Scouts Quotes on Prospects

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brown Leader View Post
    Some of the interesting anonymous quotes from scouts, or a scout, per PFW draft mag in their section, "what the scouts are saying"...def the best part of the mag...
    Yeah, I love the PFW Draft Mag, I pick it up as soon as its released.

I like reading that part as well....very insightful.
    Doesn't matter if it is all fat, if he can move better covered in fat, more power to him. SAINTS-TIGERS

WHO DEY, ALL DEY, ERY' DEY

Comment

Originally posted by killxswitch View Post
      So... does this guy like anybody other than Tandon Doss?
      Yeah, he liked Marcel Dareus, said he 'was a slam dunk'.

Was kinda wary of Bowers, completely turned off by Will Hill and Marvin Austin.

I have the mag, but not in front of me right now.
      Doesn't matter if it is all fat, if he can move better covered in fat, more power to him. SAINTS-TIGERS

WHO DEY, ALL DEY, ERY' DEY

Comment

Some of the same criticisms are shared between Locker and Freeman...I think Locker is this year's Josh Freeman

JOSH FREEMAN Kansas State 6-5 1/2 250 4.95 1-2
        Became the starter five games into his freshman season and finished 14-18 overall. Hes not a Donovan McNabb or a Daunte Culpepper, but if youre looking for a quarterback to groom I would say this is the guy, St. Louis VP Tony Softli said. Hes got the size, the arm strength, touch. He can run with the ball. Very articulate and very smart (27 on the Wonderlic). Operated a spread shotgun offense with marginal effectiveness, finishing with a passer rating of 81.0. Passed for 8,078 yards, breaking Lynn Dickeys school record of 6,208. You cant pull any tape out and say you feel good about how that guy plays, one scout said. Hes bad. Raw talent but he has no clue. He has no vision. Very inaccurate. Their offense was one of the most inept Ive seen. Him trying to run it, it was hard to watch. His father, Ron, played in the United States Football League. Grew up in Kansas City. Hes raw with footwork and release points, another scout said. Very inconsistent accuracy. Hes got some underachiever in him. Even though hes smart enough hes got some laziness about him.

Comment

Does anyone know when the McGinn stuff comes out? Is it usually closer to the draft?

Comment

Originally posted by SolidGold View Post
            Does anyone know when the McGinn stuff comes out? Is it usually closer to the draft?
            Don't quote me on this, but I remember it coming out only a few days before the draft last year.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnCandy View Post
              J. Baldwin- " Best hands in draft, huge targert, great ball skills. definatley more of an X(split end) than a Z(flanker). not a good route runner. maneuverability in his hips is a little bit of an issue. chip on his shoulder wants to prove hes as good as Green and Jones.
              I think this entire thread is awesome but this i just 100% not true. What ball skills? I have watched every game of Jon Baldwin in the Pitt uniform and do not recall one game of him having good, rather than elite ball skills. Most notably his adjustments to the ball in the air that is misthrown. His abillity to high point a ball is extremely weak. when they talk abotu going up and getting it or not waiting for the ball to come to you they should show some of his highlights. If you dont believe me just watch one of his good games against West Virginia (not the game with Tino Sunseri....with the 2nd team all big east bill stull).... Hes all freak athlete and huge production against he mediocre defenses of the Big East. That being said, when the ball hits his hands its usually his. he just doesnt get there often enough for me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sPxeIzAzTo

good player but not a first round pick in my book
              Last edited by JFINK11; 03-09-2011, 01:23 PM.
              Originally posted by Menardo75
              I think I might want to punch you.

Comment

Here's some more quotes from scouts (through PFW)

http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...rst-round-pick

• "The more Courtney Upshaw talked (in the interview process), the more I got scared. He has a lot of distractions in his life. There are a lot of concerns there. We need an edge guy, but we wouldn't touch him in the first (round). I'd have hesitations in the second where we're picking, after hearing him talk about grabbing his girlfriend by the hair."

• "You can't take away (Baylor WR Kendall) Wright's production. He is falling (in the draft), but he's still a playmaker."

• "(Wisconsin OG Kevin) Zeitler struggles in pass pro a little bit. The program is known for its run blocking. That’s their flavor of the day. He has 31-inch arms and gets out of sorts in pass protection."

