Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Notre Dame WR Michael Floyed Arrested for D.U.I.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notre Dame WR Michael Floyed Arrested for D.U.I.

For those who missed it, Notre Dame WR Michael Floyd was arrested last night on / near campus for driving under the influence. This is at least his second legal incident with alcohol.

I just got off the phone with a source close to the Notre Dame football program and it sounds like Floyd has probably played his last game for the Fighting Irish. It will be interesting to see whether he enters the Supplemental Draft (If There Is One?), transfers down a level for his senior year, etc. Either way Floyd's draft stock is going to be negatively affected.

Here is the full article:

Updated: March 21, 2011
    Irish's Michael Floyd faces DUI charge

Associated Press

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Authorities say Notre Dame star wide receiver Michael Floyd had a blood-alcohol level of more than twice the legal limit for driving when he was pulled over by campus police this past weekend.

Floyd was stopped after he ran a stop sign with the white Cadillac he was driving and was charged with suspicion of drunken driving.

[+] EnlargeFLoyd
    Gary A. Vasquez/US PresswireNotre Dame receiver Michael Floyd was arrested on campus Sunday, three days before the start of spring practice.

St. Joseph County deputy prosecutor Chris Daniels says in a probable cause affidavit filed Monday that Floyd had a blood-alcohol level of 0.19 percent. Indiana's legal limit for driving is 0.08 percent. Daniels also says Floyd failed three field sobriety tests.

Floyd was stopped near the school's main entrance at 3:18 a.m. Sunday and charged with a misdemeanor count of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated. It carries a maximum sentence of a year in jail.

University spokesman Dennis Brown said Notre Dame keeps its arrest records private, like other private universities. He said the school was aware of the charge against Floyd and was confident "local law enforcement agencies will handle it in a prompt, thorough and professional manner."

Notre Dame doesn't disclose any possible internal discipline, Brown said, and the school "takes these matters seriously, follows the facts where they lead, and, when necessary, institutes appropriate sanctions at the appropriate time."

The Associated Press sent an e-mail to Floyd seeking comment. A telephone message also was left with Brian Hardin, Notre Dame's director of football media relations, seeking comment from coach Brian Kelly.

The 21-year-old Floyd was Notre Dame's leading receiver last season. He holds the school record for touchdown catches (28) and ranks second in school history in catches (171) and third in receiving yards (2,539).

Floyd decided to return for his senior season instead of entering the NFL draft, saying he wanted to earn a degree, return Notre Dame to the top of college football and become the nation's top receiver.

This is Floyd's second brush with the law involving alcohol. Floyd received a citation for underage drinking in Minneapolis on Jan. 8, 2010. Floyd and Minnesota's Shady Salamon, who were former Cretin-Derham Hall prep teammates in St. Paul, Minn., were cited after police were called to a fight involving six to 10 people.

A month later, Kelly said the team had decided how it would handle the incident, but said he couldn't say anything further because of privacy laws.

Spring practices start Wednesday. Floyd is scheduled to appear in court on May 2.
    Scott Wright, President
    Draft Countdown.com
    www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
    www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Ouch!!! Talk about a horrible decision. This guy was probably a top 5 WR this year with the chance to be in the Top 3 next season...not anymore.

Comment

What's the highest compensatory pick that a team would be willing to spend on him?
      Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
      RIP themaninblack

Comment

If FLoyd enters the supplemental, will he still work out for scouts??

I bet he's not really in combine shape, not that I believe he would have run an outstanding 40 dash time.

I'll wait to see if he's officially dismissed from the football team and not suspended.

Comment

Happy to hear such terrible news!! Jay will GLADLY be your DD Mike!
          I want a sig.

Comment

Patriots supplemental in the second if the character checks out would be awesome.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

This is wackkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.

I love Michael, still a 2nd or 3rd at least right?
              Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds
              Coples is that dude.
              Go Amare. I Love Tayshaun Prince...

Orioles - Raiders - UNC - Nuggets/Wizards

Comment

What is going on with Mark Barron? Is his case as bad as Floyd's? If there is a Supplemental Draft does anyone take him? I would guess so.

Comment

Should have came out this year IMO...
                  The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

I doubt that there's going to be a Supplemental draft unfortunately. Teams would have to give up picks for the 2012 draft and if the Players Association wins their case and the league gets hit with Anti-Trust violations, we may never again have a draft.

Terrifying thought, I know. But to rule it out would be unbelievably naive. The league has already said that teams who trade 2012 draft picks will be doing so at their own risk: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...heir-own-risk/

Comment

I'm sort of in the "cover my eyes and ears and pretend it's not happening" thing with the lockout. If you just assume the best, it'll turn out alright right? I know...

It is an interesting problem for Floyd. If there isn't a supplemental draft, he should probably transfer down a level in order to keep in shape and such. The real interesting question is if he's free to sign with a team after the CBA stuff gets straightened out.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricEye View Post
                        I'm sort of in the "cover my eyes and ears and pretend it's not happening" thing with the lockout. If you just assume the best, it'll turn out alright right? I know...

It is an interesting problem for Floyd. If there isn't a supplemental draft, he should probably transfer down a level in order to keep in shape and such. The real interesting question is if he's free to sign with a team after the CBA stuff gets straightened out.
                        I do just the opposite. I envision the worst case scenario and brace myself for it...that way, if it does happen, I'm ready. And if not, then I get to feel relieved.

Comment

If Floyd went the Supplemental Draft route (assuming there even is one) he'd go no earlier than Round 3 and maybe as late as Round 5. If he is indeed done at Notre Dame, I'd advise Floyd to transfer down to a Division I-AA or Division II program, dominate for a year and rehab his draft stock. Of course he could always redshirt and try to play at Notre Dame again in 2012, but that's highly unlikely as he has his eyes set on the NFL and would've definitely gone pro this year if he had gotten better feedback from the leagues underclassmen advisory panel.
                          Scott Wright, President
                          Draft Countdown.com
                          www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
                          www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Comment

He and Barron should have come out.

Comment

Floyd was stopped near the school's main entrance at 3:18 a.m. Sunday and charged with a misdemeanor count of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated. It carries a maximum sentence of a year in jail.

So damn close...

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information