Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Pro Day Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Watching some of the ESPN3 coverage Newton looks good throwing the ball, much better than the combine. He just has a real laid back attitude out there that may rub some the wrong way. Impressive looking athlete for sure.

    Comment


    • #77
      zach clayton had himself a day (the guy who started beside fairley)

      6-2 300 ish i believe he is.

      4.68, 4.71

      10' in the broad jump

      27 reps of 225.

      hes very raw but is a dirty try hard who loves to play the game. if someone could continue to coach him up could be a good 3-4 end. seems like a steelers pick to me.

      edit,

      33.5" vertical
      Last edited by critesy; 03-08-2011, 04:59 PM.


      RIP, Sean Taylor.

      Comment


      • #78
        Originally posted by critesy View Post
        zach clayton had himself a day (the guy who started beside fairley)

        6-2 300 ish i believe he is.

        4.68, 4.71

        10' in the broad jump

        27 reps of 225.

        hes very raw but is a dirty try hard who loves to play the game. if someone could continue to coach him up could be a good 3-4 end. seems like a steelers pick to me.
        That's a pretty insane 40 for that size, Cam should have run he would have easily posted a better time than the combine, probably doesnt need it anyway.

        Comment


        • #79
          Originally posted by Babylon View Post
          Watching some of the ESPN3 coverage Newton looks good throwing the ball, much better than the combine. He just has a real laid back attitude out there that may rub some the wrong way. Impressive looking athlete for sure.
          A big question I have on Newton's throwing ability will be the consistency of his footwork under duress. He looks good here today, but will he revert to throwing off his back foot routinely while under pressure? Footwork in the pocket and while throwing is a relatively easy thing to coach in a controlled setting, but without pads on it's tough to tell (for sure) how far a player has come.

          Private workouts will likely move him around a lot more and key in on the habits evidenced in his college film.

          big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
          - For daily NFL draft coverage:
          www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

          Comment


          • #80
            Originally posted by ThePudge View Post
            A big question I have on Newton's throwing ability will be the consistency of his footwork under duress. He looks good here today, but will he revert to throwing off his back foot routinely while under pressure? Footwork in the pocket and while throwing is a relatively easy thing to coach in a controlled setting, but without pads on it's tough to tell (for sure) how far a player has come.

            Private workouts will likely move him around a lot more and key in on the habits evidenced in his college film.
            I think in the pocket he looks fine, maybe needs to get a quicker drop from center but he really stands tall and comes over the top nice. I'd say he isnt as strong on the run.

            Comment


            • #81
              Originally posted by Babylon View Post
              Watching some of the ESPN3 coverage Newton looks good throwing the ball, much better than the combine. He just has a real laid back attitude out there that may rub some the wrong way. Impressive looking athlete for sure.
              He has looked better but still won't blow anyone away. 50 of 60 last I saw. Aaron Rodgers was 92 of 93. Bradford was 62 of 63. Even Alex Smith was 77 of 80. You shouldn't have ten misses at a pro day.

              He looks really good on posts and in the intermediate game and not nearly as good in the deep and short game. Footwork isn't very good. Not a natural passer. He's got the arm he just needs a lot of technique work.

              I think if he goes to the right team where he won't start this year and if he goes in eager to learn (which is a huge question mark) he could be a pretty good Donovan McNabb type (as in mobility, can put up points and make great throws but questionable accuracy overall.)


              When being a fanboi goes too far.

              Comment


              • #82
                Originally posted by Babylon View Post
                I think in the pocket he looks fine, maybe needs to get a quicker drop from center but he really stands tall and comes over the top nice. I'd say he isnt as strong on the run.
                Well, here's the thing, he is definitely a little cocky. He knows he's got a hell of an arm. That said, so often in college he threw comfortably off his back foot. When under pressure, he most often resorted to throwing without his feet set or without stepping into the throw. He can make his release/delivery look very pretty but he has habits on the field that may be tough for him to break when he gets his pads on.

                big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
                - For daily NFL draft coverage:
                www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

                Comment


                • #83
                  Any team that picks SCAM Newton in the 1st Round will be regretting it!

                  He is a mix between Vince Young and Akili Smith.

                  End of story!

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Originally posted by Sportsfan486 View Post
                    He has looked better but still won't blow anyone away. 50 of 60 last I saw. Aaron Rodgers was 92 of 93. Bradford was 62 of 63. Even Alex Smith was 77 of 80. You shouldn't have ten misses at a pro day.

