• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blaine Sumner - 635 lb. Bench, 1000 lb. Squat

what do some of you 3-4 team fans think of this guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=_CObtOq1MRA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=2D38T-0I24s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6m2C...layer_embedded

he seems to have the perfect build and base leg strength to be succeed at the pro level.

Thoughts?

Need to have some SERIOUS coaching, but he looks like a team could try to grab him up in the UDFA's. Its pretty funny, i didn't think i read it right at first, but my friend plays at Colorado Mines. I didnt think there was anyone serious even close to there, but its interesting, i'll have to ask him about this guy.

Comment

Some team like the Chiefs or Chargers will take a chance on him. Its funny, teams with a long standing history and success using a 3-4 tend to want to find more athletic NTs that have the ability to move all over the line and come in on 3rd and 4th downs. Guys like Casey Hampton and BJ Raji may be finding themselves on less team's radars. Players like Ngata might be more appealing.

I'm not trying to downplay the need for a 2-down NT, simply that with the evolution of the game, perhaps we'll be seeing more Ngata-clones being groomed and drafted...and less 340+ pound tackles being taken in the first round.
      "He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there." Elway's take on Lambert

Comment

Originally posted by ellsy82 View Post
        Some team like the Chiefs or Chargers will take a chance on him. Its funny, teams with a long standing history and success using a 3-4 tend to want to find more athletic NTs that have the ability to move all over the line and come in on 3rd and 4th downs. Guys like Casey Hampton and BJ Raji may be finding themselves on less team's radars. Players like Ngata might be more appealing.

I'm not trying to downplay the need for a 2-down NT, simply that with the evolution of the game, perhaps we'll be seeing more Ngata-clones being groomed and drafted...and less 340+ pound tackles being taken in the first round.
        1. Of course players like Ngata are more appealing. He's the best 3-4 lineman in football.

2. But there aren't players like Ngata. You're not going to see Ngata-clones being drafted, because there aren't Ngata-clones. He's a special player and players like him simply don't come around often. That's like saying will be seeing more Brady-clones drafted.

3. Ngata is 350lbs

4. BJ Raji played 85% of defensive snaps last year

5. Unless the NFL turns into 7 on 7, guys like Raji and Hampton will be on every teams' radar. 3-4 and 4-3.

Comment

Raji is very mobile for a guy his size (1.69 10-yard, 4.69 short shuttle, 7.90 3-cone). That's why he was a top 10 pick, he didn't go so high just because he was big and strong. Big men who are quick and strong will always be in demand. Big guys who are strong, but slow go in the second round or later (e.g. Ron Brace, Terrence Cody).

Originally posted by GB12 View Post
          4. BJ Raji played 85% of defensive snaps last year.
          The Packers also played over 75% of their defensive snaps with two or fewer defensive linemen. Raji played a lot in nickel. So trying to cast him as a 2-down run-stuffer is just incorrect.

As for Sumner, I never saw him play (hard to find CSM games on TV, though you have to love their nickname: Go Orediggers!). The things I worry about when scouting NTs are initial explosion (the really big one), instincts, and stamina. A lot of those things you can't pick up from watching highlight film. I know the Packers (as well as the Bills and Broncos) were at the CSM pro-day, but they could be looking at DE/OLB Marc Schiechl as much as Sumner. I'd like to read more about the workout if I could find it.
          Last edited by PossibleCabbage; 03-15-2011, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Sorry guys. I was just spitballing. To be honest, have any of us seen Summers play? He's a helluva UDFA sleeper prospect, but when it comes down to it none of us have seen him actually take a snap except for on those youtube videos (unless you actually go to that school).

Like I said, I didn't want to start a big debate here, but won't teams try to develop more Ngata clones due to the increased demand for them at the pro level? I realize he's a once in a lifetime player, going to pretty much every pro bowl he's had the chance to go to in this league, but I can see more UTs being groomed for a similar role.
            "He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there." Elway's take on Lambert

Comment

You had me at "Vanilla Gorilla."
              My sig pic has now come full circle. Lucky me.

No offense, but your Raiders draft sucks.

Comment

I want him for his nickname.

Comment

1.71 10 Yard split..
                  Holy.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yc66...eature=related

Comment

I guess I can't really tell from a Youtube video, especially one that I skipped plays at a time, but he didn't seem to have much explosion off the line. Strong and active, but not very explosive. Also....I guess I don't really pay attention to long snapping - but is it actually impressive to drill a guy while he's in mid air? Is that even allowed? I seriously have no idea.

Also, I'd like to hear Packers fans talk about their players some more. It's always so interesting. Hasn't Howard Green played nose tackle? Ryan Pickett? Tell everyone how great they are!

Comment

There is now way that guy is not juicing, he looks like the most obvious steroid user.

Comment

LOL @ "drug free"

Comment

Tackling the jumper is most definitely holding.

Originally posted by Don Vito View Post
                          There is now way that guy is not juicing, he looks like the most obvious steroid user.
                          He's passing tests, which is all that really matters.
                          **** her in da *****!

Comment

If I am a team with multiple picks in the 6th or 7th I take a this guy. He is my favorite player ever. Wow. Vanilla Gorilla
                            Originally posted by njx9
                            i mean, why wouldn't the broncos take cam newton? they can play him at quarterback WITH tebow!

Comment

He looks beastly v. the Nevada School of Mimes
                              Originally posted by njx9
                              i mean, why wouldn't the broncos take cam newton? they can play him at quarterback WITH tebow!

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information