Teams Most Likely to Trade in the 1st Round

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teams Most Likely to Trade in the 1st Round

Like to know what teams you all consider more likely to move around the board come April 28. I think this will be easier to forecast this year since teams won't be able to address areas of need before the draft. I have my own thoughts.

Most likely to trade down

9. Dallas

The Cowboys have been the most difficult team to project in mock drafts all offseason. Their primary positions of need (5 tech, non-LT OL, CB) don't jive well with the positions of strength in this draft. A lot of prognosticators have recently had them taking an OT, but I don't see that as a likely possiblity at 9. Jerry has had a mancrush on Doug Free for a while, and he was decent last season. No other O-line position is worth taking in the top ten.

It has been difficult in past years to trade top ten picks, but with the old CBA going by the wayside, trading into the top ten for non-QBs will suddenly be more pallatable. If Prince Amukamara is off the board, the Cowboys will be forced to either trade or reach.

13. Detroit

The Lions No. 1 need is obviously corner. Prince will likely not be sitting there for them, so the value for that position just will not be there. They are also sitting at about the right spot where the well of elite level pass rushers will start to dry up, and there are a number of teams behind them that are going to be very interested in moving in to swoop an Aldon Smith or Ryan Kerrigan before having to settle for a Justin Houston.

The Lions are sitting in a pick that I believe is actually traded more often than not. The last time they were picking in the teens, they traded down, albeit only two spots.

15. Miami

Their biggest needs are at QB, RB and interrior OL. None of those spots offer great value unless Cam Newton is still available, in which case, they still might not like their options. Mark Ingram is a real option, but the Phins might actually be able to get him 6 or 7 picks later, and since RB seems to be Position Non Grata in the first, they might pass on INgram altogether.

17 & 28. New England

They're New England. Need I say more?

Also up for consideration

10. Washington (need more picks) 21. Kansas City

Most likely to trade up

20. Tampa Bay

The Bucs' major need is that of a franchise pass rusher, and there are plenty in this draft. However, they may not really be in position to take one unless they fall in love with Justin Houston. With Jacksonville sitting at 16 also looking for an edge rusher, they have got to have a move in mind with teams 12-16 if they plan on landing one of the premier edge rushers in the draft.

17 and 28. New England

I know their MO has been to move down, move down, move down in recent years, but I think they have reached their objective. They are already one of the youngest and deepest teams in the league, and now I think they may be after some star power.

It is entirely possible that A.J Green, Julio Jones or Aldon Smith will make it outside of the top ten, and if they have their heart set on any one of them they certainly have the chips to make it happen. In past years when they have traded down, they were old and thin. Now that they are young and deep, I anticipate a shift in draft philosophy.

29.Chicago

The Bears need a LT in a bad way. There very well might be a first round worthy LT available, but if they have one special guy in mind, they ought to part the sea in order to make it happen, especially since they do have a franchise QB to protect. And remember, lots of teams at the top of round two might be interested in moving back into round one to get a LT.

34. Buffalo

Desperately need a QB and an LT, but might not be in position to take one at three. I admit, I have a hard time figuring out what this miserably-run organization is doing, and they will probably end up staying put and taking another third down RB, but if a Jake Locker or someone like Tyron Smith or Nate Solder dips into the 20s, I could easily see them working the phones to get a potential franchise player at one of these two critical positions.

Also up for consideration

14. St. Louis (How much do they want A.J. Green?) 16. Jacksonville (See Tampa Bay) 25. Seattle (QB, QB, QB. If they love Newton, he might slide to a spot where they can move up to get him.)
    Last edited by MI_Buckeye; 03-29-2011, 02:26 AM.

I've heard Dallas is extremely interested in moving down.
    Scott Wright, President
    Draft Countdown.com
    www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
    www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Comment

I came to blank pauses in my latest mock when I hit:

1.12 - Minnesota
      I don't agree with it, but I expect Gabbert and Newton to be gone by the 12th pick. If that's the cause, the next QB needed team is probably Seattle in the 20's...they could trade back before there, take Locker, and pick up an extra pick.

1.13 - Detroit
      I think, unless Prince Amukamara drops to them, they'd prefer to move back and collect picks. They'll realize that the 2nd and 3rd round are filled with corners and offensive line depth...which is their primary needs.

1.15 - Miami
      Not convinced they're sold on taking Ingram that high. Its more than likely they'll try to trade down and settle on Leshoure or Williams in the second.

1.23 - Philly
      Depending soley on whether or not they can get themselves past Jimmy Smith's supposed character flags. If not, they can just take Pouncey and be done with it.

1.25 - Seattle
      If Minny moves back and picks up Locker, I'd expect Seattle to find a trade partner closer to the end of the first round. Most likely, looking for a WR or DE prospect like Baldwin, Torrey Smith, or Brooks Reed.
      "He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there." Elway's take on Lambert

Comment

I really think Oakland tries to get into the 1st round. You have to go back to 1989 to find a year the Raiders did not have a 1st round draft pick.