• "(Former LSU CB) Patrick Peterson had one unique quality — he could fly. That is why he went where he did. He has been more productive as a punt returner than he has been as a corner. He won games as a returner. (Morris) Claiborne is not as fast. I worry about LSU skill guys — look at the corners and safeties and receivers that have come out of the program. How many have been free of issues coming out?"

• "(Iowa OLT) Riley Reiff is a guard all the way. He is a tough, grinding guard — the same as (Ravens All-Pro and former Hawkeye Marshal) Yanda. That’s what I think he is."

• "Everyone says (South Carolina CB) Stephon Gilmore is rising after his workout. That is what I am hearing on the street. He is a big corner, and everyone is going big now. The value is in the late first. I’ve heard teams talking about him in the top 10."

• "(Washington RB Chris) Polk was productive on a (bad) team, but he gained weight this year and lost some speed and did not have any burst. He was coming off knee surgery. I’m not sure if he ever had explosive speed, to be honest. We have him in the fifth (round)."

• "(South Carolina WR) Alshon Jeffery can't run a lick. Show me the tape where he separates with speed or quickness."

• "I hope that big sucker (Alabama RB Trent Richardson) does not come to our division. He's a man's man. I don't want to see him twice a year."

Originally Posted by scottyboy
                my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
                But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons

Comment

"(Iowa OLT) Riley Reiff is a guard all the way. He is a tough, grinding guard — the same as (Ravens All-Pro and former Hawkeye Marshal) Yanda. That’s what I think he is."
                  guard all the way? not really
                  E]

Comment

These are neat but damn some of these scouts sound like complete idiots.

Comment

LOL!

Still fun to get an insider's opinion with professional experience in selecting players.
                      It's one thing to have an opinion about a prospect like all of us have, it's an entirely different reality when you have to put your name and your owner's checkbook behind a selection.

If you put Alshon Jeffery across from someone like Desean Jackson or Mike Wallace, I think he could be an impact player in the pros. But he's not a consistent downfield threat in the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by phlysac
                        Poe being #3 is absolute proof that some GMs seem to care more about Combine measurables than game tape.
                        All teams are more concerned about projection to the NFL than what they did in college and high school.

-------------------

99% sure that scout is from Jacksonville.
                        Last edited by descendency; 04-13-2012, 12:48 PM.
                        **** her in da *****!

Comment

Originally posted by descendency View Post
                          All teams are more concerned about projection to the NFL than what they did in college and high school.

-------------------

99% sure that scout is from Jacksonville.
                          Poe's inability to dominate C-USA doesn't bother you??
                          Compare that to Dareus/Suh/Fairley who flashed elite level ability against BCS schools several times a game, and many times looked like the best player on the field.

If Fairley/Suh/Dareus had Poe's game film playing in the Big 12 and SEC, none of them would have been considered top 5 overall prospects.

So how does a guy who's bigger, stronger and faster than ALL OF THEM with worse game film in the lowest level D1 football get a grade of a top 5-10 prospect??

If people want to put Poe in the first round because of his measurables and potential upside, I'm cool with that.

But top 5 for Poe IMO doesn't make much sense.

Comment

I don't know if C-USA is the lowest level of D-1. And I think in response to your question (how does he get a top 5-10 grade?), the answer is simple. Haloti Ngata. Isaac Sopoaga. He's a NT prospect in a league that doesn't believe it's terribly hard to be successful at the position. His physical prowess in a 3-4 defense is all he really needs to eat up blockers, which is his sole responsibility. And as simple as his job may be, it's of critical importance to the rest of the defense.
                            -The Contrarian Proletarian

Comment

"(Wisconsin OG Kevin) Zeitler struggles in pass pro a little bit. The program is known for its run blocking. Thats their flavor of the day. He has 31-inch arms and gets out of sorts in pass protection."

Not to be picky - but Zeitler has 32.75" arms - slightly longer than DeCastro.

Comment

Originally posted by Asteinebach View Post
                                I don't know if C-USA is the lowest level of D-1. And I think in response to your question (how does he get a top 5-10 grade?), the answer is simple. Haloti Ngata. Isaac Sopoaga. He's a NT prospect in a league that doesn't believe it's terribly hard to be successful at the position. His physical prowess in a 3-4 defense is all he really needs to eat up blockers, which is his sole responsibility. And as simple as his job may be, it's of critical importance to the rest of the defense.
                                Top 10 is a little high IMO to take a 34 NT. Not off the wall range for Poe to go, but I would think his best value at that position is mid 20s and further down.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information