No announcement yet.

PFW "Clobbers" Cam Newton

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a hard time respecting the opinion of National Pundits who HAVEN'T PLAYED THE GAME...how can one past judgement?

PFW has progressively gotten worse since JB passed away

Comment

Originally posted by Rashaan Salaam View Post
      I have a hard time respecting the opinion of National Pundits who HAVEN'T PLAYED THE GAME...how can one past judgement?

PFW has progressively gotten worse since JB passed away
      So, then how can you pass judgment on a member of the media if you've never worked in the media?

Comment

Mark Sanchez had the same damn aura around him leading up to the draft as well.

Hmmm....
        The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

I agree so much with this statement. I clearly don't care how well an arguement or point is put across. If you didn't play in the NFL you clearly don't know squat. It's why former players like Emmitt Smith and Keyshawn Johnson have consistently been the best TV pundits around. But it's not just limited to the media. It's for the same reason that all the best scouts and coaches were also former players, and the better the player the better they are at their current job. I mean Mike Singletary clearly got screwed by a guy who never played the game because he was jealous of his awesomeness as a coach.

How Deion Sanders isn't a GM right now is beyond me

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

Originally posted by njx9
            right? clearly trent dilfer is clearly far more qualified to offer his analysis as a scout. i mean, he played football.

then again, i have a hard time respecting the opinion of people who don't know the english language (*pass, not past, and it was the wrong homophone anyways, even if that were the correct tense to use).
            Have you ever played football? (HS, College, Pro, Semi-Pro).. My guess is that you're an English Professor..thus making you not qualified to speak on football.. But, you can continue to Koreck Mai Gramma

Comment

Originally posted by AntoinCD View Post
              I agree so much with this statement. I clearly don't care how well an arguement or point is put across. If you didn't play in the NFL you clearly don't know squat. It's why former players like Emmitt Smith and Keyshawn Johnson have consistently been the best TV pundits around. But it's not just limited to the media. It's for the same reason that all the best scouts and coaches were also former players, and the better the player the better they are at their current job. I mean Mike Singletary clearly got screwed by a guy who never played the game because he was jealous of his awesomeness as a coach.

How Deion Sanders isn't a GM right now is beyond me
              I like how you also ignore Marshall Faulk, Howie Long, Tom Jackson, Steve Young, Boomer Esiason, Dan Marino, Warren Sapp, Sterling Sharpe, Brian Baldinger...etc..

The people you listed may not be the Best Commentator or Analyst, but they KNOW the game...

Comment

Originally posted by Halsey View Post
                So, then how can you pass judgment on a member of the media if you've never worked in the media?
                I am the media...and also a former player..UL-Lafayette

Comment

From Pro Football Weekly's Eric Edholm on Twitter (http://twitter.com/Eric_Edholm):

In case you missed, Nolan Nawrocki took shots at Cam Newton in @ProFootballWkly Draft Guide. Made similar remarks on JaMarcus back in 2007.
                  Paraphrasing Nawrocki on #JaMarcus Russell in '07: "He will set the #Raiders' franchise back five years." Pretty close to the truth.
                  As I've said, Nolan Nawrocki knows what he's doing and has an impeccable reputation. If Nolan is saying this stuff about Newton it's because he has excellent sources who are telling him.
                  Last edited by Scott Wright; 03-29-2011, 12:23 PM.
                  Scott Wright, President
                  Draft Countdown.com
                  www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
                  www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Comment

I like how you also ignore Marshall Faulk, Howie Long, Tom Jackson, Steve Young, Boomer Esiason, Dan Marino, Warren Sapp, Sterling Sharpe, Brian Baldinger...etc..

The people you listed may not be the Best Commentator or Analyst, but they KNOW the game...
                    Gil Brandt, Steve Sabol, Bill Belichick, Bill Walsh etc. How many of them played in the NFL??? Just because you played professional football does not make you more informed about the game. Sure you can draw on your own personal experience but that doesn't make you a better journalist. Some current and former NFL players are dumber than a bunch of rocks. But by your logic they should all be given jobs in the print media because they KNOW the game

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

Just because you played professional football does not make you more informed about the game.
                      Matt Millen!!!
                      Scott Wright, President
                      Draft Countdown.com
                      www.draftcountdown.com

Comment

Let's keep the discussion to Cam Newton, not our resumes and qualifications.
                        Scott Wright, President
                        Draft Countdown.com
                        www.draftcountdown.com

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Wright View Post
                          Hey Matt,

Here is the $64,000 Question:

"Would you risk your job, reputation and future of your franchise on Cam Newton?"

I certainly wouldn't.
                          Allow me retort with a question of my own would you risk your job on a player with a tumor in his brain? (they never removed it). And he was suspended for a year for allegations similar to what Newton faces. But they had proof on Quinn. Yet you have Quinn at 6 and Newton at 25+.

To answer your question, yes I would take that risk. Nothing ventured nothing gained, you can't go through life never taking draft risk... every player is a risk. there is no such thing as sure thing.

the Rams tried to play it safe when they took Jason Smith at 2 instead of a QB, they learned their lesson. there are no safe picks.
                          my shoes hurt

Why Me? The Bob Lamonta Story

Comment

Gil Brandt, Steve Sabol, Bill Belichick, Bill Walsh etc. How many of them played in the NFL??? Just because you played professional football does not make you more informed about the game. Sure you can draw on your own personal experience but that doesn't make you a better journalist. Some current and former NFL players are dumber than a bunch of rocks. But by your logic they should all be given jobs in the print media because they KNOW the game
                            If I watch enough of Law and Order, would you like me to be your attorney?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Wright View Post
                              Matt Millen!!!
                              Matt Millen picked good players....he just picked the wrong QB!

Comment

Originally posted by bitonti View Post
                                Allow me retort with a question of my own would you risk your job on a player with a tumor in his brain? (they never removed it). And he was suspended for a year for allegations similar to what Newton faces. But they had proof on Quinn. Yet you have Quinn at 6 and Newton at 25+.

To answer your question, yes I would take that risk. Nothing ventured nothing gained, you can't go through life never taking draft risk... every player is a risk. there is no such thing as sure thing.

the Rams tried to play it safe when they took Jason Smith at 2 instead of a QB, they learned their lesson. there are no safe picks.
                                Well, in Quinn's case it was one isolated incident whereas with Newton it's a consistent pattern that shows he doesn't think the rules apply to them. I think that is apples and oranges.

As for Quinn's medical issues, I'd have to listen to the doctors. At this point I haven't heard anything to lead me to believe that Quinn will have medical issues going forward so I'd absolutely be willing to take him in the Top 10 overall.

If Newton was a cornerback or running back I probably wouldn't hold the intangibles stuff against him nearly as much. However, when you're talking about a quarterback who is going to be the leader of the team and face of the franchise, I hold them to a higher standard.

I'm looking forward to being (W)right on this one in five years, Bitonti! :o)
                                Last edited by Scott Wright; 03-29-2011, 12:04 PM.
                                Scott Wright, President
                                Draft Countdown.com
                                www.draftcountdown.com

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information