Oldie but a goodie.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Wright View Post
          I've heard Dallas is extremely interested in moving down.
          I can't see Dallas passing on the top rated OT or Prince Amukamara.
          "He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there." Elway's take on Lambert

Comment

I think New England will trade down from pick No. 28 because they realize that any prospect they take at that level, in all likelihood, does not have a first round grade according to them. That means the value is in trading down, gaining picks and not overpaying for their players.

Miami does not have a second round pick. I think that makes them candidates to trade down and gain a pick to do so.

Cleveland could be a candidate to trade down to someone looking to move up for someone looking for an elite prospect who is sliding or who wants to move ahead of other teams looking for a quarterback. The Browns need a lot of help and are not the lock to grab a WR at No. 6 that has been attributed to them.

Seattle would move their first-round pick for a veteran quarterback they like.

Comment

Originally posted by Wrathman View Post
              I think New England will trade down from pick No. 28 because they realize that any prospect they take at that level, in all likelihood, does not have a first round grade according to them. That means the value is in trading down, gaining picks and not overpaying for their players.

Miami does not have a second round pick. I think that makes them candidates to trade down and gain a pick to do so.

Cleveland could be a candidate to trade down to someone looking to move up for someone looking for an elite prospect who is sliding or who wants to move ahead of other teams looking for a quarterback. The Browns need a lot of help and are not the lock to grab a WR at No. 6 that has been attributed to them.

Seattle would move their first-round pick for a veteran quarterback they like.
              Yeah, but who would trade with them? If the value isn't there between their pick and say 2.05, then no other team will trade with the Patties. I mean, you're looking at a lot of trade value there, they might as well take BPA.

Comment

[QUOTE=Wrathman;2565326]I think New England will trade down from pick No. 28 because they realize that any prospect they take at that level, in all likelihood, does not have a first round grade according to them. That means the value is in trading down, gaining picks and not overpaying for their players.

Seattle would move their first-round pick for a veteran quarterback they like.[/QUOTE]

Not going to happen. Players already under contract can not be moved during the lockout.

Comment

What about the Saints? With Reggie Bush as good as gone and the uncertainty of Pierre Thomas' health, if Mark Ingram is still on the board by picks 12, 13.....14 they possibly could trade up to jump a head of the Dolphins to snatch him.

Comment

I think if the Pats decide to go against their usual and trade up then Dallas is the most likely spot, however I don't think BB would like to give up more than the 33rd and 17th pick for it. If they do make this trade then I would expect the rumoured trade with San Diego to happen where New England get both their second round picks for 28.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

I don't understand how you can not include the Redskins in the top 2-3 teams most likely to trade down. Shanahan has already publically commented on his strong desire to add additional picks in this years draft. Unless AJ Green miracoulously fell to 10, theres really no other reason the Skins shouldn't try to move down with only 2 picks in the first 4 rounds. If they want Locker, they move down. If they want DL, they move down. If they want an OLB, they can move down. If they want a premiere interior OL, they move down.

Comment

I could see the Falcons trading up for a DE. Maybe someone like Kerrigan or Houston.

Comment

Originally posted by AntoinCD View Post
                          I think if the Pats decide to go against their usual and trade up then Dallas is the most likely spot, however I don't think BB would like to give up more than the 33rd and 17th pick for it. If they do make this trade then I would expect the rumoured trade with San Diego to happen where New England get both their second round picks for 28.
                          I think a Dallas-New England swap makes a ton of sense for both teams if Quinn or Julio are available at 9. New England lands an impact player at either Rush LB or WR and I'd imagine Dallas feels more comfortable grabbing a guy like Carimi at 17 instead of Smith at 9 + that 33rd pick is a great spot to land either interior OL or CB, which are big needs.
                          Cowboys Mock:
                          1. Myles Jack | LB | UCLA
                          2. Vernon Butler | DT | LA Tech
                          3. Karl Joseph | SS | WVU

Comment

I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that the Bears WILL NOT trade up in the 1st round. I don't think the Bears think they need a franchise LT, as much as everyone else does. J'Marcus Webb looks like he's moving to LT, and is a high upside type of player that started 13 games last year, and will start next year somewhere on the OL. Chris Williams is still just 26, and could be moved back to OT.

Next, these are the type of OTs you move up for. Tyron Smith isn't ready to be a franchise LT in 2011. Nate Solder isn't ready to be a LT in 2011. And face it, the Bears were 1 step away from the SuperBowl, they aren't waiting a year on a 1st round OL. Carimi is an option, but he may be best suited at RT, which you don't trade up for RTs. Castonzo has as many questions as Solder and Smith. And Sherrod will probably be on the board at 29 either way.

Lastly, the Bears only have 6 picks due to the supplemental pick of Harvey Unga last year. After back-to-back years with no 1st or 2nd round pick, they aren't going to give up 1 of their 6 picks, for any one player, and lose 1 of those precious 6. Jerry Angelo (GM) has no history of trading up. Actually the exact opposite is true.

Comment

Chicago is not trading up. We may trade down but not up.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information