PFW "Clobbers" Cam Newton

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
    Nawrocki's actual scouting report on Cam was very extensive and, shocker(!!), balanced for the most part.

PFW excerpted the most controversial comments from Nawrocki to gin up more predraft drama, and it worked.

I still think he went way beyond where a serious NFL scout should go by attempting to interpret or diagnose the psyche of a prospect, but much of what he wrote up falls in line with what many posters on SWDC have said pro and con about Newton.

BTW, Clausen is struggling not because of his character. He's having a difficult time because playing QB in the NFL is hard.
    This is a very good, well thought out post. I believe most posters here acknowledge the incredible talent Newton has. It is a question of how much weight the off the field issues have with each evaluator. For me, they have a greater impact on my final evaluation than some other posters.

Comment

• I guess this is big news because someone had the balls to call Cam Newton what we already know. Instead of quoting other people and saying scouts are calling Newton a lying scumbag that's narcissistic, he's actually putting his name on these remarks. Otherwise, this already known. You watch an interview with Cam Newton and he's one of the biggest phonies I have ever seen on TV... maybe the biggest fraud since Chris Berman or any given politician.

I can see why the media is all over it, but for it to get such reactions on here is surprising. It's not like anyone of us on here haven't said worse about Cam Newton. I think the controversial part of the review is accurate to a "T". What he had to say about Ryan Mallet? Over the line. Calling him out for having a gray *****? Who does that? And why would you have to proceed with caution because a prospect has a gray wiener? Makes no sense.
      Originally posted by Scott Wright
      I honestly believe Reggie Bush has turned into exactly the type of player I envisioned.
      Originally posted by PossibleCabbage
      I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
      Originally posted by bearsfan_51
      iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
      Originally posted by GatorsBullsFan
      I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
      Originally posted by GoRavens
      Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Comment

• Originally posted by njx9
        actually, it *won't* be shown on draft day. what will be shown on draft day is whether there's a *perception* that it will affect him.

but it's funny that you're ready to blow off clausen for being a dick (and suggest that it's directly related to his ability to play qb), but feel that any allusion whatsoever to cam newton's character is 'ridiculous'.

hypocrisy is always fun.
        njx slays another victim!

Comment

• This is getting uglier and uglier.

Warren Moon says the criticism is based off racism.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2...ory?id=6277093

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
            This is getting uglier and uglier.

Pure poppycock. Lots of QBs are roundly criticized for potentially being poorly prepared for the NFL by their college systems (just look at Tebow last year) and many QBs are criticized heartily for character concerns (just look at Clausen last year). Since Tebow and Clausen are both white guys, this is just a symptom of "NFL unfriendly offense" meets "legitimate character concerns."

Giving Newton a pass because simply because he's black would be more racist than the alternative.

Comment

• Originally posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
              Pure poppycock. Lots of QBs are roundly criticized for potentially being poorly prepared for the NFL by their college systems (just look at Tebow last year) and many QBs are criticized heartily for character concerns (just look at Clausen last year). Since Tebow and Clausen are both white guys, this is just a symptom of "NFL unfriendly offense" meets "legitimate character concerns."

Giving Newton a pass because simply because he's black would be more racist than the alternative.
              Haha. Did you just say poppycock? lmao.

I agree. I don't get why the race card had to be brought up.

Comment

Here's an article with more stuff.

I just lost a ton of respect for Moon.

“The thing that makes me laugh is the question of can [Newton] come out of the spread offense? Can he run a pro offense? Colt McCoy came out of the spread offense and very few people raised that issue about him. So did Sam Bradford. Same thing. Very few questions asking if Bradford could run a pro offense. Some of these questions about Cam are more about his intellect. It’s blatant racism, some of it.”
                You mean, that respect part for McCoy where he dropped into the 3rd round despite being the one of the winningest and most accurate QBs ever, Warren?

He neglects to mention Clausen getting ripped for character issues. He neglects to mention Ryan Mallett getting ripped for a ton of undisclosed character issues this year. Or Tebow for being a system QB.

The only racist that I've seen out in public making statements wrt Cam has been you, Mr. Moon.

Comment

• I think Pro Football Talk had the best response to Moon:

But the perception of phoniness knows no racial boundaries. Last year, Tebow became one of the most polarizing figures in all of sports, with plenty of people thinking that Tebow’s decision to wrap himself in religious and goodness is more calculated and forced than natural and genuine. And who can forget the relentless criticism of Jimmy Clausen, who was perceived as a bad teammate with a sense of entitlement — and who slid to the middle of round two in part because of it?

Newton enters the NFL amid many questions and concerns. He allegedly stole a laptop while playing at Florida. He has been caught up in a pay-to-play scandal that, with tonight’s HBO report regarding other far less accomplished players at Auburn getting paid, will likely inch back toward the front burner. Newton has dubbed himself “an entertainer and an icon.” Moon himself has admitted that Newton at times puts “the cart before the horse” when talking about himself.

Also, Newton struggled at the Scouting Combine, and his Pro Day workout was a step below the T-shirt-and-shorts grand slam that quarterback Pro Days so often become. While Newton won the Heisman and a national title, he didn’t have the kind of clearly dominant performance on a huge stage that propelled other quarterbacks to the top of the draft.

All that said, Newton surely will be drafted earlier than Tebow or Clausen were picked, and well before white quarterbacks like Jake Locker and Ryan Mallet, who has absorbed plenty of criticism this year, too, based on unsubstantiated rumors of drug use. Indeed, Newton still could be the first quarterback — and the first player — taken in the draft.

