PFW "Clobbers" Cam Newton

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by J-Mike88 View Post
    And because his receivers and passing offense are horse****.
    Where's Dwayne Jarrett anyway?
    Yeah because Sam Bradford's WRs were All-Pro before he got to the Rams. Remember most "experts" said Jimmy Clausen was Pro ready.
    Last edited by Complex; 03-31-2011, 09:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nepg View Post
      They're not billion dollar investments to hack sportswriters. I avoid the race issue as much as I can, especially when it comes to QBs, but the feeling that some of the things being written about Newton are subconsciously (i.e. people aren't thinking about what they're writing or why they're writing it) racially driven is just way too strong this time around. He's getting all of the black QB stereotypes applied to him while a white player coming out of a similar offense who played horrible by comparison against lesser competition is being lauded as the "clear cut best QB in the draft."

Newton made much better decisions with the football on the field than Gabbert did. And that one's not even close.
      So you are a psychic? You know what people are subconsciously thinking? That is amazing.

You are way out of line. Completely. People scrambling behind Warren Moon's words are hilariously misguided. Race baiting is a classic diversionary tactic, and is extremely shameful when applied in situations like this.

'm disappointed that you are one of them because I find you to be otherwise rational.

Comment

• No. You're trying to put thoughts and words into what I'm saying. I didn't say anything about off-the-field stuff nor did I call anyone racist.

I said there definitely seems to be some racial stereotyping with Newton as a player, especially when you look at how people are treating Gabbert as a player.

Newton was quite obviously the better QB in a similar offense, was a great decision-maker with the football, and was obviously the leader of the Auburn Tigers football team. Cam has equal or better mechanics when compared to Gabbert, has a better arm, is a better athlete, and demonstrated better on-field intangibles. Yet Cam is somehow some dum dum project bust and Gabbert is the next coming...? How the **** does that work? Only explanation is that people are giving Cam the stereotypical athletic black QB treatment.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
          So you are a psychic? You know what people are subconsciously thinking? That is amazing.

You are way out of line. Completely. People scrambling behind Warren Moon's words are hilariously misguided. Race baiting is a classic diversionary tactic, and is extremely shameful when applied in situations like this.

'm disappointed that you are one of them because I find you to be otherwise rational.
          I say subconciously because I don't believe people are doing it on purpose, but they're doing it. What is being diverted? I'm talking football here, and ****'s not adding up.

Comment

• Originally posted by nepg View Post
            No. You're trying to put thoughts and words into what I'm saying. I didn't say anything about off-the-field stuff nor did I call anyone racist.

I said there definitely seems to be some racial stereotyping with Newton as a player, especially when you look at how people are treating Gabbert as a player.

Newton was quite obviously the better QB in a similar offense, was a great decision-maker with the football, and was obviously the leader of the Auburn Tigers football team. Cam has equal or better mechanics when compared to Gabbert, has a better arm, is a better athlete, and demonstrated better on-field intangibles. Yet Cam is somehow some dum dum project bust and Gabbert is the next coming...? How the **** does that work? Only explanation is that people are giving Cam the stereotypical athletic black QB treatment.
            A lot of people have Gabbert penciled as a bust & a lot of people think Newton is better. There isn't an agenda against Cam.

What do you mean by sterotypical black QB treatment, lol?
            Just play me, baby

Comment

• Originally posted by NotRickJames View Post
              A lot of people have Gabbert penciled as a bust & a lot of people think Newton is better. There isn't an agenda against Cam.

What do you mean by sterotypical black QB treatment, lol?
              IMO as a Black pro prospect at QB, you can be viewed as 'too athletic', and the more gifted a runner you are, the more some people assume you can't do work from inside the pocket.

Comment

• The black QB stuff is true. There's only been one black QB to win a Super Bowl for a reason, I'm sorry to say. It's not racism, it's fact. Newton doesn't exactly come across as someone who's going to study defenses and know what the other team is going to do pre-snap on a consistent basis.
                Nick Foles are you really my daddy??!..?

