Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justin Houston - 4-3 DE?

Hey peeps,

Just wondering what the lot of you think about Justin Houston as a DE in a 4-3 system. I'm a Buc fan and we desperately need to generate pressure off the edge. I don't like any of the DE talent outside of Bowers and Quinn, who obviously won't be available at 20.

Kerrigan might be a good player in the NFL but I don't think he makes it past the Patriot at 17 unless they start trading down, which isn't a stretch. I don't trust Aldon Smith as a prospect after the utter bust that Gaines Adams turned out to be.

So... back to the topic at hand here. Watching film on him the past couple days, it looks like Houston has great explosion off the ball and good upper body strength. Good speed and good body bulk/frame. What say you NFLDC?

I think he will be a better DE then a OLB.

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.

Comment

I like him as a 3-4 DE although his coverage is just ok.

Comment

Originally posted by BaLLiN View Post
        I like him as a 3-4 DE although his coverage is just ok.
        dont you mean a 4-3?

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.

Comment

Houston is a 3-4 OLB all the way. He' stood up most of his career at UGA and when he has had his hand down in the ground, it's been for pass rushing purposes.

Comment

it doesn't sound like every 3-4 team will like him to play linebacker in their system. I think any 4-3 team would love to have him though....his ten yard split in his combine 40 dwarfed everyone else's, even Von Miller, his explosion numbers are gonna get a lot of teams wet over drafting him as a potential elite pass rusher.

Comment

I don't think anyone really knows for sure if he'll be good at either or both. The debate is actually getting pretty old. It's hard to project the success of prospects whose position is clear, much less one whose is not. Even the team that drafts him won't know for a while.

Comment

IMO Houston is one of the safest defensive picks in this draft, at 34 OLB.

I expect him to have similar early success in his career much like Orakpo and CMIII.

If he doesn't start as a rookie and have at least 10 sacks, personally I'd be a little surprised.

Comment

I believe 4-3 End. 6'3 270, great explosion, has a knack for getting to the qb. Plus I don't think he has much exp in pass coverage.

Sick Sig by the BONEKRUSHER

Originally posted by Raheem Morris
                  Stats are for losers, so you keep looking at stats and we'll keep looking at wins.

Comment

I think he will get drafted by a 4-3 team to play DE and I expect him to end up at around 285lbs.
                    And proud of it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
                      I think he will get drafted by a 4-3 team to play DE and I expect him to end up at around 285lbs.
                      Why?

I think 270 is a perfect weight for Houston as a 4-3 RDE. He's already added about 15 pounds from his playing weight at Georgia. His biggest assets are his speed and explosiveness, so I'd hate to see him continue to add more weight.

Comment

His break off the snap, with his hand in the ground, is ridiculous. I could see him excelling at either spot but like it's been said here I don't know if his coverage ability is going to hold up while playing OLB -- especially in some 3-4 schemes
                        I'm doing a real job now...well, semi-real.

Check out my twitter @mrocchio42 and check out my radio show on wqqx1490am.com. I'm on every morning with Pro Football HoF voter and NFL regular season awards voter, Howard Balzer. It's always a blast from 9-11.

Comment

Originally posted by RJS113 View Post
                          Why?

I think 270 is a perfect weight for Houston as a 4-3 RDE. He's already added about 15 pounds from his playing weight at Georgia. His biggest assets are his speed and explosiveness, so I'd hate to see him continue to add more weight.
                          Agreed, he did not look like 270 when playing at Georgia. I think he took a chance bulking up to 270 with an eye on attracting 4-3 teams. I Think that most 3/4 teams will probably like him more closer to 260

Comment

Originally posted by patman View Post
                            Agreed, he did not look like 270 when playing at Georgia. I think he took a chance bulking up to 270 with an eye on attracting 4-3 teams. I Think that most 3/4 teams will probably like him more closer to 260
                            Yeah 285 is way too high.... wth Canada? Maybe that's a mixup translation between the metric system and our old-fashioned measuring system here in the States?

Last year, most people expected Jerry Hughes from TCU to go to a 3-4 team as an OLB rush monster, but the Colts took him to groom to be the next Freeney or Mathis as their 4-3 DE. Houston might be on a similar path despite many mocks having 3-4 teams taking him as an OLB, just like last year with the TCU guy going to Green Bay.

As far as I know, Hughes didn't have much of an impact in Indy with his hand on the ground, and I still think he would have been a beast as a 3-4 OLB.

Comment

270-260, I like him going to the Bucs BECAUSE of his versatility with him playing mostly RDE-but also being moved around as a blitz LB on passing downs.

As far as pure RDEs are concerned that could be there when the Bucs draft at #20... I have Houston as my #3 guy, behind Kerrigan and Aldon Smith.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information