Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ryan Kerrigan: Possibly the Best DE in This Draft?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryan Kerrigan: Possibly the Best DE in This Draft?

I know many scouts have him ranked between 3 and 6 at the position. And many fans will not agree with my statement.

But honestly, what makes guys like Robert Quinn, Dequan Bowers, Aldon Smith, and even some have Claiborn ranked higher than him. The knock on Kerrigan is that he isn't 'Athletic" enough to be a top draft prospect. Yet, at the combine, he showed excellent athleticism and ran a great 40 time at 4.71 and is very strong and elusive. (31 reps). Not only that, Kerrigan has the production to back it up as he was always consistent. In his freshman and sophomore years, he recorded 7 sacks in each season and didn't ever fall back in production. 11 sacks in 2009 and 2010 he had 12.5 and was wreaking havoc. He was stout against the run and was a nightmare for OT's and has tremendous strength, burst, and pass rush moves to get to the QB. He forced a good amount of Turnovers (6 or 7 FF i believe this year).

Yet, Bowers really only broke out this year but was a no body his Freshman and Sophomore seasons. Robert QUinn never really stood out against good or top competition in the ACC and kind of only padded his stats against non conference scrubs or weaker opponents.

Aldon Smith you can have an argument for as he is a terrific athlete and raw and talented pass rusher. He had a down year from his Freshman year, but that could have resulted in returning from a leg fracture way to early. But he is still raw.

Kerrigan is the real deal and honestly, I think in the end, many teams will regret passing on this guy and there is a good chance he goes anywhere from 16-20 overall in the 1st round. Teams will regret taking someone like QUiin or bowers over him as he is ready to play now and will only get better.

Originally posted by bucfan12 View Post
    I know many scouts have him ranked between 3 and 6 at the position. And many fans will not agree with my statement.

But honestly, what makes guys like Robert Quinn, Dequan Bowers, Aldon Smith, and even some have Claiborn ranked higher than him. The knock on Kerrigan is that he isn't 'Athletic" enough to be a top draft prospect. Yet, at the combine, he showed excellent athleticism and ran a great 40 time at 4.71 and is very strong and elusive. (31 reps). Not only that, Kerrigan has the production to back it up as he was always consistent. In his freshman and sophomore years, he recorded 7 sacks in each season and didn't ever fall back in production. 11 sacks in 2009 and 2010 he had 12.5 and was wreaking havoc. He was stout against the run and was a nightmare for OT's and has tremendous strength, burst, and pass rush moves to get to the QB. He forced a good amount of Turnovers (6 or 7 FF i believe this year).

Yet, Bowers really only broke out this year but was a no body his Freshman and Sophomore seasons. Robert QUinn never really stood out against good or top competition in the ACC and kind of only padded his stats against non conference scrubs or weaker opponents.

Aldon Smith you can have an argument for as he is a terrific athlete and raw and talented pass rusher. He had a down year from his Freshman year, but that could have resulted in returning from a leg fracture way to early. But he is still raw.

Kerrigan is the real deal and honestly, I think in the end, many teams will regret passing on this guy and there is a good chance he goes anywhere from 16-20 overall in the 1st round. Teams will regret taking someone like QUiin or bowers over him as he is ready to play now and will only get better.
    I absolutely agree with you. This guy is really going to surprise some people.

Comment

Although you make valid points the reason a player might be rated higher than other could be because of upside or potential. Even with that said you could argue that guys like Watt and Bowers look just as good on game film, the difference is Kerrigan did it over a long period of time.
      Also if everything was based on productivity in college for a long time, players Matt Leinart would have panned out way better than Jay Cutler. Although Leinart had a Heisman Trophy, All-American, and National Champion on his resume, Cutler turned out to be the better pro.

Sig by BoneKrusher
      Matt Barkley will be the best QB to be selected in the Top 5 since Peyton Manning.

Comment

Originally posted by Rjspartan View Post
        Although you make valid points the reason a player might be rated higher than other could be because of upside or potential. Even with that said you could argue that guys like Watt and Bowers look just as good on game film, the difference is Kerrigan did it over a long period of time.
        Also if everything was based on productivity in college for a long time, players Matt Leinart would have panned out way better than Jay Cutler. Although Leinart had a Heisman Trophy, All-American, and National Champion on his resume, Cutler turned out to be the better pro.
        Hard to compare a college career at DE to one at QB in terms of translation to the pro-game.

