Locker vs. Gabbert

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Halsey View Post
    Gotta love the post talking about games vs top competition, but not including Missouri vs #1 Oklahoma. Way to break it down...
    Or Texas A&M.

Comment

• Gabbert's pro day wasn't even that good. Personally, he's grouped in the same category as Locker, except he's got better size and arguably better intangibles. I can't believe scouts, and respected pundits like Mayock, are actually praising this guy for the top overall selection.

Comment

• NFLN had Jon Jansen (former Redskins OT) on and were asking him about who he'd prefer between Newton and Gabbert. And he said Gabbert because he doesn't "like a guy who will just take off and run - as an offensive lineman you like a guy who will be cool in the pocket and you can know where he is."

That made me laugh.

Comment

• Originally posted by 619 View Post
          Gabbert's pro day wasn't even that good. Personally, he's grouped in the same category as Locker, except he's got better size and arguably better intangibles. I can't believe scouts, and respected pundits like Mayock, are actually praising this guy for the top overall selection.
          Agreed. On the last page I noted that he struggled throwing over the middle, which is consistent with what you see on the field. His NFL WRs are going to get drilled and struggle getting YAC, or they're going to end up in the hospital with the way Gabbert tends to sail his balls over the middle.

Comment

• Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
            NFLN had Jon Jansen (former Redskins OT) on and were asking him about who he'd prefer between Newton and Gabbert. And he said Gabbert because he doesn't "like a guy who will just take off and run - as an offensive lineman you like a guy who will be cool in the pocket and you can know where he is."

That made me laugh.
            hahaha i was watching that and thought of this thread when he said that, i looked over at my brother and was like thats bs gabbert takes off at the first sign of football being played.
            Originally posted by Thumper/JBCX/Bixby
            Orton will never be in the same class as the Drew Brees or the Peyton Mannings or the Tom Bradys of the world. Kevin Kolb has the potential to be that kind of player.

Comment

NFLN had Jon Jansen (former Redskins OT) on and were asking him about who he'd prefer between Newton and Gabbert. And he said Gabbert because he doesn't "like a guy who will just take off and run - as an offensive lineman you like a guy who will be cool in the pocket and you can know where he is."

That made me laugh.
              His opinion doesn't matter. You want the best football player, period. And that's Cam Newton here.

I have faith that the league scouts won't **** up this evaluation. This would almost be as bad as when Chad Pennington was the top QB selected in his draft year, except he was nowhere near the top selection.

Comment

• Originally posted by hockey619 View Post
                hahaha i was watching that and thought of this thread when he said that, i looked over at my brother and was like thats bs gabbert takes off at the first sign of football being played.
                It honestly makes me wonder if anybody on TV has even watched a single ******* game that he's played in. I've only seen two (one from 2009 and the Illinois game this past season) and saw a chicken running around with its head cut off for four quarters.

Comment

So are you on the gabbert bandwagon? because so far youve come in and dropped a bunch of comments without offering any personal evaluation of gabbert or saying you think he'll be good or fail miserably.
                  I think he's a talented QB prospect who has a lot of the qualities needed to be an effective starting QB in today's NFL. I don't view him as 'can't miss' or anything, but NFL teams can't wait to find a can't miss QB. Other than Andrew Luck, I don't see any QB in this Draft or college that strike me a significantly better prospect than Gabbert. Assuming he stays healthy, I believe he'll be a good starting QB.

Comment

It honestly makes me wonder if anybody on TV has even watched a single ******* game that he's played in. I've only seen two (one from 2009 and the Illinois game this past season) and saw a chicken running around with its head cut off for four quarters.
                    Haha, that's a great analogy! That's really what it seemed like during most of the game action that I saw the last two years. I don't know what Jon Jansen is talking about, because this guy isn't the 'cool, calm and collected' type of QB when in the pocket; he panics a lot of the time when pressure is applied. In fact, as noted in this thread before, his better throws are made outside of the pocket.

