X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JohnCandy
    started a topic Scouts Quotes on Prospects

Scouts Quotes on Prospects

These are from a piece Bob McGinn does every year on the draft for the Milwaukee Journal Sentinal

Nate Solder-" he's the most talented tackle overall. he's just got a ways to go with his anchor and learning the tricks of the trade. He doesnt have the grit and finish or the lower body-strength yet. Too tall

Tyron Smith-" his technique is all screwed up, but he has great body balance, feet, and quickness.

Castonzo- "technically, he may be the best of the tackles. he's got a little stiffness. He's athletic but I just dont see any power to him. I just dont like the way he's built. He's linear not real bulky guy.

Carimi- "I think he's probably the most ready to play. I dont think he will be elite type tackle but he will be a good solid pro." 2 scouts said right tackle only. " I think he's a first round pick almost by default. not as good as Bulaga. smart kid, will battle you, you could do worse.

Pouncey- "Brother was a little more powerful. He wont always be pretty but he anchors really well, which is a key for centers and guards. good range, above average athlete, good size, plays hard. had half a dozen faulty shotgun snaps in 2010.

J. Baldwin- " Best hands in draft, huge targert, great ball skills. definatley more of an X(split end) than a Z(flanker). not a good route runner. maneuverability in his hips is a little bit of an issue. chip on his shoulder wants to prove hes as good as Green and Jones.

Liuget- "He's a whole lot better than i thought he was going to be. he doesnt stay blocked long. hes going to beat you with his strength and his feet. quick off the ball, real stout, good insticts.

D Sherrod- " did not look good at senior bowl. hes a hit or miss fuy. Smarter than you average Mississippi State guy. He will be a starter."

Ijalana-" Athletically he's really good. he can bend. He plays to his competition level. the question is, does his fire burn all the time. turned it up only 2 or 3 times in his career. Hes a slab of a man who underachieves. hes willing to work just hasnt had a coach up his rear.

O Franklin-" I think he's better than Castonzo." another scout said "top 50 or 60 player, better than Carimi, more physical and athletic.

M. Cannon- " He tries to win with his size. he's go some stiffness. does not always finish. not ready to play. it will take him a year or so to get it. when he does he has the ability to play left tackle.

Marcus Gilbert- " Hes not real bright. Underachiever, bust waiting to happen."

Kerrigan- " Hes a Kerney, Vanden Bosch. going to make it because he persitstent and savvy. He cares so much. Hes a little tight.

Paea- "he's got a little bit of a height issue. He's a 3-technique. not a nose tackle.

P. Taylor- "He has to keep his weight under control. He's got ability no question about it. really gifted feet.

M. Austin- "if he had any character at all he would be a 1st round pick. he's a punk but he has special, special feet. He does some athletic stuff that makes you go Holy $@*#%

Jimmy Smith- " He's a pretty good player but he's a jerk." most scouts like him but had expressed major misgivings about his character.

Brandon Harris- " Plays with his eyes. he's confident. we see him more as a late second or third round guy."

Aaron Williams- "Hes more finesse than physical. Then again, Texas guys are pampered and cant fight through adversity. good

• stlouisfan37
    replied
    Originally posted by keylime_5
    you guys can pass on Sammy Watkins, I'll gladly take him. He is the epitome of can't miss.
    I agree. I think he has it all, and he's a good kid. Not only does he have the skill set, athleticism, explosion...but he just flat out plays. Kind of goes at it with the aproach of "why not right now?"

I think in a couple years he will be looked at as the best WR prospect in a long time. I almost hope we still need a WR when the time comes:-)

Leave a comment:

• descendency
    replied
    Originally posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
    Poe's inability to dominate C-USA doesn't bother you??
    The question isn't "does it bother me" but "does it bother me enough to ignore that he has what I need in a NT?" Obviously it would bother me, but I could easily attribute that to coaching. Without having Memphis film, it's hard to assess that.

Leave a comment:

• killxswitch
    replied
    Originally posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
    Scouts are paid to be opinionated. They tend to hate players a lot more frequently than either fans or media members. It's jarring when you're used to the more friendly approach that draftniks employ, but it does make a certain sort of sense.

I mean, if you've got a scout on your payroll who is an excellent judge of everything that is wrong with every player, that guy's really useful.
    I can see that. However I also see some really outlandish, ridiculous statements like "RG3 can't do any of the things an NFL QB needs to do". There's being critical and then there's being over-the-top.

Leave a comment:

• PossibleCabbage
    replied
    Originally posted by killxswitch View Post
    These are neat but damn some of these scouts sound like complete idiots.
    Scouts are paid to be opinionated. They tend to hate players a lot more frequently than either fans or media members. It's jarring when you're used to the more friendly approach that draftniks employ, but it does make a certain sort of sense.

I mean, if you've got a scout on your payroll who is an excellent judge of everything that is wrong with every player, that guy's really useful.

Leave a comment:

• Asteinebach
    replied
    Originally posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
    Top 10 is a little high IMO to take a 34 NT. Not off the wall range for Poe to go, but I would think his best value at that position is mid 20s and further down.
    The concept of value is a direct reflection of need. If there's a 2 gap system that really needs to add a true NT as one of the finishing touches on an already decent defense, the value of a guy like Dontari Poe becomes much better in the 10-20 range. Top ten, I'd have a hard time picking NT. And I think the only thing that would substantiate that high a pick for a NT is if he's got some legitimate pass-rushing abilities as well. Which...Poe ran what, 4.98?

