Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scott Wright View Post
    How many times was Clausen arrested?

How many schools was Clausen kicked out of for cheating?

How many NCAA Pay-for-Play scandals was Clausen involved in?

If Clausen had Newton's track record I would've had him at least a round lower than I did.

Fair enough Clauses was never kicked out of school but neither was Newton he left Florida so I'm not sure what your point was with that. The only concern I would have with Newton would be that he allegedly cheated on two school papers. People try to use the pay for.play scheme as a character concern however they ignore the fact that there have been other prospects who did the same thing and are looked at as high character guys so that argument doesn't hold water with me. The guy who wrote this scouting report has become very unprofessional when discussing Newton. It baffles me that so many people feel they can accurately give a real opinion on somebody they never as much as had a cup of coffee with. You said you don't think Nolan went overboard with his scouting report, we have had some guys come along with some really extreme character issues and I've never seen a report as vile as that one was. I would really be interested in reading Nolan's report on Mallet. Did he attack Mallet with the same personal attacks and lack of professionalism? Obviously Newton's perceived character concerns aren't as bad as you pundits are making it out to be considering he isnt sliding down the draft like Clausen did or how Mallet is expected to.

Comment

• Clausen was arrogant and seemed to lack leadership qualities. Guy never had a run-in with the law. His sole run-in if you will, was transporting alcohol as a minor. That's it. Also, he never cheated...or at least wasn't caught, heh.
      Just play me, baby

Comment

• I do think there is a race issue when people compare Gabbert and Newton. They played in the same style of offense, and Newton was more productive and did more within it to win games for his team, but people act like Newton is a massive project and Gabbert is pro-ready. Makes no sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by nepg View Post
          I do think there is a race issue when people compare Gabbert and Newton. They played in the same style of offense, and Newton was more productive and did more within it to win games for his team, but people act like Newton is a massive project and Gabbert is pro-ready. Makes no sense.
          There is no race issue. Gabbert is a smart guy. He has the brain of a NFL QB. Newton, in the other hand, we don't know if he can count up to 100.

Comment

• I didn't realize that a lot of you guys were such wimps. The race card is lame and inexcusable. This is not the Warren Moon era. This is a huge multi-billion dollar business and these athletes are a huge investment for these giant corporations.

I think there is a lot of vitriol involved with Newton because he has blatantly lied about soliciting (and likely receiving) large sums of cash. On top of everything else. NFL guys don't like huge dirty secrets like that. Someone who is capable of that kind of nefariousness is capable of a lot more.

He may turn out to be a golden child after all of this, and I for one hope so. I think he is a hell of an athlete.

I honestly don't get the Gabbert love, but like PFT said, he simply isn't under the same microscope. I mean, Auburn was national champion, Newton was their QB Heisman winner, and he has had a TON of shadiness surrounding him.

It's no secret that the vast majority of sports journalists aren't that bright (not looking at you Mr. Wright). They chase easy stories and regurgitate inane thoughts. Rarely do they pursue a logical line of reasoning. Pulitzer is not in their vocabulary, website hits are.

But it boils down to this: Would you trust that this guy is going to make the best decisions on and off of the field? He's got a lot of strikes in both areas. Like I said, he's a fantastic athlete, but that doesn't make you an NFL QB. Lots of studying, practice, and the ability to make good decisions under pressure turn a good athlete a great NFL QB.

Comment

• My guess is Warren Moon is putting the Titans in the unenviable position of having to be picking 8th and staring at Cam Newton, who i would guess they dont want. Tennessee is probably hoping for someone at the top of the draft to be the ones that pick Newton.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post

You mean, that respect part for McCoy where he dropped into the 3rd round despite being the one of the winningest and most accurate QBs ever, Warren?
                Fell? Please; McCoy was short with an average arm. He went where he should have gone; he never had top-end NFL tools.

Comment

• Originally posted by njx9
                  they should tell him that this isn't houston and he can go **** himself. seriously. warren moon is an idiot.
                  The Titans did have pretty much the whole entourage here in Seattle yesterday and it wasnt for our ###### weather.

