Brooks Reed: Workout Warrior?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brooks Reed: Workout Warrior?

Ever since the Senior Bowl and Combine, Brooks Reed has been flying up everyone's draft board, and rightfully so given his outstanding performances at both. What I don't get is people calling Reed an overachiever, gamer, etc. In college, this guy wasn't even considered the premier pass rusher on his own team - Ricky Elmore is currently being projected as a mid-to-late round pick. Reed was never super productive in college - last season he posted 10 TFL and 6.5 sacks to finish school with a total of 17 sacks in 46 games. What do you guys think? Is Reed currently ranked so high because of his production in college, or because he lit up a postseason All-Star game and the Underwear Olympics?

^
    Came on pretty good this year with 7 sacks so there is some production there as well as great workout numbers. Obvious comparisons to Clay Matthews but he's bigger than Clay was coming out and just as fast. Doesnt have Matthews lateral movement but i wouldnt say he's someone that just looks good in shorts.

I expect Reed could get a call as early as the #33 pick to New England and wont be waiting around too long after that to hear his name called.

Comment

I think Brooks Reed is benefitting a lot from Clay Mathews. Most people (including me) didn't think that Clay Mathews would ever be a factor in the NFL. Brooks Reed is very similar to Mathews. However, he has admitted to having little or no insight into what other defenders are supposed to do or different schemes. I don't know how exactly to put it, but he's a guy that I'm afraid to pass on and afraid to spend a pick on.

Originally posted by ElectricEye
      I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon View Post
        I expect Reed could get a call as early as the #33 pick to New England and wont be waiting around too long after that to hear his name called.
        If he can go at #33, why can't he go at #32? The Packers also have a hole at OLB to fill.

Comment

I like the guy and all, but this talk of him going in the first or going at 33 is way too high. He should be a third, at best late second, round pick in my humble opinion.
          2012 Patriots Anti-Draft

1 - Anyone but Shea McClellin, Derek Wolfe, Peter Konz, Kendall Reyes, Harrison Smith, Whitney Mercilus or a RB

2 Anyone but McClellin, Wolfe, Doug Martin or an OT

3 Anyone but Wolfe

Comment

why call him a workout warrior when he dominated Sherrod in drills during practice and Solder in the game? that was football not workouts.
            my shoes hurt

Why Me? The Bob Lamonta Story

Comment

I watched both of them and I like Reed more. He seemed to give his all on almost every play.

Comment

Originally posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
                If he can go at #33, why can't he go at #32? The Packers also have a hole at OLB to fill.
                I dont see the Packers going for an olb that early but i'll take your word for it. I was looking at teams like Chicago, NY Jets and Pittsburgh and didnt see him going there.

Isnt every player somehow targeted to go to the Pats?

Comment

He has a Clay Mathews type motor and is already a more a polished pass-rusher. I would take him in the 1st round tbh.

Comment

Well, his KEI scores were tops among projected 3-4 outside linebackers. That shows extreme explosiveness. Now, he showed up a little shorter and lighter than Woodley, who some viewed as a 4-3 DE only due to his weight (270 lbs?), has the same kind of measurables and combine performance. Clay showed up for training camp at 240 lbs.

Reed has a high motor and an adequate variety of pass-rush moves. He'll probably get drafted around the same time Woodley was drafted (mid-second). Although, some teams might view him as a Woodley clone, and take a chance that he'll become a future pro bowler, perhaps reaching a bit for him. The Cardinals could very well take him with their early 2nd round pick.
                    "He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there." Elway's take on Lambert

Comment

I dont see the Packers going for an olb that early but i'll take your word for it. I was looking at teams like Chicago, NY Jets and Pittsburgh and didnt see him going there.

OLB is the Packers biggest hole, IMO. Eric Walden, Brad Jones, and Frank Zombo are only backup calibre players.

Comment

I don't get it. Non-Packer fans don't think we'll take an OLB early, but they love to mock us DEs and RBs. Doesn't make any sense.

Comment

there's a fine difference between a "workout warrior" and a "beast"
                          - a workout warrior is only good at lifting weights. Their big, cut up, stiff, unathletic, and usually very one dimensional.
                          - a beast is someone who never gives up, someone who trains like a monster, and someone who has the intelligence and work ethic to learn schemes and refine their technique. Clay Matthews is a beast, Vernon Gholston is a workout warrior.
                          GO RAVENS

Comment

Originally posted by GoRavens View Post
                            there's a fine difference between a "workout warrior" and a "beast"
                            - a workout warrior is only good at lifting weights. Their big, cut up, stiff, unathletic, and usually very one dimensional.
                            - a beast is someone who never gives up, someone who trains like a monster, and someone who has the intelligence and work ethic to learn schemes and refine their technique. Clay Matthews is a beast, Vernon Gholston is a workout warrior.
                            ^

Agrees with the Ratbird.
                            "He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there." Elway's take on Lambert

Comment

As has been mentioned, OLB is our most glaring need (which still isn't all that glaring but heh.)

Matthews didn't put up amazing stats in college and it scared people.. now Brook Reeds looks like a similar type of player and people are jumping on him. I think it really depends where he lands. Matthews landed with a premiere defensive coordinator and an amazing position coach in Kevin Greene (ask any Packers fan about the job he's done with that LBer group and you'll find lots of man-love.) They really worked with him and improved him as a football player.. but then again, he came in with a fire to learn and be great.

Does Reed have that same fire? Will he land in as perfect a spot? I'm hoping he does and lands in Green Bay.

When being a fanboi goes too far.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information