Best 3rd Round ILB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best 3rd Round ILB

I'm going to say Martez Wilson and Quan Sturdivant will both be gone in Rds1 and 2. So who is the best ILB besides those two.

Greg Jones - Mich St - 6'0 242 - 4.75 40 - 21 BP
    Colin McCarthy - Miami - 6'1 238 - 4.59 40 - 23 BP
    Kelvin Sheppard - LSU - 6'2 250 - 4.64 40 - 22 BP
    Nate Irving - N.C. St - 6'1 240 - 4.68 40 - ?? BP

So if you were going to draft an ILB in the 3rd round, who would you take and why?

1. Sheppard
    2. Irving
    3. Jones
    4. McCarthy

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.

Comment

My personal preference would go Greg Jones, Nate Irving, Kelvin Sheppard, and finally Colin McCarthy dragging up the rear in the 5th Round.
      Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
      Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
      Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

Irving (no homer... not much anyways)
        Jones
        Sheppard
        McCarthy
        **** her in da *****!

Comment

Irving is the class of that round as far as MLB's go and probably one of the real prizes of the third.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Nate Irving = Stud

Comment

Depends what I need:

If I'm running a 3-4, I'll take Kelvin Sheppard. He's got ideal size/speed/strength/skillset for that formation.

If I'm running the 4-3 and need a pure MLB, I'd probably go with Greg Jones. Being a Big Ten fan, I already knew he wasn't near the athlete everyone was dubbing him to be but he's still got the production, experience, instincts and intelligence that I want from my MLB.

If I'm running a 4-3 and currently have a tweener MLB/WLB on my team and need another versatile guy then I'd look at McCarthy and Irving but I'd lean McCarthy due to Irving's injury history.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

This is an interesting question. I like all 4 guys, and have some different opinions than the others who have posted here.

I'd probably rate them: Sheppard, McCarthy, Irving, Jones. But they are all pretty close.

I think Sheppard is the most capable of playing 4-3 MLB. I think he has the leadership ability and best best ability to take on blocks and be a force in the run game. I think he can also play inside in the 3-4 and SLB in 4-3.

I really like McCarthy. I think he is the most versatile of the bunch. I don't see him as a MLB right away (maybe ever), but he can play inside in 3-4, and both OLB spots in 4-3. Worst case scenario, he's going to be a beast on special teams and a solid nickel LB right away.

Irving is a really good football player. I think he's more of a WLB, but anywhere you put him, he's going to play well. Seems like a guy like London Fletcher that will always be undervalued, but will come to play every week.

Jones, to me, has the best tape of the 3. He made a lot of plays at Michigan St. But he looks more like a WILL LB than Irving. He just doesn't seem strong enough to me to take on a lot of blockers and is better turning and running after the ball. He could play in the middle for a Cover 2 team that is strong upfront, I guess though.

Comment

ILB in a 3-4 give me Mark Herzlich.

Comment

Nate Irving will be a steal in the later rounds of this draft... IMO

Comment

depents on the scheme but in general

1 Jones
                      2 Irving
                      3 Sheppard
                      78 McCarthey

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
                      - No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
                      - Corner or Wideout in the first
                      - No reaching
                      - No Kelvin Benjamin

Comment

I would draft Josh Bynes in the 5th-7th range before Kelvin Sheppard in the 3rd (which would be my first choice out of that 4 players bunch)

Twitter @mario_clp

Comment

This really depends on scheme

but Quan in rd 1-2 ? I doubt see it IMO
                          Patriots Draft 2015
                          1. CB - Marcus Peters
                          2. WR - Sammie Coates
                          3. RB - David Johnson
                          3. DT - Angelo Blackson
                          4. OG - Tre Jackson
                          4. DE - Za'Darius Smith
                          5. LB - Ben Heeney
                          6. TE - Wes Saxton
                          7. OG - Jose Matais

Comment

Either one of the two main UNC LBs....that said of the 4 there I'll go with Sheppard for "my" 3-4.

Comment

Kelvin/Irving/McCarthy/Jones
                              Kelvin has the best instincts in this draft and is one of the best leaders as well. Great NFL size, excellent tackling technique, and decent speed.
                              Irving is a worker, and while he won't stand out physically, he is a leader and can make all the tackles out there.
                              McCarthy is the most physical prospect of them all, but his tape is pretty lackkuster, but he still has pretty nice upside.
                              Jones has great tape but has absolutely bombed this offseason.
                              I could see Jones dropping past the 3rd.

Josh Bynes is pretty bad. I don't think he even cracks an NFL roster.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information