Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have Any "Workout Warriors" Been Productive in the NFL?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have Any "Workout Warriors" Been Productive in the NFL?

I don't mean sure fire first round picks who have great workouts, I'm talking about guys who aren't in the first who have great workouts and then go on to have great NFL careers even if they weren't that great in college. Usually you hear of a 4th round guy having an awesome combine, getting into the first round and then does nothing in the NFL.

Any examples of it?? Maybe Clay Matthews?

It's hard to answer because there's so much re-writing of history with these things, but Nnamdi Asomugha (sp?) and RB Chris Johnson are 2 guys who come to mind. They weren't considered 1st round guys until killing the combine.

Comment

Chris Johnson and Deion Sanders come to mind.

Comment

I remember people arguing that Mario Williams was Mike Mamula part 2 and wasn't even the best defensive end on his own college team.

Comment

Vernon Davis has been pretty good and he was one of the biggest destroyers of the combine ever.

Comment

I instantly thought of Vernon Davis as well, probably was a first rounder before the combine but his domination of it locked him away.

Chris Johnson wasn't considered a first rounder by pretty much anyone even after his 40 but you have to think it played a massive part in him going in the first.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

D-Ware and Shawne Merriman both benefited greatly from their measurables. Heading into the combine, they were ranked highly because they were expected to impress and after they performed better than expected they jumped into the top 10.

Oldie but a goodie.

Comment

Clay Matthews as well. And it might be a bit too early but JPP might get there as well. DRC is also another candidate.

Comment

Dustin Keller.

I remember no one was talking about him when all of a sudden he tore up the combine and became a first round pick. He has fared pretty well so far in his early career.

Comment

Cameron Wake ran a 4.58 and had the 2nd highest vertical jump ever at the combine. Took him a while to get NFL success, but he got there.

Comment

Everyone loves to bring up "Mike Mamula" as the case of the classic workout warrior who never amounted to anything in the NFL - but Mamula actually had a decent NFL career by most standards:

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...M/MamuMi20.htm

31.5 sacks in 5 years. Above-average for most Defensive Linemen. The reason he could be considered a "bust" is simply because the Eagles traded up to select him #7 overall in the same draft class which saw Warren Sapp drafted at #12.

In my opinion, a true case of the "workout warrior" was someone like Vernon Gholston - amazing combine, drafted high, and absolutely NO impact in the NFL. Mamula was at least a solid, if unspectacular, player.

Comment

Originally posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
                        D-Ware and Shawne Merriman both benefited greatly from their measurables. Heading into the combine, they were ranked highly because they were expected to impress and after they performed better than expected they jumped into the top 10.
                        Yeah, DeMarcus Ware is probably the best recent example of a "workout warrior" who actually did live up to the hype.

Ware absolutely tore the Combine up. 4.56s 40, 38 1/2" VJ, 4.07s SS, 10'02" BJ. (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...005&genpos=OLB)

Between the Senior Bowl and the Combine that year, Ware's stock rose from 2nd-4th round to upper 1st round.

Comment

Jared Gaither is a guy that comes to mind for me

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
                          - No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
                          - Corner or Wideout in the first
                          - No reaching
                          - No Kelvin Benjamin

Comment

Most of the 'stars' or even solid starters in the NFL IMO had excellent workouts prior to the draft, whether at the combine or during on-campus workouts.

Interesting question the OP poses, however; how many guys had so-so or undistinguished college careers, had a great predraft workout and went on to have good NFL careers.

I don't know how many guys there are, if any at all. Even the lower drafted or underrated guys usually were very good college players.

If Bruce Campbell ever starts for the Raiders, he'd be my #1 dude for this list.

Oh wait, THE guy for this list has to be Antonio Gates!!! Didn't even play in college, had a great workout and now he's nearly a HOFer.

Comment

Gates would be good but he didn't jump into the first with his workout. Only person I can think of is Vernon Davis who has been said already, but he might have been a first rounder any way.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information