Comment

• Warren Moon went though a lot as a black qb in his era, I think he get's a pass.

However as many people have said I think his comments were completely out of hand.

Comment

• Originally posted by billybeejr View Post

However as many people have said I think his comments were completely out of hand.
                      How were they out of hand? He's talking about the MEDIA btw...he's not suggesting that NFL teams are being racist; he is stating that the media-driven attacks that have persisted for months now are race driven...which they absolutely could be.

Comment

• Originally posted by njx9
                        that's absolute ******* drivel and you know it.
                        You cant be serious?

The media portrayed UNLV vs. Duke back in the early 90's as "GOOD vs. EVIL"...because UNLV was a team made up of inner-city black kids; all of whom were constantly being reported as being "thugs". Same thing with the Fab5 in Michigan. Yeah; we're a lot further past that in 2011 but you're still talking about a bunch of old white dudes who have convinced themselves that Newton took money (which no one proved) and are now going to use that to attack every aspect of him. He's "fake" because they think he took money. He's "selfish" because they think he took money.

I think it can easily be argued that the reason everyone thinks he took money is because he is black. If this was a clean-cut white guy from the midwest I have a hard time believing that the attacks would have persisted this long.

Comment

• Originally posted by metafour View Post
                          You cant be serious?

The media portrayed UNLV vs. Duke back in the early 90's as "GOOD vs. EVIL"...because UNLV was a team made up of inner-city black kids; all of whom were constantly being reported as being "thugs". Same thing with the Fab5 in Michigan. Yeah; we're a lot further past that in 2011 but you're still talking about a bunch of old white dudes who have convinced themselves that Newton took money (which no one proved) and are now going to use that to attack every aspect of him. He's "fake" because they think he took money. He's "selfish" because they think he took money.

I think it can easily be argued that the reason everyone thinks he took money is because he is black. If this was a clean-cut white guy from the midwest I have a hard time believing that the attacks would have persisted this long.

Ryan Mallett would probably disagree. The thing with Newton is he's been talked about as a top 5 pick, if he were a second rounder i would guess nobody would really care about any baggage.

Comment

Fell? Please; McCoy was short with an average arm. He went where he should have gone; he never had top-end NFL tools.
                            McCoy fell to the third round in large part because he was short with an average arm. He was never considered to be a top QB prospect, which is why he didn't receive the scrutiny that top QB prospects receive, which is why "Colt McCoy can't adapt from the spread offense" wasn't really anybody's talking point, it was just another thing on the list of hurdles McCoy had to overcome.

The media simply isn't that critical about third round QBs, or about second round QBs who nobody thinks may go in the first round. They care about, because casual NFL fans care about, potential first round QBs.

Comment

Yup, I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that it is widely known that many college players have accepted money. It has everything to do with race.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ent/index.html
                              http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2537332
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Souther...otball_scandal
                              http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2011...ain-about.html

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
                                I didn't realize that a lot of you guys were such wimps. The race card is lame and inexcusable. This is not the Warren Moon era. This is a huge multi-billion dollar business and these athletes are a huge investment for these giant corporations.
                                They're not billion dollar investments to hack sportswriters. I avoid the race issue as much as I can, especially when it comes to QBs, but the feeling that some of the things being written about Newton are subconsciously (i.e. people aren't thinking about what they're writing or why they're writing it) racially driven is just way too strong this time around. He's getting all of the black QB stereotypes applied to him while a white player coming out of a similar offense who played horrible by comparison against lesser competition is being lauded as the "clear cut best QB in the draft."

But it boils down to this: Would you trust that this guy is going to make the best decisions on and off of the field? He's got a lot of strikes in both areas. Like I said, he's a fantastic athlete, but that doesn't make you an NFL QB. Lots of studying, practice, and the ability to make good decisions under pressure turn a good athlete a great NFL QB.
                                Newton made much better decisions with the football on the field than Gabbert did. And that one's not even close.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information