                    He looks really good on posts and in the intermediate game and not nearly as good in the deep and short game. Footwork isn't very good. Not a natural passer. He's got the arm he just needs a lot of technique work.

                    I think if he goes to the right team where he won't start this year and if he goes in eager to learn (which is a huge question mark) he could be a pretty good Donovan McNabb type (as in mobility, can put up points and make great throws but questionable accuracy overall.)
                    I agree. The hope for Newton is that he can become somewhere between a Donovan McNabb and Ben Roethlisberger. He's shown what he can do and has flashed what he's capable of, but there are a lot of holes in his game that need to be filled in and his footwork will need to continue to improve before he ever sees the field in the NFL. Not a flawless workout from Cam, like I may have expected, but when you're 6'5 244, can move the way he does, and throw the ball with that kind of zip (and occasionally touch) you won't be falling far on draft day. He's absolutely a boom or bust prospect, but there's no way he's on the board past the Palmer-less Bengals at 4th Overall.

                    big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
                    - For daily NFL draft coverage:
                    www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Originally posted by ThePudge View Post
                      I agree. The hope for Newton is that he can become somewhere between a Donovan McNabb and Ben Roethlisberger. He's shown what he can do and has flashed what he's capable of, but there are a lot of holes in his game that need to be filled in and his footwork will need to continue to improve before he ever sees the field in the NFL. Not a flawless workout from Cam, like I may have expected, but when you're 6'5 244, can move the way he does, and throw the ball with that kind of zip (and occasionally touch) you won't be falling far on draft day. He's absolutely a boom or bust prospect, but there's no way he's on the board past the Palmer-less Bengals at 4th Overall.



                      The Bungals drafting Scam Newton, will certainly seal Marvin Lewis fate!

                      He is no RapistBerger and No Choke McNabb!

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Originally posted by Sportsfan486 View Post
                        He has looked better but still won't blow anyone away. 50 of 60 last I saw. Aaron Rodgers was 92 of 93. Bradford was 62 of 63. Even Alex Smith was 77 of 80. You shouldn't have ten misses at a pro day.

                        He looks really good on posts and in the intermediate game and not nearly as good in the deep and short game. Footwork isn't very good. Not a natural passer. He's got the arm he just needs a lot of technique work.

                        I think if he goes to the right team where he won't start this year and if he goes in eager to learn (which is a huge question mark) he could be a pretty good Donovan McNabb type (as in mobility, can put up points and make great throws but questionable accuracy overall.)
                        If true, 50/60 is pretty underwhelming considering how rehearsed it is, how comfortable he is with the receivers, and the fact it's against air. What happens when there is an NFL defense on the field?

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Originally posted by Dark Knight01 View Post
                          The Bungals drafting Scam Newton, will certainly seal Marvin Lewis fate!

                          He is no RapistBerger and No Choke McNabb!
                          Really insightful stuff. Keep it coming. These ignorant two line posts aren't at all a waste of space in the thread, but yet another well-thought out illustration of why Cam Newton cannot develop into a successful pro.

                          big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
                          - For daily NFL draft coverage:
                          www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Originally posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
                            If true, 50/60 is pretty underwhelming considering how rehearsed it is, how comfortable he is with the receivers, and the fact it's against air. What happens when there is an NFL defense on the field?
                            I probably would look less at the percentages and more at the footwork, velocity, throwing on the run etc. 60 passes in a relatively short period of time is probably pretty taxing and at one time towards the end Cam was holding the back where he got dinged up a little in the championship game.

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Any word on how Fannin did?

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Originally posted by Babylon View Post
                                I probably would look less at the percentages and more at the footwork, velocity, throwing on the run etc. 60 passes in a relatively short period of time is probably pretty taxing and at one time towards the end Cam was holding the back where he got dinged up a little in the championship game.
                                So taxing no one should only ever miss 2 or 3. Missing only one is would be impossible....

                                Wait....

                                Originally posted by Sportsfan486
                                He has looked better but still won't blow anyone away. 50 of 60 last I saw. Aaron Rodgers was 92 of 93. Bradford was 62 of 63. Even Alex Smith was 77 of 80. You shouldn't have ten misses at a pro day.

                                bonekrusher
                                The Twitters
                                themaninblack

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information