Official Pro Day Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
    Lots of QB prospects workout indoors. I say it says something about Newton that he chose to work outdoors on a windy day. It was hardly a slight breeze.
    Again, I say that Newton and Gabbert are only juniors and hardly finished products, some people will automatically downgrade them because they are raw, but if you ever hope to get a franchise QB and continue to pass on junior QB's, you could be waiting years and years for the right guy.
    Charley Casserly(Sp.), the ex GM of the Houston Texans, hates Newton but he took David Carr #1 overall so maybe his opinion on QB's could be shaky.
    Mayock will probably end up with Newton, #2 on his list(he's #3 right now), and he has a pretty solid resume on drafting QB's.
    I like what Newton brings to the table as well as what Gabbert has to offer, I realize both are juniors and both will need an extra year to adjust but I feel that their upside warrants drafting them extremely high IMO. The position is simply too important to pass on these guys and I think the teams that do so will be crying for passing on them similar to how Miami is feeling today. Is there a risk, you bet there is but for me the rewards are too high to pass on.
    Agree for the most part. Although, the Auburn pro day has been set for a year or so, I don't know that Newt deserves credit for "choosing to work outdoors on a windy day". It was hardly his choice. Casserly and Mayock are on the money as far as the instincts and vision are concerned. But I think that Gabbert may be ahead in that department. Especially with the time he is getting in with Terry Shea.

Comment

• Not that anyone knows off the top, but IMO it's unusual for top QB prospects to workout outdoors.

Cam ain't scared!!!!

Comment

• [QUOTE=wonderbredd24;2547593]You're missing the point. I am of the opinion that pro day workouts for quarterbacks are just about worthless because it is basically a highlight tape.

I am in complete disagreement with you on this point. Pro scouts and GM's aren't going to use a pro day workout as the be all and end all of a player's assessment, Al Davis being an exception.
        They aren't worthless in the least. A pro day shows off a QB's arm strength, you cannot hide that like so many college HC's do when running their system.
        Pro teams are going to invite Newton to workout for them privately, where he will have to continue to showcase his skills for their scouts and GM's.
        You cannot hide from weaknesses in your foot speed or your ability to drop back quickly or from defects in your throwing motion.
        Your athletic skills and defects will come through any practice. The mental aspects of the game is completely a side issue that have to be assessed elsewhere.
        And proud of it!!!

Comment

• This workout did little to address the questions that are most asked about Newton other than to see some progression on his footwork as it relates to dropping back from under center. Those who love him still love him and those who don't did not see a reason to change their opinion today either.

Raise your hand if you learned today that Cam Newton had a strong arm. The comment that pro days expose arm strength when every throw from the previous season and most beyond that is on tape seems disingenuous at best.

Comment

• Brooks Reed 1.54 10 yd split. Damn.

Comment

• LOL, Newt did an interview with Mike Mayock and called him "Mr. McShay".

Comment

• Originally posted by metafour View Post
                It is absolutely a factor. Sam Bradford's Pro Day was indoors last year. So was Matt Ryan's. It doesn't have to be a monsoon to make an impact; and you're comparing windy conditions to two Pro Days that were held indoors in absolutely perfect conditions.

Wind must've been blowing around 44 MPH inside Lucas Oil Stadium the other day when Scam Knewton was throwing

Comment

• Originally posted by JHL6719 View Post
                  Wind must've been blowing around 44 MPH inside Lucas Oil Stadium the other day when Scam Knewton was throwing
                  Yeah. And today at his pro day it was one of those hurricane force wind days where towels, clothes and hair remain perfectly still because of the shear force of wind. Gatorade bottles remain perfectly propped in the grass due to the horrific downthrust of gale force gusts. Not a single ball appears to flutter just because the tornado like effect encapsulates and guides the ball unerringly away from the wide receiver while maintaining a spiral.

Newton improved over a horrible showing at the combine. He didn't do well enough to really change how anyone feels about him.

When being a fanboi goes too far.

Comment

• Originally posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
                    Not that anyone knows off the top, but IMO it's unusual for top QB prospects to workout outdoors.

Cam ain't scared!!!!

You're getting just as bad as the haters, by spinning everything into a positive.
                    Originally posted by SNIPER26
                    fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

• Originally posted by JustDezIT View Post
                      Brooks Reed 1.54 10 yd split. Damn.
                      Brooks Reed is turning into my favorite underrated OLB prospect. There's a few pro bowls in that young man's future IMO.

What round/range of picks will he be drafted???

Comment

• Originally posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
                        Brooks Reed is turning into my favorite underrated OLB prospect. There's a few pro bowls in that young man's future IMO.

What round/range of picks will he be drafted???
                        i think he ends up late first to a team like ravens, atl, pats, nyj, or packers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirty Thirty View Post
                          i think he ends up late first to a team like ravens, atl, pats, nyj, or packers.
                          I would enjoy him in KC, oooh yueahhhhh
                          my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                          <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                          <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                          <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                          Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                          What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

• Ok so Newton improved his throwing performance. Fine & dandy.

Never thought he would be close to the 1st QB taken, wrong style, teams simply want that pocket passer who can make all the throws & not get rattled when 300-pounders flatten them from time to time, stay healthy & play there as their Face of the Franchise for yrs. And he has only one yr. of Auburn videotapes to evaluate him, that that might increase the risk factor for some teams too. I don't think any new teams will now enter the lists of his suitors.

But what about Fairley? He's the Auburn guy who most needed to improve his stock in the Pro Day after apparently horrible Combine interviews

Comment

• I believe Brooks Reed will be a Chief.

Comment

• Originally posted by LizardState View Post
                                Ok so Newton improved his throwing performance. Fine & dandy.

Never thought he would be close to the 1st QB taken, wrong style, teams simply want that pocket passer who can make all the throws & not get rattled when 300-pounders flatten them from time to time, stay healthy & play there as their Face of the Franchise for yrs. And he has only one yr. of Auburn videotapes to evaluate him, that that might increase the risk factor for some teams too. I don't think any new teams will now enter the lists of his suitors.

But what about Fairley? He's the Auburn guy who most needed to improve his stock in the Pro Day after apparently horrible Combine interviews
                                McShay (i know) said his workout yesterday was one of the best he's ever seen, take that fwiw. To me he looks like Warren Sapp, which could make him a big ###hole but a great player.

I found it interesting that Elway and Fox were there, it was obviously to see Fairley, either that or it was the biggest diss of Tim Tebow ever.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information