Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mike Pouncey - Only 4 First Round Guards Since 1999...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Pouncey - Only 4 First Round Guards Since 1999...

Why is everyone so convinced hes going to be a first round pick. Great Player but was he really that dominant to warrant such consideration? I think this is just media hype attached to his brother's name and success. Any other thoughts?
    Originally posted by Menardo75
    I think I might want to punch you.

I think he will be a good guard but I don't think he will be a first round pick. That isn't a knock on Pouncey, just a bad set of circumstances. He is not and never was a center, so last year he looked worse than he would have if he'd stayed at guard. In addition, there is a ton of talent warranting a 1st this year so even if he is this year's top guard prospect there are too many other near-equally talented prospects at more important positions, including OL.

Comment

Is there any 1st round Centers this year?

I wonder where Wiesnewski and O'Dowd fall.

Comment

I can't get a handle on either of them but I think Wisniewski will go before O'Dowd. Wizzy in the 2nd-3rd, O'Dowd 3rd or 4th?

Comment

agreed, this isnt a knock on pouncey. just more a realization that guards dont go in the first round...is he that specia?
          Originally posted by Menardo75
          I think I might want to punch you.

Comment

Originally posted by JFINK11 View Post
            Why is everyone so convinced hes going to be a first round pick. Great Player but was he really that dominant to warrant such consideration? I think this is just media hype attached to his brother's name and success. Any other thoughts?
            You are absolutely right. A few years ago you had to be an absolute freak to go in the first round as a guard. Pouncey is most definitely benefiting from his last name and the fact that his brother was a first round pick. He's not a first round talent as a guard or as a center.

Comment

He's not an any round talent as a center. He is a OG only IMO. That doesn't make him a bad guard prospect, guards just don't go in the 1st when there are passers, pass rushers, and pass defenders of a similar talent level available.

Comment

Most of the best guards in the league are converted tackles anyway

Comment

I hope the Giants stay away. We could use a Center but I really don't like any for the most part this year.

I like O'Dowd, but his injury history can be scary. Scouts don't seem all that high on O'Dowd though which worries me a little. Perhaps I'm overrating him.

Comment

I don't even have him rated as my #1 OG. I like Ijalana and Watkins more.

This brings forth a really interesting discussion that we had in IRC a few weeks back about the importance of bloodlines in today's NFL. Mike isn't the player Maurkice was, and his position value is much lower because we've seen he can't play C. I have him as a mid 2nd round guy at the moment, but more and more hype is being built around him as a first round guy.
                    Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                    The APS is strong in this one.
                    Originally posted by killxswitch
                    Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

I don't think he's as far away from his brother's talent level as far as blocking ability. He is a great guard and I think his bad year at center did him no favors. I would take him before Ijalana who I am concerned has the same lack of passion and attitude as Tony Ugoh. Watkins is a guy though that I can understand taking before Pouncey. If it wasn't for his age it might not even be close.

Comment

He will be overdrafted regardless of where he plays. It's common with brothers of great players. Bloodlines are highly sought after in the NFL.

Look at Sinorice Moss in the 2nd as an example. I'm sure Casey Matthews will be overdrafted as well. Bobby Carpenter was overdrafted bc of bloodlines.

It's common.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                          He will be overdrafted regardless of where he plays. It's common with brothers of great players. Bloodlines are highly sought after in the NFL.

Look at Sinorice Moss in the 2nd as an example. I'm sure Casey Matthews will be overdrafted as well. Bobby Carpenter was overdrafted bc of bloodlines.

It's common.
                          That was my argument as well, but IRC disagreed with me. Most specifically Deep, that silly bastard.
                          Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                          The APS is strong in this one.
                          Originally posted by killxswitch
                          Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

Were the Andrews brothers another case of bloodlines marring draft boards? I seem to remember both being considered pretty good prospects but I don't remember when either were drafted.

Comment

Pouncey has something going for him that no other interior line prospect does: He's the indentical twin of one of the best rookie centers ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information