Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blaine Gabbert Hype

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Blaine Gabbert Hype

    can someone please tell me why teams and scouts like him even at the slightest bit. Every time i watched him play he didn't seem like anything special.

    Sig by BoneKrusher
    Matt Barkley will be the best QB to be selected in the Top 5 since Peyton Manning.

  • #2
    It is all mostly because of his mobility,size and height for most of the BS lame reasons IMO he shouldn't even be a 2nd rounder.The NFL N says he got above average but I don't see it.Why would he have only like 16 TD in a spread offense?Its pretty lame how they rank them.It should really go like this Locker,Mallet,Ponder THEN Newton and Gabbert.If the scouts were dam serious.But they don't all think like what we do and go off body build and arm strength.Not game tape.I also have admit that if is just as worse as Locker for as yardage go or even percentage goes too then why is he a second rounder?THE DUDE is a spread QB.He is NO Bradford and not even close.

    Comment


    • #3
      This been flogged to death, Spartan

      Go back and read the threads.

      Comment


      • #4
        Because Newton is coming out of a one-read or run offense and has possible maturity/character issues, Locker has the well documented accuracy issues and relative inexperience being a true quarterback, Mallett is a moron and alleged drug-lover, Ponder is fragile and somewhat weak-armed, and Kaepernick is still more of an athlete than quarterback at this point.

        In a class where ALL of the top quarterbacks have serious question marks and concerns, Gabbert is the cream rising to the top. His comparative lack of production is less worrisome than everyone else's issues given that he's at least displayed the complete package of prototype size/arm strength as well as good accuracy and toughness.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ericzedwards View Post
          Because Newton is coming out of a one-read or run offense and has possible maturity/character issues, Locker has the well documented accuracy issues and relative inexperience being a true quarterback, Mallett is a moron and alleged drug-lover, Ponder is fragile and somewhat weak-armed, and Kaepernick is still more of an athlete than quarterback at this point.

          In a class where ALL of the top quarterbacks have serious question marks and concerns, Gabbert is the cream rising to the top. His comparative lack of production is less worrisome than everyone else's issues given that he's at least displayed the complete package of prototype size/arm strength as well as good accuracy and toughness.
          Todd McShay said that Blain Gabbert is ran a one read spread offense that's why he has terrible pocket awareness. I on the other hand don't get the hype maybe its just Jimmy Clausen hype.

          Comment


          • #6
            The complaints about his lack of production are overblown. He had better stats in 09, but the team was much worse. Better play isn't always reflected in stats. Gabbert had quite a few games this year where he didn't get many TDs, but the Tigers rushed for four or five plus TDs and won by 30+ points. Missouri also had a top five scoring defense this year, so the offense was intentionally limited in the second half of quite a few games. Gabbert tore Texas A&M up down in College Station. He won the OU game with two TD drives in the 4th quarter while Landry Jones couldn't complete a pass.

            Comment


            • #7
              In case you missed it, I posted my scouting report on Gabbert:


              ***

              Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri
              http://www.draftcountdown.com/Scouti...ne-Gabbert.php

              ***
              Scott Wright, President
              Draft Countdown.com
              www.draftcountdown.com

              Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

              Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
              www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

              Comment


              • #8
                To make it short and simple for everyone, Gabbert is a QB-shell. That's pretty much it. Forget what you see or don't see on tape. His entire upside as a prospect is that he's pretty much a QB-starter kit that has to be coached and molded by whoever drafts him. Guys like Gailey, Marvin Lewis and Whisenhunt are intruiged by that, but obviously moreso with Newton because that's a completey different potential package.

                Forget about what prospects are better than the QBs or where someone has the QBs in their overall rankings, the best QBs are going to go at the top of the draft to the team that needs the potential franchise guys.
                Nick Foles are you really my daddy??!..?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Gabbert has some clear warts - his pocket poise isn't sharp right now, to say the least, and he has to learn a pro system. That said, there is enough to like. He has a proto-typical size, good athleticism, solid arm strength. He's viewed as a guy that is willing to stay in the pocket. He's thought of as a good student, leader, and has a good work ethic. Mechancially, there's some tinkering, but nothing significant.

                  It's a factor of positional value, upside, and the belief that he has a high floor, along with the fact that this is a weak top of the draft.

                  For me, a pro-ready QB is someone that is willing to put in the work. Sure, coming from the Pinkel offense, he has some learning to do, but almost all college QB's have a lot of learning to do (I've made this argument elsewhere). I don't know him personally, but if he has the strong work ethic and character that is being reported, then that's a big plus for him.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'm worried that Gabbert's anxiety in the pocket could end up being a fatal flaw that can't really be corrected.

                    Defenses could bang on Colt McCoy at Texas, and he'd dust himself off and throw timing strikes on slants the very next play.

                    Same thing with Sam Bradford. He NEVER panicked in the pocket, and you could see that same poise even as a rookie for St. Louis.

                    Poise allows you to filter through all the garbage coming at you as a QB from the snap, spot/anticipate the open WR and make a play. Without poise, the game becomes chaotic and too fast to process.

                    Cam Newton, for comparison, has tons of pocket presence and poise when he has to make a play with his arm and never looked rushed or nervous; very efficient when he decides to run but he's also very relaxed and under control when he has to throw the football.

                    Again, this issue with Gabbert won't be resolved until he's actually drafted by an NFL team, but if he has a David Carr-esque rookie year, meaning he's lit up often by blitzing defenders, I think his mental toughness and emotional fortitude will be put to the ultimate test.

