Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wait - i'm hearing he was 54/60 ....
    Originally posted by Babylon
    It's called Karma for all the years with Montana and Young.

Comment

• Originally posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
      What I am saying is if he can't be accurate when he's rehearsed the workout, with players he's familiar with, against air, and can't be accurate because of a slight breeze especially with how strong his arm is, how is he going to be accurate with defenders on the field, in the pocket, and in the wind, rain, or snow.
      Seems like every report has been very positive to me.

ESPN: Cam Newton shows accuracy at pro day
      Mayock: Cam Newton's pro day workout drew rave reviews from Mike Mayock on Tuesday.
      Gil Brandt: Newton’s pro day shows why he should go No. 1

Comment

• Originally posted by metafour View Post
        Seems like every report has been very positive to me.

ESPN: Cam Newton shows accuracy at pro day
        Mayock: Cam Newton's pro day workout drew rave reviews from Mike Mayock on Tuesday.
        Gil Brandt: Newton’s pro day shows why he should go No. 1
        This is what I expected... I am waiting for someone to come out and declare this is the greatest workout they've ever seen which seems to happen on a yearly basis for one of the quarterbacks.

I was going off the 50/60 claim, which is why I added if true

Of course Mayock will freely admit that the greatest workout he's ever seen was... JaMarcus Russell

Comment

This is what I expected... I am waiting for someone to come out and declare this is the greatest workout they've ever seen which seems to happen on a yearly basis for one of the quarterbacks.

I was going off the 50/60 claim, which is why I added if true

Of course Mayock will freely admit that the greatest workout he's ever seen was... JaMarcus Russell
          I don't think anybody is comparing Newton to Russell as far as determination to be great is concerned or to Gabbert for that matter.
          And proud of it!!!

Comment

• 50/60 is the correct number, there were 2 or 3 drops and the rest were legit incompletions. There was a little bit of wind but not enough dramatically affect his passes. He looked ok, he wasn't terrible and he wasn't great. The whole thing is pretty overrated in my opinion. Everything was rehearsed and planned and didn't really answer any questions most teams probably have about him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
              I don't think anybody is comparing Newton to Russell as far as determination to be great is concerned or to Gabbert for that matter.
              You're missing the point. I am of the opinion that pro day workouts for quarterbacks are just about worthless because it is basically a highlight tape.

But, if Newton blew his workout away, it will truly be legendary because he was forced to brave the elements that included... 14 mph gusts

The fact alone should boost his stock

Comment

• Originally posted by FuzzyGopher View Post
                50/60 is the correct number, there were 2 or 3 drops and the rest were legit incompletions. There was a little bit of wind but not enough dramatically affect his passes. He looked ok, he wasn't terrible and he wasn't great. The whole thing is pretty overrated in my opinion. Everything was rehearsed and planned and didn't really answer any questions most teams probably have about him.
                Great expert opinion which contradicts everyone who was actually there.

Comment

Indeed... little bit of wind is an unfair characterization.

They were actually gale force winds that would put a piece of straw through a tree.

Fortunately, Cam Newton's arm was so strong, his throws pierced the wind like a hot knife through butter.

Comment

Indeed... little bit of wind is an unfair characterization.

They were actually gale force winds that would put a piece of straw through a tree.

Fortunately, Cam Newton's arm was so strong, his throws pierced the wind like a hot knife through butter.
                    Herp derp. Why so ruined?

Comment

Except for every pro and former pro scout will tell you they've NEVER seen a bad pro day from a Quarterback. Every single QB will out-do their Combine with their Pro Day.

All Newton did today is show up, showcase improving* footwork/mechanics, and throw his short-intermediate passes with more accuracy than he did in Indy. This day affects his stock in no way, but it's nice to see that he fared better than he did in front of cameras/evaluators in Indy. Still, he entered the day a Top 5 pick and the favorite to go #1, and that's how he'll be seen at the end of the day as well.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
                      - For daily NFL draft coverage:
                      www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

I watched pretty much the whole thing and i agree with Fuzzy, it was good but i wasnt totally blown away.

Cam did well, i thought he answered some questions about making all the throws and his drops from center. He doesnt look all that accurate throwing on the run and his long balls are iffy but overall i'd say if you like him there are a lot of things that you can take away.

Comment

• It must be hard to have touch when Dorothy and Toto and houses are flying around in your way.

Comment

I'm not comparing anything. I didn't mention anyone else's workout.

What I am saying is if he can't be accurate when he's rehearsed the workout, with players he's familiar with, against air, and can't be accurate because of a slight breeze especially with how strong his arm is, how is he going to be accurate with defenders on the field, in the pocket, and in the wind, rain, or snow.

Football is almost never played at 100%, because of injuries, weather, etc. The weather isn't perfect? Deal with it.

If you are seriously going to say this is a viable excuse, then the Bengals and Bills should take him off their draft board entirely
                            Lots of QB prospects workout indoors. I say it says something about Newton that he chose to work outdoors on a windy day. It was hardly a slight breeze.
                            Again, I say that Newton and Gabbert are only juniors and hardly finished products, some people will automatically downgrade them because they are raw, but if you ever hope to get a franchise QB and continue to pass on junior QB's, you could be waiting years and years for the right guy.
                            Charley Casserly(Sp.), the ex GM of the Houston Texans, hates Newton but he took David Carr #1 overall so maybe his opinion on QB's could be shaky.
                            Mayock will probably end up with Newton, #2 on his list(he's #3 right now), and he has a pretty solid resume on drafting QB's.
                            I like what Newton brings to the table as well as what Gabbert has to offer, I realize both are juniors and both will need an extra year to adjust but I feel that their upside warrants drafting them extremely high IMO. The position is simply too important to pass on these guys and I think the teams that do so will be crying for passing on them similar to how Miami is feeling today. Is there a risk, you bet there is but for me the rewards are too high to pass on.
                            And proud of it!!!

Comment

Care to elaborate? Or do you just want to sound like an asshole and provide no insight or opinion to this conversation?

Comment

• Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
                                Lots of QB prospects workout indoors. I say it says something about Newton that he chose to work outdoors on a windy day. It was hardly a slight breeze.
                                There it is... this right here is the spin of legends

Not only is the wind (14mph? Are you listening, Chicago?) a valid excuse, it actually enhances him as a prospect

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information