Update on the New Mock

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on the New Mock

For those who have asked, I am working on a new mock as we speak. The first half of round one is finished and I am writing the analysis for picks picks seventeen through thirty-two.

The plan is to release Round 1 on Monday and Round 2 on Tuesday.
    Scott Wright, President
    Draft Countdown.com
    www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
    www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

awesome cant wait to see it and read the analysis

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!

Comment

Awesome I'll be looking forward to it as well.The site brings me good news each mooring after hearing all the BS crap the NFL PA are being all bitchy and crap.

Comment

How about some god damn scouting reports? I don't think I've seen more than one or two per position done on this site in about three years now.

Honestly, who the hell cares about mock drafts? The only point of it is to try to match value and need and they end up being inaccurate anyways. Not only that, but you always say "this isn't a reflection of my rankings, but who I think teams will select."

Jesus, this site would be an internet ghost town if it wasn't for the forum traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
          How about some god damn scouting reports? I don't think I've seen more than one or two per position done on this site in about three years now.

Honestly, who the hell cares about mock drafts? The only point of it is to try to match value and need and they end up being inaccurate anyways. Not only that, but you always say "this isn't a reflection of my rankings, but who I think teams will select."

Jesus, this site would be an internet ghost town if it wasn't for the forum traffic.
          After I finish the mock I'm going to update the rankings, then spend the next three to four weeks knocking out scouting reports. In all I plan to have 150+ scouting reports on the site.
          Scott Wright, President
          Draft Countdown.com
          www.draftcountdown.com

Comment

Honestly, I will probably be discontinuing the scouting reports after this year. I've been considering dropping them for a couple of years now because the time commitment just doesn't make them worthwhile. I think those hundreds upon hundreds of hours would be put to better use producing daily blog entries, more frequent mock updates, articles and other features.
            Scott Wright, President
            Draft Countdown.com
            www.draftcountdown.com

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Wright View Post
              Honestly, I will probably be discontinuing the scouting reports after this year. I've been considering dropping them for a couple of years now because the time commitment just doesn't make them worthwhile. I think those hundreds upon hundreds of hours would be put to better use producing daily blog entries, more frequent mock updates, articles and other features.
              Boom.

I respect your honesty... any chance you can invest in a cough button for Shane on the podcast?

Comment

Honestly, I will probably be discontinuing the scouting reports after this year. I've been considering dropping them for a couple of years now because the time commitment just doesn't make them worthwhile. I think those hours would be put to better use producing daily blog entries, more frequent mock updates, articles and other features.
                I thought that the scouting reports were the best part of the main site when you were actually doing them. Without those the only reason I'm here is for the forums.

EDIT: And thanks for deleting my last comment. I didn't think there was anything wrong with it since it's true.

Comment

Yeah. I understand why you'd drop them, but that was one of the key attractions to the site aside from the community. Without the scouting reports, the site kind of turns into any other random amateur draft site/blog. But I'll still be here.

Comment

Originally posted by GB12 View Post
                    I thought that the scouting reports were the best part of the main site when you were actually doing them. Without those the only reason I'm here is for the forums.
                    I realize the hard-core draftniks are going to miss the scouting reports, but Iím really damned if I do and damned if I donít. Those reports take about an hour each to input and format into the site, and that doesnít include watching the 3+ games of each prospect to gather the information. My guess is it comes out to about a four hour time investment per scouting report. Multiply that by just 150 players, which most say isnít enough, and it equates to 75 eight-hour workdays. Divide that by a six day work week and Iím investing more than three months on scouting reports alone. Worse yet, they really donít get much traffic. In fact, even the most popular player pages only get about 100 hits per day. Out of the tens of thousands of people that come to the site. Oh, and did I mention that inputting scouting reports is by far, without question my least favorite part of the job? Itís absolutely tedious, boring work. So you can see why I am leaning towards discontinuing the scouting reports and investing that time elsewhere.

With all that said, I do still plan on creating pages for each prospect with their vital information, stats and also plan to come up with some other features for the pages.
                    Scott Wright, President
                    Draft Countdown.com
                    www.draftcountdown.com

Comment

Maybe some quick and dirty A-F grades for various aspects of the prospects and a "player type" (possession WR, power RB, NT, etc.)?

Comment

Lots of draft sites do blogs, mocks, articles and features. This site's strength and what makes it stand out from others is the scouting reports because very few others do them, or do them very poorly. I don't know why you would give up that edge though I see you don't like the effort/result ratio that you have for your scouting reports.

Nobody needs to do more than four mocks per year in my estimation. 1-2 prior to the combine and 2-3 after the combine is plenty. Doing them more often is based on knee-jerk reactions to recent news rather based on sound reasoning.

Comment

I think "no scouting reports" is preferable to "incomplete scouting reports"... particularly since the people who are most likely to get scouting reports written for them are the people that most everybody has seen play, ESPN has been talking about for the last month, and everybody else on the internet has written a scouting report on. Whereas the guys who I would most want to read a scouting report on (the FCS player I've never heard of that my team took in the sixth round) is the probably the least likely to get a scouting report written for him.

Having daily blog entries, more talk about buzz, more mocks, articles, etc. would be a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by nepg View Post
                            Maybe some quick and dirty A-F grades for various aspects of the prospects and a "player type" (possession WR, power RB, NT, etc.)?
                            I'm open to suggestions and will definitely solicit them this summer when I am making plans for next year. Believe me, I hate to discontinue the scouting reports because I think they are a great feature for the site. However, it's just gotten to the point where they aren't worth the time it takes to produce them and everything else on the site suffers as a result.
                            Scott Wright, President
                            Draft Countdown.com
                            www.draftcountdown.com

Comment

I like this idea, but how about brief scouting reports for your top 50(or so)?

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information