Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the Carolina Panthers Screw Up the #1 Pick?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will the Carolina Panthers Screw Up the #1 Pick?

Over their past few drafts, Carolina has done an awful job at scouting talent and managing their picks. For example, they traded a future 1st rounder for Everette Brown, who they took in the 2nd round in 2009. He was no where near worth that price when 2010 was full of talent.

Or last year when they were trying to move up, what 16 spots in round 2 to draft Jimmy Clausen? Or trading this years 2nd round pick to draft Armanti Edwards at the end of round 3?

Not only that, but the players they've drafted recently haven't really panned out. Sure they might have gotten a steal in Greg Hardy last year, but thats it.

Honestly, I can see them really screwing up with this year's 1st overall pick. I have seen many Mock drafts with Bowers, Darius, Fairly, AJ Green, Gabbert and Cam Newton all going their at 1 and even Peterson most recently.

They are doing their HW deeply on Cam Newton and something tells me he will be the pick. I honestly don't think management in Carolina has a clue what they are doing over the past few years.

Anyone agree?

Come back to me in 3 years...then I'll tell you if they screwed the #1 pick up...

Comment

Originally posted by bucfan12 View Post
      Over their past few drafts, Carolina has done an awful job at scouting talent and managing their picks. For example, they traded a future 1st rounder for Everette Brown, who they took in the 2nd round in 2009. He was no where near worth that price when 2010 was full of talent.

Or last year when they were trying to move up, what 16 spots in round 2 to draft Jimmy Clausen? Or trading this years 2nd round pick to draft Armanti Edwards at the end of round 3?

Not only that, but the players they've drafted recently haven't really panned out. Sure they might have gotten a steal in Greg Hardy last year, but thats it.

Honestly, I can see them really screwing up with this year's 1st overall pick. I have seen many Mock drafts with Bowers, Darius, Fairly, AJ Green, Gabbert and Cam Newton all going their at 1 and even Peterson most recently.

They are doing their HW deeply on Cam Newton and something tells me he will be the pick. I honestly don't think management in Carolina has a clue what they are doing over the past few years.

Anyone agree?
      Sounds like you're already predicting they'll screw it up no matter who they pick, who do you think they should take?

Comment

If they go Newton or Gabbert, I don't think it will work out for them. Peterson is obviously the top player in the draft and should be the pick. I'd put the odds of them actually drafting him at 25%. The odds of their draft pick busting i'd put at 10%.

Originally posted by SolidGold
        Bortlezzzzzzz
        Originally posted by Monomach
        Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon View Post
          Sounds like you're already predicting they'll screw it up no matter who they pick, who do you think they should take?
          In my opinion, either Peterson or AJ Green. Carolina has absolutely no Weapons on offense and AJ Green can help out a veteran QB (McNabb?) who I think the Panthers should go after.

Gabbert wouldn't be a horrible choice either, but I think if they go QB, they are going to buy into the Cam Newton hype.

Comment

They drafted Clausen in the 2nd round last year, and this QB class does not look good at all. Maybe they should keep Clausen and Moore for one more season and improve the other areas of the team. But I saw the Panthers making it clear that QB is their #1 need, and new regimes mean new QBs.

Comment

Chances they screw up the #1 pick? 0% apparently. ;)

Comment

They should just draft Patrick Peterson. Defensive player for Ron Rivera & arguably the best draft prospect this year. Reaching for Cam or Blaine at number one screams desperation to me.

Don't really need AJ Green. They like Gettis and LaFell.
                Just play me, baby

Comment

Why is it that people were Defending Clausen when all the Luck Talk was happening but no one cares about him now when it's Gabbert or Newton? People were like give Clausen a chance but now it's he sucks and needs to go.

Comment

Signing McNabb would be another huge mistake for Carolina. What's he going to do for them? Make them suck a little less for a year or two?

Comment

They should just stick with Clausen for another year. What's the worst that could happen?

He improves, and shows he can be the franchise QB.

He sucks, they're in position to draft a Landry Jones or Matt Barkley. Hell, maybe they'd be in a position to get Luck again.
                      Just play me, baby

Comment

What are people missing about Clausen? Who actually thinks he's going to be a franchise QB? I liked him last year, but I've learned since then. NFL teams obviously didn't like him enough to take him before pick 48. He looked terrible when he played and he doesn't come across as having the mental tools of a franchise QB. Carolina will just be taking a risk on another QB next year if they stick with Clausen. At least Clausen will be helping them compete for a shot to pick #1 and take Luck.

Comment

they should trade down and draft an offensive line for jimmy klausen

Comment

How are we evaluating "screw up"... if they get a player who's a decent starter, but they didn't get a star or the best player in the draft, would you say they screwed up?

Comment

Originally posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
                              How are we evaluating "screw up"... if they get a player who's a decent starter, but they didn't get a star or the best player in the draft, would you say they screwed up?
                              In the past few years, the franchise has been absolutely terrible at managing their picks, scouting talent and making stupid selections that don't/haven't really panned out (ex. trading a future 1st for Everette Brown to take him in the 2nd round of 2009 draft). That's just one example.

When you have the number 1 pick, you're supposed to find an elite player. Not just an average or solid starter. Is Patrick Peterson an elite type of prospect? Yes. But at what position? Many seem to think he's better off to play FS where he can roam the field. But FS's don't go number 1. Neither do CBs. Is he a Revis/Asomugah type player? None of them went #1 overall or even top 5 and they are the top 2 CBs in the league.

Honestly, taking a QB is a reach at 1, so why not give Clausen 1 more chance. And in return, get him a weapon in AJ Green. However, I think they will buy into this Cam Newton hype, as many scouts and analysts think they are deeply doing their homework on him and seems to love his upside.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information