PFW "Clobbers" Cam Newton

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bitonti View Post
    Yes. whats the alternative? Patrick Peterson doesn't add a single win to 2-14. they need a star QB. drafting a CB or WR and waiting a year doesn't guarantee anything, all it guarantees is that team will suck this year.
    Well hypothetically if you take Newton and he pans out then you look like a genius. However if he busts then you are set back at least 3 more years.

There are enough concerns about Newton to at least put doubt in your mind and this is a pick you simply cannot afford to miss on.

If the Panthers have done all their research on Newton, and clearly they will have done, and still feel confident about him then all power to them. But based on the little information that is available to the general public there seems to be some major warning signs.

One year of production
    Numerous documented off the field issues(not including whatever his father may or may not have done)
    Is he truly devoted to football or being an "entertainer and an icon"
    He will be coming from a zone read option offense to a pro style offense

One of those issues is worrying enough for the team drafting 1st overall, however all of them combined are huge.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

• Rotoworld has run a story claiming that an unnamed NFL executive has said Newton would go number one if he was white.

For the record I disagree, however if you are one of the people who believe Nolan's unnamed source you have to believe this unnamed source also. Or do you just believe unnamed sources when they say what you want to hear?

Comment

• Originally posted by AntoinCD View Post
        Well hypothetically if you take Newton and he pans out then you look like a genius. However if he busts then you are set back at least 3 more years.
        I dont buy the "set back" theory.

With the new CBA the rookie salaries will be different. Cam Newton isn't get 50 mil to go 1 overall like Bradford did. The bonus baby is done.

how much set back can they get from 2-14? 1-15? winless?
        my shoes hurt

Why Me? The Bob Lamonta Story

Comment

• Just like Vince Young, Newton may perform relatively well out of the gates.

Then NFL defenses will adjust.
          Scott Wright, President
          Draft Countdown.com
          www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
          www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Comment

• Originally posted by njx9
            so how many wins are you suggesting cam newton *guarantees* them?
            it gets em in the neighborhood of .500.

7-9, 8-8 etc
            my shoes hurt

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Wright View Post
              Just like Vince Young, Newton may perform relatively well out of the gates.

another point I agree with... but just for the record, Vince Young won Offensive Rookie of the Year. and Newton is widely regarded as a more accomplished thrower than VY.

expectations are so wack these days, that VY was considered a bad pick. And I was very anti-VY at the time.

Im sorry but if you ask any NFL GM, you could take a player, he will be rookie of the year, would any of them say no?

So many of these picks turn out worthless... for a guy to win games and win ROY, that's a good pick, pretty much no matter what else he does.
              my shoes hurt

Comment

so you guarantee a .500 season if the panthers take cam newton this year?
                no. I personally guarantee they win more games with Newton than with Peterson or AJ Green. But it's all hypotheticals... no way to prove.

also I disagree with the source that says he would go #1 if he were white. He's going #1. People just have to reconcile their idea of Newton with the truth of what's gonna happen. Many mocks have Dareus at number 1, he's not even in their final 3.
                my shoes hurt

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Wright View Post
                  Just like Vince Young, Newton may perform relatively well out of the gates.

Technically speaking Vince Young was having the best season of his career this year even though defense's "caught up" to him as you seem to be suggesting. Vince Young wasn't that bad of a qb he is just an idoit.

Comment

i believe that some unnamed sources are idiots and don't have the faintest clue what they're talking about. *shrug* this guy is clearly one of them. would ryan mallett go first overall if he was white? what about patrick peterson?

so you guarantee a .500 season if the panthers take cam newton this year?

I think you can make unnamed sources say whatever you want them to say that's why I refuse to put any stock into what they say.

Comment

I dont buy the "set back" theory.

With the new CBA the rookie salaries will be different. Cam Newton isn't get 50 mil to go 1 overall like Bradford did. The bonus baby is done.

how much set back can they get from 2-14? 1-15? winless?
                      It's not just the money he would be getting. It's easier to move on from Jimmy Clausen who was a mid second round pick and wasn't drafted by the current regime after one year. If Newton bombs this year do you honestly believe the Panthers would select someone like Andrew Luck next year or even a QB the year after that? They will give him ample time to prove himself. Just as the Raiders did with Russell and the Texans did with David Carr etc. The shortest time he will be on the Panthers roster for will be about 3 years and if he bombs then they are back to where they started-being a bad team looking for a franchise QB

Comment

• Originally posted by anansi View Post
                        Technically speaking Vince Young was having the best season of his career this year even though defense's "caught up" to him as you seem to be suggesting. Vince Young wasn't that bad of a qb he is just an idoit.
                        Actually, I agree! However, poor intangibles have prevented Vince Young from ever becoming the quarterback he's capable of being. I see the exact same problems with Cam Newton.
                        Scott Wright, President
                        Draft Countdown.com
                        www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
                        www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Comment

It's not just the money he would be getting. It's easier to move on from Jimmy Clausen who was a mid second round pick and wasn't drafted by the current regime after one year. If Newton bombs this year do you honestly believe the Panthers would select someone like Andrew Luck next year or even a QB the year after that?
                          potentially missing out on Andrew Luck is not reason enough to pass on Newton. Andrew Luck is not Lebron James, there are no really safe picks in the NFL draft. rebuilding isn't a real thing in the NFL.
                          my shoes hurt

Comment

potentially missing out on Andrew Luck is not reason enough to pass on Newton. Andrew Luck is not Lebron James, there are no really safe picks in the NFL draft. rebuilding isn't a real thing in the NFL.
                            I know that's not the point I was making. I was saying if Newton doesn't work out this year it will be put down to a learning curve. If he doesn't work out in year two he still has potential and will still be the starting QB. The Panthers will give him at least three years to prove himself as their franchise QB. If he fails to meet those expectations then he will have set the franchise back at least 3 years.

If they are not confident he will be the franchise QB IS enough reason to pass on him though.

Comment

if Newton doesn't work out this year it will be put down to a learning curve. If he doesn't work out in year two he still has potential and will still be the starting QB. The Panthers will give him at least three years to prove himself as their franchise QB. If he fails to meet those expectations then he will have set the franchise back at least 3 years.
                              that assumes they would be competitive without him.

I don't really see how that's possible.

there's a poker saying "you gotta put em down to pick em up" in other words nothing ventured nothing gained. Yes it's safer not to take Newton. But they won't turn that franchise around either.

the safest play is to take no players and fold the franchise. Jerry Richardson can put all his money in T-Bills. that's the safe play.
                              my shoes hurt

Comment

that assumes they would be competitive without him.

I don't really see how that's possible.

there's a poker saying "you gotta put em down to pick em up" in other words nothing ventured nothing gained. Yes it's safer not to take Newton. But they won't turn that franchise around either.

the safest play is to take no players and fold the franchise. Jerry Richardson can put all his money in T-Bills. that's the safe play.
                                It could be a case of damned if they do, damned if they don't. But the decision makers in the Panthers organisation aren't playing poker.

What they have is a second year QB who had little or no weapons to throw to. If only there was an elite WR in this draft class...

They also have a huge hole at DT. Im sure Dareus would help them out a little.

As I said, if they think he's going to be able to turn the franchise around then they have to take Newton. But they shouldn't take him just because he is a QB.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information