Comment

• Originally posted by GaMeTiMe View Post
                  The black QB stuff is true. There's only been one black QB to win a Super Bowl for a reason, I'm sorry to say. It's not racism, it's fact. Newton doesn't exactly come across as someone who's going to study defenses and know what the other team is going to do pre-snap on a consistent basis.
                  Just play me, baby

Comment

• Originally posted by NotRickJames View Post
                    That's pretty funny, but I have no idea what it's supposed to mean
                    Nick Foles are you really my daddy??!..?

Comment

• I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL... but going easy on Cam Newton in the evaluation process isn't going to make that happen. In fact, going easy on him most likely makes that less likely to happen.

Evaluating him harshly, but fairly so that he's going into the NFL with reasonable expectations and reasonable expectations for himself is probably the best way for him to become eventually successful.

Comment

• Originally posted by njx9
                        yeah, you know, that and the off field stuff that's consumed most of this thread. but sure, it's just because he's black. let me know when there are serious rumors that gabbert was paid to attend missouri.
                        I'm talking when people are breaking down the players on the field, not the people off it (as I've said...repeatedly).

It's funny to me to see people say Cam Newton won't be able to read a defense or make the right decision under pressure in the NFL...and then use that as a basis to put Gabbert above him... As if there was any shred of evidence that Gabbert can make good decisions under pressure and as if there isn't a stack of 2010-11 film to show that Cam Newton can.

As far as off-field issues... What are you going to do about Cam Newton's past? Every little thing he's done that isn't perfect has been scrutinized. He's been treated like a thug. Was he a prima donna athlete that didn't realize the position he was in and made some stupid decisions? Hell yeah. But he's no thug.

I'd be far more concerned with Gabbert's skiddishness than Newton's off-field life.

The only thing with Newton is if teams think he will continue to mature and work on his craft. On the field, there's not much to dislike.

Comment

• Gabbert did a great job in his chalkboard sessions at the combine while Newton didn't (to be kind) per several people who reported on that. The natural leader among all the quarterbacks at the combine was said to be Gabbert...even though Newton was there as well. We've seen the Wonderlic scores favor Gabbert by 50% more than what Newton scored.

There are pros and cons to each QB. The above reasons could be reasonably used to put together a case that Gabbert is the more intelligent player and we've not touched on the stupidity exhibited off the field. Or this could all be ignored and one could run straight to the race card.

Comment

• Originally posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
                            I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL... but going easy on Cam Newton in the evaluation process isn't going to make that happen. In fact, going easy on him most likely makes that less likely to happen.

Evaluating him harshly, but fairly so that he's going into the NFL with reasonable expectations and reasonable expectations for himself is probably the best way for him to become eventually successful.
                            That's the problem. They're not doing it fairly. You look at the film, and you see how Newton handles himself on the field compared to Gabbert... You see the split-second decisions Newton makes under pressure compared to the ones Gabbert makes...and you see the difference between a National Championship and the Insight Bowl loser.

I don't really care if you say you don't think Newton can read defenses and make decisions under pressure in the NFL. But when you turn around and say that Gabbert can. That just doesn't make sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wrathman View Post
                              Gabbert did a great job in his chalkboard sessions at the combine while Newton didn't (to be kind) per several people who reported on that. The natural leader among all the quarterbacks at the combine was said to be Gabbert...even though Newton was there as well. We've seen the Wonderlic scores favor Gabbert by 50% more than what Newton scored.

There are pros and cons to each QB. The above reasons could be reasonably used to put together a case that Gabbert is the more intelligent player and we've not touched on the stupidity exhibited off the field. Or this could all be ignored and one could run straight to the race card.
                              Who said all this? IDK remember hearing any of that besides Gabbert doing well in the chalkboard session.

Comment

• Originally posted by Complex View Post
                                Who said all this? IDK remember hearing any of that besides Gabbert doing well in the chalkboard session.
                                I don't recall. I look at numerous sites every day, so I would not be able to pin this down easily. I would doubt (from memory) that all of what you highlighted came from the same source, but I suppose it's possible.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information