Comment

im rather convinced they havent seen much. Hes got some tools to work with, but you cant teach a guy to have balls.

ive asked people for what games they thought he looked like a legit qb in and havent really gotten an anwser. i wonder if im just seeing the wrong games, because theirs just no way that me and mayock are watching the same games, hes seeing what im seeing, and hes still endorsing Gabbert. as noted in many places im also surprised by the lack of stanzi love, hes slowly becoming my favorite qb in this class, the more i see the more i like him.

Originally posted by Halsey View Post
                      I think he's a talented QB prospect who has a lot of the qualities needed to be an effective starting QB in today's NFL. I don't view him as 'can't miss' or anything, but NFL teams can't wait to find a can't miss QB. Other than Andrew Luck, I don't see any QB in this Draft or college that strike me a significantly better prospect than Gabbert. Assuming he stays healthy, I believe he'll be a good starting QB.
                      fair enough, was just curious cause you kept defending taking a qb but didnt necessarily say you thought hed work out or should be the pick. i disagree (obviously) but to each his own i guess, i just dont see it with the guy.
                      Orton will never be in the same class as the Drew Brees or the Peyton Mannings or the Tom Bradys of the world. Kevin Kolb has the potential to be that kind of player.

Comment

So you're taking two games that a QB played in before he even turned 21 and concluding he'll never be a quality starter in the NFL?

Comment

So you're taking two games that a QB played in before he even turned 21 and concluding he'll never be a quality starter in the NFL?
                          Yup. And it's not like I just went looking for bad film on him. Judging by box scores, the Illinois game was his second best game of the year. These aren't mechanical issues or anything that can really be improved upon with practice or repetition. He has happy feet, is afraid to get hit, and is prone to panic. He takes off running (and not up the field mind you - he starts running around in and out of the pocket behind the LOS) when his first read isn't open, whether he has pressure or not. I really don't give a damn how well Tom Condon prepares him for the path to the draft, I really don't see how he'll overcome those issues once he actually has NFL linemen breathing down his neck instead of Big-12 Ghost Rushers.

Brent made an Alex Smith comparison a few pages back, and I think that's spot on (with better physical tools, obviously). He's smart, (reportedly) has a good football IQ, says all the right things, looks the part, etc. etc. If you're afraid of getting hit, though, none of that **** really matters.
                          Last edited by yourfavestoner; 03-18-2011, 11:50 AM.

Comment

What games should we be basing it on then? Which games have people seen where he looked so good they thought "this guy can be a real player at the next level" ?

Comment

• Originally posted by no bare feet View Post
                              ..because what you do in college is the sole indicator of how your game will project in the NFL. What a long waste of words from that guy.
                              The late pick against Iowa was one of the worst throws i've ever seen. Amazing how much hype he has gotten after such a ****** throw. On a big stage he totally blew it.
                              Sam Bradford will be a bust- 2/24/2010

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes

Comment

im rather convinced they havent seen much. Hes got some tools to work with, but you cant teach a guy to have balls.

ive asked people for what games they thought he looked like a legit qb in and havent really gotten an anwser. i wonder if im just seeing the wrong games, because theirs just no way that me and mayock are watching the same games, hes seeing what im seeing, and hes still endorsing Gabbert. as noted in many places im also surprised by the lack of stanzi love, hes slowly becoming my favorite qb in this class, the more i see the more i like him.

fair enough, was just curious cause you kept defending taking a qb but didnt necessarily say you thought hed work out or should be the pick. i disagree (obviously) but to each his own i guess, i just dont see it with the guy.
                                I'd say the games Gabbert looked the best were the Oklahoma, Texas A&M, and Iowa games. He threw lots of shorter stuff early in the season, but as the competition got better, he threw more intermediate passes and often much smaller windows to hit. I want to say he looked very good in the K-State too, but my memory of that game is vague.

His worst game was against Texas Tech. He looked awful. Many of the comments I see about Gabbert make me roll my eyes, but if he played every game like he did against Tech, all the negative hyperbole would be true.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information