Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dalton and Ponder in 1st Round?

Ponder and Dalton seem to be shooting up draft boards very quickly
    During an appearance Wednesday on the "Brock and Salk Show" on 710 AM ESPN Radio, ESPN analyst and former NFL quarterback Trent Dilfer had a contrarian take on TCU product Andy Dalton. In Dilfer's view, he'll be taken in the first round of the draft, and would be a perfect fit for the Seattle Seahawks at No. 25 overall.
    Are these guys following the Josh Freeman and Joe Flacco type draft prospects?

Thanks BoneKrusher
    IN SHAD WE TRUST

This happens every year - 40-50 guys are considered "first rounders" until the draft, and then everyones surprised when only 32 guys fit and that's when we start saying "who would've known ____ wasn't a first-rounder all along!"

Dalton and Ponder won't both go in the 1st, unless Jacksonville really likes one of them over the handful of pass-rushers that'd be looking them in the face and then Seattle takes the other. Other than that, I don't see how they both fit. Maybe Tennessee or San Francisco moves up to 28-32, but we may never have a read on that leading up to the draft.

The fact that Dilfer is pretty much guaranteeing this tells me he's heard something, but I think he's just going with the theory that QBs are valued more than any other position.
    Nick Foles are you really my daddy??!..?

Comment

If Dalton goes earlier than the 3rd round I will be shocked. I really doubt that either of them crack into the 1st round.

Comment

This all depends on whether or not the new CBA gets signed. For Dalton and/or Ponder to go in the first round, a team like Buffalo, Jacksonville, or Cincinnati would have to trade back into the first. That usually takes a future-first round pick (which can't be traded without a new CBA). The other option would be to trade a 2nd, 3rd, and maybe a late round pick. I can't see Jacksonville or Buffalo doing that. Maybe Cincinnati.

Originally posted by SolidGold
        Bortlezzzzzzz
        Originally posted by Monomach
        Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 

Comment

I think it's a stretch for Ponder to go in the first, but it's not impossible. There's no way Dalton goes in the first.

Comment

How are they similar to Flacco or Freeman at all? Freeman was a legit 1st Rounder the whole time and the only thing many were waiting on to grade Flacco as a 1st Rounder (such as I, and I did end up rating him as a 1st Rounder), was seeing him perform in all-star games, and he looked awesome in the Senior Bowl.

Both had elite physical tools with a good head on their shoulders whereas Ponder and Dalton are both average physically and Ponder has injury concerns.

Comment

These guys both fit the prototype of 2nd rounders. High profile in college but fell short of impressing enough to solidify the first. Late risers that sneak into the first (Flacco is an example) typically have higher physical projection

I suppose it is possible but I think it is more likely a team would take the risk on Mallett than reach for either of these two in round 1

Comment

When did people start listening to what Trent Dilfer has to say?

RIP themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Sims 90 View Post
                  When did people start listening to what Trent Dilfer has to say?
                  Seriously. A lot of these guys that follow pro ball even admit they havent seen most of these guys play. Someone sticks a mic in their face and they usually come up with some recycled blather. I'd listen to 90% of the posters in here before i listened to most of these guys. The classic line was from Charley Casserly who said Gabbert was his #1 guy then in the next sentance admitted he really hadnt seen him play yet.

Comment

Ponder and Locker are the two best QBs in this draft class. Dalton may be 3rd. I'd rather "overdraft" one of those 3 than draft Newton or Gabbert - if I could trade down. I wish I didn't worry about Ryan Mallett becoming Ryan Leaf 2.0. If Mallett didn't have major 'issues', he'd be #1.

I don't know what I'd do if I were #1 and needed a QB. I'd probably just shock everyone and take Ponder.
                    **** her in da *****!

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if one of them is, but definitely not both. Freeman was always a later 1st rounder imo.

Comment

Originally posted by descendency View Post
                        Ponder and Locker are the two best QBs in this draft class. Dalton may be 3rd. I'd rather "overdraft" one of those 3 than draft Newton or Gabbert - if I could trade down. I wish I didn't worry about Ryan Mallett becoming Ryan Leaf 2.0. If Mallett didn't have major 'issues', he'd be #1.

I don't know what I'd do if I were #1 and needed a QB. I'd probably just shock everyone and take Ponder.
                        Ponder has a lot of what you look for it's just that he isnt physically as gifted as the top 3. Would it shock me if he was to rise before the draft like Mark Sanchez, absolutely not, but with at least 3 guys ahead of him he wont go that high.

Comment

I know there is talk of Ponder sneaking into the back end of Round 1, but I'd be surprised.

No way on Dalton.
                          Scott Wright, President
                          Draft Countdown.com
                          www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
                          www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Wright View Post
                            I know there is talk of Ponder sneaking into the back end of Round 1, but I'd be surprised.

No way on Dalton.
                            I think a lot has to do with teams ability to trade down from the top 10. Personally i'd rather get Locker and Ponder a little later than the two that appear to be going at the top of the draft.

Comment

The only QB not named Gabbert, Newton, Mallett or Locker that has a chance to sneak into the 1st is on my sig.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information