                    Either he comes through like Troy Aikman and becomes a pro bowl caliber QB who adjusts to the physicality and constant pressure of the NFL game, or he implodes.

                    When you see Gabbert running around panicked at Mizzou then realize he only threw for 16 TDs in an offense that should have easily doubled those TD numbers, it makes you wonder.

                    If the speed of the game in the Big 12 is too fast for Gabbert...oh well.

                    All the other top prospects despite their flaws had games last season where they were 'on' and dominated an opponent statistically.

                    Gabbert IMO didn't have a single one, even against the creampuff part of Mizzou's schedule.

                    BTW, I still agree based strictly on physical talent and potential upside and the demand for teams to find a franchise QB, Gabbert regardless is a 1st round talent, my question is realistically how far could he fall assuming he doesn't go top 10??


                    I had a friend pose to me that the guy Gabbert most reminds him of Chris Simms as a prospect coming out, same physical tools, same flawed game who played small under pressure.

                    ( I think NFL scouts see the player that Hoge does, not McShay.)
                    Last edited by FUNBUNCHER; 03-26-2011, 03:00 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by 49erNation85 View Post
                      It is all mostly because of his mobility,size and height for most of the BS lame reasons IMO he shouldn't even be a 2nd rounder.The NFL N says he got above average but I don't see it.Why would he have only like 16 TD in a spread offense?Its pretty lame how they rank them.It should really go like this Locker,Mallet,Ponder THEN Newton and Gabbert.If the scouts were dam serious.But they don't all think like what we do and go off body build and arm strength.Not game tape.I also have admit that if is just as worse as Locker for as yardage go or even percentage goes too then why is he a second rounder?THE DUDE is a spread QB.He is NO Bradford and not even close.
                      So...tell me again why, if the scouts only care about size and arm strength, Ryan Mallet isn't the consensus number one...or two...or even three at this point?

                      You don't like him. We get it - but because you like Jake Locker more than any quarterback in this draft does NOT mean NFL scouts are the dumb ones.
                      Originally posted by Babylon
                      It's called Karma for all the years with Montana and Young.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
                        I'm worried that Gabbert's anxiety in the pocket could end up being a fatal flaw that can't really be corrected.

                        Defenses could bang on Colt McCoy at Texas, and he'd dust himself off and throw timing strikes on slants the very next play.

                        Same thing with Sam Bradford. He NEVER panicked in the pocket, and you could see that same poise even as a rookie for St. Louis.

                        Poise allows you to filter through all the garbage coming at you as a QB from the snap, spot/anticipate the open WR and make a play. Without poise, the game becomes chaotic and too fast to process.

                        Cam Newton, for comparison, has tons of pocket presence and poise when he has to make a play with his arm and never looked rushed or nervous; very efficient when he decides to run but he's also very relaxed and under control
                        when he has to throw the football.

                        Again, this issue with Gabbert won't be resolved until he's actually drafted by an NFL team, but if he has a David Carr-esque rookie year, meaning he's lit up often by blitzing defenders, I think his mental toughness and emotional fortitude will be put to the ultimate test.

                        Either he comes through like Troy Aikman and becomes a pro bowl caliber QB who adjusts to the physicality and constant pressure of the NFL game, or he implodes.

                        When you see Gabbert running around panicked at Mizzou then realize he only threw for 16 TDs in an offense that should have easily doubled those TD numbers, it makes you wonder.

                        If the speed of the game in the Big 12 is too fast for Gabbert...oh well.

                        All the other top prospects despite their flaws had games last season where they were 'on' and dominated an opponent statistically.

                        Gabbert IMO didn't have a single one, even against the creampuff part of Mizzou's schedule.

                        BTW, I still agree based strictly on physical talent and potential upside and the demand for teams to find a franchise QB, Gabbert regardless is a 1st round talent, my question is realistically how far could he fall assuming he doesn't go top 10??


                        I had a friend pose to me that the guy Gabbert most reminds him of Chris Simms as a prospect coming out, same physical tools, same flawed game whose played small under pressure.

                        ( I think NFL scouts see the player that Hoge does, not McShay.)
                        Close Thread...nothing more to see here

                        *shuts off lights*

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by toonsterwu View Post
                          Gabbert has some clear warts - his pocket poise isn't sharp right now, to say the least, and he has to learn a pro system. That said, there is enough to like. He has a proto-typical size, good athleticism, solid arm strength. He's viewed as a guy that is willing to stay in the pocket. He's thought of as a good student, leader, and has a good work ethic. Mechancially, there's some tinkering, but nothing significant.

                          It's a factor of positional value, upside, and the belief that he has a high floor, along with the fact that this is a weak top of the draft.

                          For me, a pro-ready QB is someone that is willing to put in the work. Sure, coming from the Pinkel offense, he has some learning to do, but almost all college QB's have a lot of learning to do (I've made this argument elsewhere). I don't know him personally, but if he has the strong work ethic and character that is being reported, then that's a big plus for him.
                          I'm pretty much of this camp. The guy is taking a lot of heat mostly i think because he is predicted to go a the top of the draft. If scouts are saying he should go in the middle of the 1st round i think the support for him would be much greater. Having said that if i'm picking at the top of the draft and need a QB i'm going to try some differant ways to get him or one of the others by moving down and adding more picks.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I'm not a Gabbert fan at all. I'd still probably take him in the first round, but I'd much rather have Newton and his extreme upside.

                            Originally posted by fenikz
                            His soft D really turns me off
                            ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              wait, whos blaine gabbert?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information