The only two DEs I feel safe saying will definitely be better than Kerrigan in the pros are Watt and Jordan, and that's in either the 4-3 or 3-4 for each of them - and a few teams may still prefer Kerrigan to Watt in the 4-3. Aldon Smith I definitely don't trust, and I consider Bowers closer to a top-12 prospect than top-5. Quinn has more going against him than Kerrigan without a doubt.

All in all, it's true that Kerrigan doesn't get enough love but at the same time he doesn't have the same ceiling as most of the top-10 picks in this draft and those of the past.
        Nick Foles are you really my daddy??!..?

Comment

To me, yes. One of the best, at the very least. Better than Bowers.

Comment

I absolutely love Kerrigan and think he is a Trent Cole clone. Quinn and Bowers have the most upside and potential but with Kerrigan you know absolutely what you're going to get, and that is a non-stop beast.

Comment

kerrigan is the most surefire DE in this class. kids a freak and doesnt get the credit that the other dudes do but he will most definatly suceed. hes a blue collar football player and thats what you need

Comment

No position is harder to project success in the pros than DE IMO. It's one of the harder transitions for college football players to make.

I like Kerrigan's overall game and still think he could play 34 OLB, all depends who drafts him, ( Pats/Skins).

Comment

I guess Anthony Castonzo is a nobody.
                  **** her in da *****!

Comment

I wouldn't go that far. He's a great player and from an NFL perspective he seems to be a long term versatile player, but potential wise he's missing that top notch athleticism to consistently get after the QB. Not sure if he's any good at coverage either, seems too stiff and bulky to cover TEs, RBs.
                    To me he's a 4-3 DE and he should fall anywhere from 10-20.
                    Bowers is the best, when healthy.
                    Quinn is second best, based of potential and athleticism.
                    Kerrigan is #3 i'd say
                    GO RAVENS

Comment

I'm not sure why he is over-looked by so many. If I had to draft a DE and all of them were on the board, I'd really give him consideration. I'd only take oBowers over him at this point and that is only because he has elite potential. Not saying Kerrigan doesn't, because I think he could be a great player in this league and he most likely will be, but Bowers is just a guy everyone was waiting on to do something big and he finally did it, so it makes you wonder if he could keep it up.

I also hate to be the guy that brings up race, but as a pure perspective from a fan of this sport, there aren't that many elite pass-rushers in this league that share RK's pigment, and I'm not saying that's the issue, but I think it definitely has some kind of under-lying impact similar to the whole Toby Gerhart issue last year. Again though, I'm not saying that's the issue, but I wouldn't be surprised if that is in the back of many people who follow the draft's minds.

Comment

I have this feeling, unless someone big falls, the Jaguars will target him at 16th.
                        **** her in da *****!

Comment

Originally posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
                          No position is harder to project success in the pros than DE IMO. It's one of the harder transitions for college football players to make.

I like Kerrigan's overall game and still think he could play 34 OLB, all depends who drafts him, ( Pats/Skins).

Honestly, I think he wouldn't be as successful at 3-4 OLB. He is best suited to play the 4-3 DE. I just don't think it would fit him entirely. Many coaches think they can turn 4-3 college DEs that weigh in the 260-270 range and turn him into standing up pass rusher. Some can transition, but I honestly don't see it in Kerrigan.

Comment

I LOVE Ryan Kerrigan and I think he's a legitimate Top 15 overall pick.

Is he the "best" defensive end? I don't know about that.

Is he the "safest"? Quite possibly.
                            Scott Wright, President
                            Draft Countdown.com
                            www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
                            www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Comment

Agreed. He has the highest floor. He's a VERY safe pick. You know he will work hard, and he will be productive. I think he plays the run well, too, which is underrated. I really like Quinn and Bowers more as pure pass rushers, but they don't have the overall game that Kerrigan has. Whoever gets him is going to get one of those guys who plays for 10 years and will be a leader of the DL.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information