I'm not saying he's worth a top 10 pick, but to the right suitor, maybe.

Leave a comment:

• FUNBUNCHER
    replied
    Originally posted by Asteinebach View Post
    I don't know if C-USA is the lowest level of D-1. And I think in response to your question (how does he get a top 5-10 grade?), the answer is simple. Haloti Ngata. Isaac Sopoaga. He's a NT prospect in a league that doesn't believe it's terribly hard to be successful at the position. His physical prowess in a 3-4 defense is all he really needs to eat up blockers, which is his sole responsibility. And as simple as his job may be, it's of critical importance to the rest of the defense.
    Top 10 is a little high IMO to take a 34 NT. Not off the wall range for Poe to go, but I would think his best value at that position is mid 20s and further down.

Leave a comment:

• duesouth
    replied
    "(Wisconsin OG Kevin) Zeitler struggles in pass pro a little bit. The program is known for its run blocking. That‘«÷s their flavor of the day. He has 31-inch arms and gets out of sorts in pass protection."

Not to be picky - but Zeitler has 32.75" arms - slightly longer than DeCastro.

Leave a comment:

• Asteinebach
    replied
    I don't know if C-USA is the lowest level of D-1. And I think in response to your question (how does he get a top 5-10 grade?), the answer is simple. Haloti Ngata. Isaac Sopoaga. He's a NT prospect in a league that doesn't believe it's terribly hard to be successful at the position. His physical prowess in a 3-4 defense is all he really needs to eat up blockers, which is his sole responsibility. And as simple as his job may be, it's of critical importance to the rest of the defense.

Leave a comment:

• FUNBUNCHER
    replied
    Originally posted by descendency View Post
    All teams are more concerned about projection to the NFL than what they did in college and high school.

-------------------

99% sure that scout is from Jacksonville.
    Poe's inability to dominate C-USA doesn't bother you??
    Compare that to Dareus/Suh/Fairley who flashed elite level ability against BCS schools several times a game, and many times looked like the best player on the field.

If Fairley/Suh/Dareus had Poe's game film playing in the Big 12 and SEC, none of them would have been considered top 5 overall prospects.

So how does a guy who's bigger, stronger and faster than ALL OF THEM with worse game film in the lowest level D1 football get a grade of a top 5-10 prospect??

If people want to put Poe in the first round because of his measurables and potential upside, I'm cool with that.

But top 5 for Poe IMO doesn't make much sense.

Leave a comment:

• descendency
    replied
    Originally posted by phlysac
    Poe being #3 is absolute proof that some GMs seem to care more about Combine measurables than game tape.
    All teams are more concerned about projection to the NFL than what they did in college and high school.

-------------------

99% sure that scout is from Jacksonville.
    Last edited by descendency; 04-13-2012, 12:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• FUNBUNCHER
    replied
    LOL!

Still fun to get an insider's opinion with professional experience in selecting players.
    It's one thing to have an opinion about a prospect like all of us have, it's an entirely different reality when you have to put your name and your owner's checkbook behind a selection.

If you put Alshon Jeffery across from someone like Desean Jackson or Mike Wallace, I think he could be an impact player in the pros. But he's not a consistent downfield threat in the NFL.

Leave a comment:

• killxswitch
    replied
    These are neat but damn some of these scouts sound like complete idiots.

Leave a comment:

• K Train
    replied
    "(Iowa OLT) Riley Reiff is a guard all the way. He is a tough, grinding guard — the same as (Ravens All-Pro and former Hawkeye Marshal) Yanda. That’s what I think he is."
    guard all the way? not really

Leave a comment:

• Bills2083
    replied
    Here's some more quotes from scouts (through PFW)

http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...rst-round-pick

• "The more Courtney Upshaw talked (in the interview process), the more I got scared. He has a lot of distractions in his life. There are a lot of concerns there. We need an edge guy, but we wouldn't touch him in the first (round). I'd have hesitations in the second where we're picking, after hearing him talk about grabbing his girlfriend by the hair."

• "You can't take away (Baylor WR Kendall) Wright's production. He is falling (in the draft), but he's still a playmaker."

• "(Wisconsin OG Kevin) Zeitler struggles in pass pro a little bit. The program is known for its run blocking. That’s their flavor of the day. He has 31-inch arms and gets out of sorts in pass protection."

• "(Former LSU CB) Patrick Peterson had one unique quality — he could fly. That is why he went where he did. He has been more productive as a punt returner than he has been as a corner. He won games as a returner. (Morris) Claiborne is not as fast. I worry about LSU skill guys — look at the corners and safeties and receivers that have come out of the program. How many have been free of issues coming out?"

• "(Iowa OLT) Riley Reiff is a guard all the way. He is a tough, grinding guard — the same as (Ravens All-Pro and former Hawkeye Marshal) Yanda. That’s what I think he is."

• "Everyone says (South Carolina CB) Stephon Gilmore is rising after his workout. That is what I am hearing on the street. He is a big corner, and everyone is going big now. The value is in the late first. I’ve heard teams talking about him in the top 10."

• "(Washington RB Chris) Polk was productive on a (bad) team, but he gained weight this year and lost some speed and did not have any burst. He was coming off knee surgery. I’m not sure if he ever had explosive speed, to be honest. We have him in the fifth (round)."

• "(South Carolina WR) Alshon Jeffery can't run a lick. Show me the tape where he separates with speed or quickness."

• "I hope that big sucker (Alabama RB Trent Richardson) does not come to our division. He's a man's man. I don't want to see him twice a year."

Leave a comment:

Working...
X

Debug Information