NFLPA Tells Prospects To Boycott Draft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFLPA Tells Prospects To Boycott Draft

The NFL Players Association is putting into place a plan that would prevent each top college prospect from attending next month's draft in New York, according to multiple league sources. The NFLPA already has contacted 17 top prospects that ordinarily would have received an invitation to attend the draft and informed them not to go.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2...ory?id=6216135

This would definitely alter how the draft has previously been viewed since there may not be post-draft interviews and you won't get to watch the player stroll up to the podium during the first round.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
    WHO DAT!

"Please come to our draft, but not our team facilities."
    **** her in da *****!

Comment

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for these players. I hope they go and enjoy it.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

I thought the NFLPA doesn't exist at the moment. How can they be making demands if they aren't even a union?

Comment

Originally posted by 4U2NV View Post
          I thought the NFLPA doesn't exist at the moment. How can they be making demands if they aren't even a union?
          Great point.

Comment

That is a great point but I think they still "exist", just not officially.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

The NFLPA is a joke for doing this. Let the kids go and enjoy their moment in the sun. Oh no, the NFL will get good ratings! Wait...that would happen anyway

Comment

I don't think this kind of action will help the players' case in the court. Making schemes like that as if they were still a union. More ammo for the NFL to use the word "scam".

Comment

Honestly don't care. If this results in NFLN's coverage of the draft featuring less of Deion asking a guy "How do you feel now that you've been drafted?" and more of "Mayock breaking down tape"... this could be a very good thing.

Mostly this just means that the Networks covering the draft have to work harder in the next month and a half, but honestly? What else are the folks at NFLN going to do?

Comment

It honestly comes off as childish. Not showing up for the draft is petty and does nothing for them in the long run. If the kids (lead by Von Miller) decided to do this on their own as a show of solidarity, then that is another thing. But handing down some draconian order from an ex-union that was just fine with reducing their upcoming rookie contracts by a ton of $$$ doesn't help them at all

Comment

It's also worth noting that the NFLPA* really has no power whatsoever to compel prospects to boycott the draft. The NFLPA* doesn't represent these people.

Some will probably not show up, but others might. Can you imagine how much attention a prospective gloryseeking high pick would get from the media if he's one of 2-3 guys who actually showed up? If you like hearing your own name, I imagine that would be pretty appealing.

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                        I don't think this kind of action will help the players' case in the court. Making schemes like that as if they were still a union. More ammo for the NFL to use the word "scam".
                        The NFL can use the word "scam" all they want. The players decertified in 1989 and didn't recertify until 1993. The owners called it a sham back then and challenged it in court. They lost.

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                          The NFL can use the word "scam" all they want. The players decertified in 1989 and didn't recertify until 1993. The owners called it a sham back then and challenged it in court. They lost.
                          My understanding is that the Collective Bargaining Agreement which they were operating under when they opted to decertify explicitly allowed them to do so

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
                            This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for these players. I hope they go and enjoy it.
                            Originally posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
                            The NFLPA is a joke for doing this. Let the kids go and enjoy their moment in the sun. Oh no, the NFL will get good ratings! Wait...that would happen anyway
                            I totally agree. Shame on them for even asking these kids to do so. It would have zero impact and would only serve to ruin what should be a thrilling time in a young man's life.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingElvis View Post
                              I totally agree. Shame on them for even asking these kids to do so. It would have zero impact and would only serve to ruin what should be a thrilling time in a young man's life.
                              Exactly this. As a viewer, I actually don't like watching the painfully awkward interviews and whatnot, but let these kids go and enjoy themselves if they want. The NFLPA is putting them in an uncomfortable position in that if they go, they may not be as well received by their eventual teammates, but if they skip it, they miss a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. It's sad they would stoop to this really.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information