That said, are some of the people criticizing and/or rooting against Newton motivated by race? Undoubtedly. On balance, however, Newton finds himself in the unenviable position of being a high-profile player at a high-profile position that invites a high level of scrutiny in the months preceding the draft. Sure, Blaine Gabbert has received far less poking and prodding — but that’s because his college career was far more muted and unremarkable. Newton is living the reality of life under an electron microscope, the same device that has hovered over Tebow and Clausen and that will be used to study every big-name, well-known rookie quarterback, for as long as there are big-name, well-known rookie quarterbacks.
                  Scott Wright, President
                  Draft Countdown.com
                  www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
                  www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Comment

• Moon dealt with a lot of stereotyping coming out of highschool where most programs wanted to convert him to a WR so he probably has a soft spot for what he percieves as a double standard.

The problem with the Newton situation is he isnt the only one being criticised and most of it comes with the territory. Mallett is getting knocked for his off the field issues but Mallett isnt projected to be at the top of the draft.

Moon was recently talking up Newton to the Titans as being a good fit there, i know there is probably some history with the old Oilers organization but why not talk up Locker to the Titans, as both he and Moon played for the UW.I guess technically that's racism also.

Comment

Well, he is Newton's advisor so you'd expect Moon to defend him. Pulling out the race card is the laziest thing one could do. It's a shame Moon is stooping to this level. People are calling him untrustworthy since he cheated on tests, lied to police to cover up a larceny he committed, people coaching him up during interviews, which is plain as day for anyone to see... seems pretty fair. Does Moon really expect people to just act like none of his moronic antics didn't happen? It should be expected to face scrutiny, especially when a player invites it.

Pulling the race card anytime something negative is said or done to a black person? I thought we were all passed that.
                      Last edited by BigBanger; 03-31-2011, 04:15 PM.
                      Originally posted by Scott Wright
                      I honestly believe Reggie Bush has turned into exactly the type of player I envisioned.
                      Originally posted by PossibleCabbage
                      I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
                      Originally posted by bearsfan_51
                      iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
                      Originally posted by GatorsBullsFan
                      I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
                      Originally posted by GoRavens
                      Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Comment

• lol @ Warren Moon pulling that card. smh.
                        Just play me, baby

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock View Post
                          Newton's attitude sounds a lot like Lebron James only Bron Bron didn't have baggage( i think).
                          Brons baggage was that whatever team has him, they also get to pamper his entourage to keep him happy. Not only that, but he believed he was the best, before he even proved he is capable and has the talent to be the best (loses that right since he's Wades sidekick now). Bron was also supposedly taking PED's of some sort, seemed to gain steam when he had a cist a few years ago and some pegged PEDs as the reason.

Maybe teams are viewing Newton as seeing himself as a Superstar, yet doesn't have the work ethic to back it up and just may end up with an overpaid underachiever and his cronies around until they can dump him and move on.

I'm no scout, but I see Newton as a Sanchez type success. If he's put in the right situation where he's not gonna be relied on to turn a franchise around, he'll succeed. (Used Sanchez as his stats are not all that great, yet the Jets are still successful due to their running game and defense to back him up)

Comment

• Originally posted by BigBanger View Post
                            I guess this is big news because someone had the balls to call Cam Newton what we already know. Instead of quoting other people and saying scouts are calling Newton a lying scumbag that's narcissistic, he's actually putting his name on these remarks. Otherwise, this already known. You watch an interview with Cam Newton and he's one of the biggest phonies I have ever seen on TV... maybe the biggest fraud since Chris Berman or any given politician.
                            And what exactly is making him a phonie, again?

Originally Posted by scottyboy
                            my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
                            But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons

Comment

• Dumb thing for Moon to state publicly when it's known he's an advisor to Newton.
                              Granted, Moon has a right to be mad at the football gods because of the mountain he had to climb to get his shot in the NFL, but there is legitimacy to the majority of the critiques Cam is receiving, IMO.

If Newton had transferred from Florida while leaving behind a spotless record, then went on to greater accomplishments at Auburn, I think there'd be more consensus opinion that he should be the#1 overall pick.

Say what you will about Mike Vick, but at Va Tech I don't recall hearing about him even cussing in public.
                              If Vick had all the negative baggage that Cam did when he came out, there's no way Atlanta would have drafted him 1/1, (at least I don't think so!!lol)

If racial bias isn't clearly obvious, and instead it's just a gut feeling you have about someone, there's nothing gained for someone who's a respected NFL HOFer to throw gasoline onto the entire draft evaluation process.

For instance, I feel the reason so many casual outside observers were so quick to ASSUME Mallett was stoopid is because his speech pattern sounds 'too Black' for some people's tastes.

Can't prove that's what was going on and I would never say that in front of a camera, that's why some discussions are better left on message boards.

Moon really needs to take a step back and realize it's 2011 and it's not like Newton is at risk to falling down to the fifth round, or going undrafted.

I think most believe he's a near lock to go in the top 10, if not earlier.

Also, the more Moon vents, it's clear he doesn't really even follow the predraft scouting process.

McCoy, Bradford and Tebow, the #1 criticism against all of them was the offense they ran in college.

I feel bad for Moon in a way because he really was racially discriminated against by the entire NFL when he came out of U Dub in '78.

I don't think that's a scar that ever goes away, and can lead to racial hypersensitivity and paranoia.
                              Last edited by FUNBUNCHER; 03-31-2011, 05:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bills2083 View Post
                                And what exactly is making him a phonie, again?
                                Lot of folks seem to think he's made up, fake smiles and is just giving a scripted speech. That's not too uncommon though. Mallet undoubtedly rehearsed how he'd answer questions about drug use, too.

A lot of people who've actually talked to Cam have come away unimpressed. There's some validity to it.
                                Just play me, baby

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information