Carolina at #1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TACKLE View Post
    That's a good way to put it. I'd be surprised if the pick ended up being anyone other than Newton.
    part of it is Newton but the other part is no clear "Mario Williams" or "jake Long" type of player that deserves #1 instead. Fairley measured short. Bowers has Clemson black cloud over his head. Gabbert maybe... but who else deserves #1? It's not like there's a Ndamukong Suh in this draft that is a no brainer (and even he didn't go #1).

put it another way I don't think they lose 14 games again with cam Newton (or Locker, Gabbert, Mallett) but they could lose 15 games if they stick with Clausen. they need a real QB... now.
    my shoes hurt

Why Me? The Bob Lamonta Story

Comment

Originally posted by the natural View Post
      Gabbert is the first player they formally interviewed at Indy. FWTW. I think he would be odds on favorite, since the team was originally going to go with Andrew Luck and Blaine is a very similar QB. Gabbert was ahead of Luck up to about the mid point of the past college season. He started to get banged up and limped down the stretch. Prior to that Gabbert pretty much doubled Luck's numbers across the board in 2009, and was active in 2008 while Andrew redshirted. As recruits, Blaine was 5 star and the #1 pro style prospect, Luck was 4 star and the #4 pro style prospect. Gabbert is a bit bigger, a bit faster, a bit younger, and has a stronger arm than Luck.
      hop off Gabberts d!cK! being a 5star recruit instead of a 4 star doesn't mean ****.

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.

Comment

Originally posted by bitonti View Post

Ron Rivera seemed to be talking himself into the pick, before NEwton worked out.
        The only reason Rivera talked about Newton in that inteview was because he was SPECIFICALLY ASKED about Newton. Twice. He made sure to add that he was considering "several other" quarterbacks and mentioned Locker and Gabbert by name. It's a bit of an urban myth. Ron was directly queried about Newton, said all the usual things, and all of a sudden he was "sold" on the guy. Not at all.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonRath View Post
          hop off Gabberts d!cK! being a 5star recruit instead of a 4 star doesn't mean ****.
          Read the forum rules, pal. You have a different opinion, fine. Learn to express it like an adult.

Comment

I'd say I'm about 90% sure that this pick will be a QB.
            Last edited by TACKLE; 03-02-2011, 08:23 PM.

Comment

I believe (hunch/gut feeling) that Marcell Dareus currently leads the Panthers board, but in the end, I think they will talk themselves into going with a QB here, and probably Blaine Gabbert.

I don't love Gabbert. I view Gabbert and Newton relatively close together. Newton has some advantages (better release point, cleaner motion), but Gabbert has more pocket poise, sees the field a bit better.

Comment

Pat Kirwan has Gabbert going #3, Newton #4. Or at least to Buffalo and Cincy. I guess one team or other could move up in the draft to get their pick. Mariucci has Gabbert going to the Cards at #5, no Newton in his top 10.

Comment

i Say Cam Newton, because qbs go high. and he is a physical freak.

Comment

Originally posted by REDSKINSWARRIOR82 View Post
                    i Say Cam Newton, because qbs go high. and he is a physical freak.
                    I was looking back at QB combine numbers and Duante Culpepper ran 4.55 at 255 pounds. With a 39" vertical! Plus the guy could throw the ball into the next county. Newton is certainly not more of a physical freak than he was.

Comment

I was looking back at QB combine numbers and Duante Culpepper ran 4.55 at 255 pounds. With a 39" vertical! Plus the guy could throw the ball into the next county. Newton is certainly not more of a physical freak than he was.
                      you just got punked!!

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.

Comment

1st overall pick? Cam Newton. Is he the right choice? I don't know. But the new head coach will want his QB and I believe it will be Newton. You already know the drill. Newton will shine during his Pro Day, wow everyone with his arm and athleticism, etc... Stock will rise again, one good interview and that's it.

Comment

I'd take Gabbert right now. He's got the physical tools and seems to be intelligent with no character flags. Bradford and McCoy are evidence that Big 12 QBs from spread offenses can succeed in the NFL. If not Gabbert, I'm leaning Dareus.

Comment

I'd trade the pick to Jerry Jones.
                            He'll get Patrick Peterson #1, of course.
                            GO RAVENS

Comment

I think there is only about 50% chance that Carolina keeps the pick. The #3, #4, and #5 teams picking in the draft all are in the market for a QB. Seems like a good chance that Carolina, and possibly Denver as well, trade down with their picks. Beyond the #5 pick, you have San Fran at #7, Tennessee #8, Dallas #9, and Washington #10. Any one of those teams might be inclined to trade up for a QB if they could. With a lively auction going on, Carolina and Denver will likely get very good offers and still be able to choose from the top defensive talent available.

The logical thing for Carolina to do, when you think about it, is to get a veteran through free agency or trade to carry the team for another year or two until a definite judgement can be made on Clausen. Remember, Jimmy was rated as highly last year going into the draft as Newton and Gabbert are this year.
                              Last edited by the natural; 03-03-2011, 01:08 AM.

Comment

until a definite judgement can be made on Clausen.
                                the jury is in... clausen sux.
                                my shoes hurt

Why Me? The Bob Lamonta Story

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information