung his receivers out to dry on a regular basis. He shouldnt have gone before Joe Thomas and Calvin Johnson but that caliber of player is not in the conversation this year i dont think.

Comment

Working...
                    X

Debug Information