Official Pro Day Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Babylon View Post
    I probably would look less at the percentages and more at the footwork, velocity, throwing on the run etc. 60 passes in a relatively short period of time is probably pretty taxing and at one time towards the end Cam was holding the back where he got dinged up a little in the championship game.
    But you wouldn't look at him as the #1 overall pick either.

People keep saying he should be the #1 pick in the draft... again, if the report of 50/60 is true, that's hardly an endorsement.

Comment

If he was off target on 10 passes, that's not good. But if his WRs simply dropped the ball, no harm.

Reviews I've heard about the workout are that Newton looked much better throwing the ball than he did in Indy.

Comment

Originally posted by wonderbredd24 View Post

People keep saying he should be the #1 pick in the draft... again, if the report of 50/60 is true, that's hardly an endorsement.
        I didn't see the whole thing but I saw at least 5 of the misses. Unless ESPN really screwed up counting then it was 50/60 towards the end (I think he threw 3 or 4 balls after that and either made them all or missed on one.. can't remember if one of the rollouts was counted in the 60.) So somewhere around 53/63ish.

He had at least 10 incompletions, though. They marked 2 or 3 as drops but were pretty generous as the 2 I saw were on pretty bad throws (one was a high fastball on a very short crossing route and another was just a really ugly dart on a rollout.) This was ESPN3s count, not my own. (50/60 with either 2 or 3 drops. He had a few more throws after.) Also keep in mind that the numbers I gave for other QBs include drops as incompletions. Bradford's one incompletion was a drop.

As another comparison, Vince Young went 50 of 55 at his pro day.
        Last edited by Sportsfan486; 03-08-2011, 05:54 PM.

When being a fanboi goes too far.

Comment

Personally i wouldnt take him #1 but i think he'll be gone by the 3rd pick. There's probably a lot of teams that hope he goes at or near the top of the draft.

Comment

Originally posted by Halsey View Post
            Any word on how Fannin did?
            all i can find is he stood on his combine numbers mostly.

jumped 9'8.5" in the broad jump is about all i got.

RIP, Sean Taylor.

Comment

Should and will are two different words with different meanings. Just because I think Cameron Newton WILL go First Overall doesn't mean I think he SHOULD. In this kind of class I don't think it's crazy however. If they can add a franchise QB to their roster, that's infinitely more important than a Pro Bowl Defensive End, Cornerback, or Defensive Tackle. Newton's obviously a boom or bust prospect, but that doesn't mean they will play it safe and add a player that brings less upside to the franchise.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
              - For daily NFL draft coverage:
              www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon View Post
                Personally i wouldnt take him #1 but i think he'll be gone by the 3rd pick. There's probably a lot of teams that hope he goes at or near the top of the draft.
                Probably a lot more teams praying he slips a little or a lot.
                It was an extremely windy day at Auburn's pro day and you could not but be liking the zip on his arm , as for the misses, it was an extremely hard day to be accurate so I wouldn't put much into 10 misses.
                What impresses me is his determination to be great, he'll workout without hesitation and continues to try and get better. That is what you need to succeed at the next level.
                And proud of it!!!

Comment

Take into account that it was fairly windy in Auburn today...was up to 14 MPH around 4pm which should have been around when he was throwing.

Comment

Originally posted by metafour View Post
                    Take into account that it was fairly windy in Auburn today...was up to 14 MPH around 4pm which should have been around when he was throwing.
                    14... and the average for the day was a mighty 9.

Are people seriously going to say this is a valid reason for him to be inaccurate?

While we're at it, the sun was probably in his eyes, so we better account for that too.

God forbid he plays in a game where the wind gets up to gusts of 25-40 or... rain/snow.
                    Last edited by wonderbredd24; 03-08-2011, 06:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by metafour View Post
                      I didn't see a single ball that seemed affected by the wind. His main problem was a lack of touch on most of his balls except posts.. which he somehow puts beautiful touch on. And he gets really shoddy technique wise on short passes, just isn't comfortable at all with them.

As for him being tired.. well.. it wasn't really rigorous. It was actually rather laidback and nonchalant, which probably isn't ideal considering that's part of his character concerns.

He did okay. He set the bar really low for himself with the combine so people are happy with this because he didn't look bad and had some throws (almost exclusively posts) that were fantastic.
                      Last edited by Sportsfan486; 03-08-2011, 06:52 PM.

When being a fanboi goes too far.

Comment

• It seemed more like a gab session. He didn't start to throw until 5 P.M. I think personal were there from about 8 A.M. Apparently he and the pot bellied guru, George, were in Miami all of last week polishing the image and the product with IMG Marketing. Shows where their priorities lie. These guys all want to get rich as of last week, and are all looking for the shortest route to a life of decadence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
                          Probably a lot more teams praying he slips a little or a lot.
                          It was an extremely windy day at Auburn's pro day and you could not but be liking the zip on his arm , as for the misses, it was an extremely hard day to be accurate so I wouldn't put much into 10 misses.
                          What impresses me is his determination to be great, he'll workout without hesitation and continues to try and get better. That is what you need to succeed at the next level.
                          I was referring to the teams that would get a better player on their board fall if a QB or two were to go in the top few picks.

As for him wanting to workout that is what the pro day is for, he could have run the 40 but passed on that. I give him credit for doing everything at the combine, Gabbert looked rather foolish by not throwing.

Comment

I'll have to go check my doppler radar and get the exact mph for wind. It seemed fine out there while i was watching it.

Comment

• Originally posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
                              14... and the average for the day was a mighty 9.

Are people seriously going to say this is a valid reason for him to be inaccurate?

While we're at it, the sun was probably in his eyes, so we better account for that too.

God forbid he plays in a game where the wind gets up to gusts of 25-40
                              It is absolutely a factor. Sam Bradford's Pro Day was indoors last year. So was Matt Ryan's. It doesn't have to be a monsoon to make an impact; and you're comparing windy conditions to two Pro Days that were held indoors in absolutely perfect conditions.

Comment

It is absolutely a factor. Sam Bradford's Pro Day was indoors last year. So was Matt Ryan's. It doesn't have to be a monsoon to make an impact; and you're comparing windy conditions to two Pro Days that were held indoors in absolutely perfect conditions.
                                I'm not comparing anything. I didn't mention anyone else's workout.

What I am saying is if he can't be accurate when he's rehearsed the workout, with players he's familiar with, against air, and can't be accurate because of a slight breeze especially with how strong his arm is, how is he going to be accurate with defenders on the field, in the pocket, and in the wind, rain, or snow.

Football is almost never played at 100%, because of injuries, weather, etc. The weather isn't perfect? Deal with it.

If you are seriously going to say this is a viable excuse, then the Bengals and Bills should take him off their draft board entirely
                                Last edited by wonderbredd24; 03-08-2011, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information