No announcement yet.

PFW "Clobbers" Cam Newton

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“Very disingenuous — has a fake smile, comes off as very scripted and has a selfish, me-first makeup. Always knows where the cameras are and plays to them. Has an enormous ego with a sense of entitlement that continually invites trouble and makes him believe he is above the law"

He just described Joe Theismann and probably more than a few current 'stars' in the NFL, including QBs.

What pisses me off about this quote initially is, what prospect isn't scripted predraft and rehearsed about how he's going to answer potential questions during this process??

Criticizing a guy's smile is a little bitchy IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
      If your evaluation of Newton begins and ends at Florida, at best your analysis on him is woefully incomplete.

I've known knucklehead athletes and God help them it seemed like know matter what they did or how much they changed environments, they found themselves involved in some kind of drama.

Let's be fair, Newton at Auburn was for the most part clean.

Again, do you have more info on the recruitment of Cam from Blinn, Scott??
      Sorry, but the accusation by an SEC school of a member SEC school involved in recruiting violations is kind of like a prostitute calling another streetwalker a *****.
      BINGO!! Just trust what you see...its hard to go against your common sense. Its tough when people bring up Non-Football related stuff and use that as basis for critique.. Cheating on a test?? Welcome to College! His play was phenomenal on an Auburn team that would've been 6-5 without him.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Wright View Post
        From Pro Football Weekly's Eric Edholm on Twitter (http://twitter.com/Eric_Edholm):

As I've said, Nolan Nawrocki knows what he's doing and has an impeccable reputation. If Nolan is saying this stuff about Newton it's because he has excellent sources who are telling him.
        Well, he just had Lance Kendricks and Orlando Franklin going in the first round of his most recent mock. I know we all try to project surprise picks, but if either one of them go ine first, it will make the Tyson Alualu pick look like great value.

Comment

Im sure the point is, its hard to take a persons opinion about something, if he hasnt actually done what he is evaluating. In this case its football. How can someone that has never played the game, never had the pressure of a national championship game, say this guy has all the problems he claims. Cam has had no trouble since florida (and that was immature type stuff), has been a leader for his team, on and off the field, gained the respect of the heisman trust to win the trophy yet, cant get backed by a guy who never played the game. I'll keep laughing to myself while you figure that one out. I cant respect

Comment

Jake Locker is my guy. If I had to draft a qb in this draft, I'm drafting Locker.

I hate Mallet's footwork and off the field issues, I hate Newton's off the field issues and dedication to the game, I hate Gabbert's everything besides his arm.

Locker's flaws are very correctable and I feel like if he sits and studies behind a great offensive coaching staff, he can be special.

Comment

Originally posted by Andersonspits View Post
              Im sure the point is, its hard to take a persons opinion about something, if he hasnt actually done what he is evaluating. In this case its football. How can someone that has never played the game, never had the pressure of a national championship game, say this guy has all the problems he claims. Cam has had no trouble since florida (and that was immature type stuff), has been a leader for his team, on and off the field, gained the respect of the heisman trust to win the trophy yet, cant get backed by a guy who never played the game. I'll keep laughing to myself while you figure that one out. I cant respect
              Get Outta my Brain!! LOL!

Great Post!

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                Jake Locker is my guy. If I had to draft a qb in this draft, I'm drafting Locker.

I hate Mallet's footwork and off the field issues, I hate Newton's off the field issues and dedication to the game, I hate Gabbert's everything besides his arm.

Locker's flaws are very correctable and I feel like if he sits and studies behind a great offensive coaching staff, he can be special.
                What have you seen Newton do or not do to show that he has a lack of dedication for the game?

Please elaborate

Comment

I do think the off-the-field issues for Newton are overblown - I don't think he's going to get drafted and cause a bunch of trouble off the field, cheat, lie, steal, or be a bad teammate in the locker room. I'm not even sure I buy the whole "lacks focus" argument, because I'm sure the guy wants to at least try and be an elite NFL QB.

All that being said, he's still one of the surest busts I've ever seen in the NFL draft. The upside is athleticism and eventual potential, but he'll never reach it. He doesn't have the mind to be an NFL QB and I'm not sure he'll commit himself to ever rounding himself out as a player rather than just trying to get by on speed and athleticism. Anyone who truly believes Cam Newton will be a productive NFL player at this point is delusional, and I don't believe I'm exaggerating. He'll be fun to run around with in Madden, but when it comes being an actual NFL-brain (or starting QB), he's got all the red flags you can ask for and I said this in another thread, I'd love to see him go to the Bengals or Bills and have to face the Steelers/Ravens or Jets/Pats twice a year - does anyone actually see him picking apart those defenses?
                  Nick Foles are you really my daddy??!..?

Comment

Originally posted by Rashaan Salaam View Post
                    What have you seen Newton do or not do to show that he has a lack of dedication for the game?

Please elaborate
                    I've seen nothing personally. I'm basing this off the fact that a lot of scouts/draft analysts are claiming that he lacks dedication. Supposedly his father has to constantly push him to stay motivated.

Again, not my words, but I've read this from guys in the industry who have much more direct contact with scouts and coaches than any of us ever will.

I will admit it's not the most precise way of forming an opinion, but let's be real, none of us are qualified enough to make an opinion that anyone in league circles would give a damn about.

He's just too risky for my personal preference based off what I hear.

From his game standpoint, I love his game, but I would like to see him do a better job reading defenses and take some off his fastball on deeper routes.

That comes down to dedication though, and Im not sure if he has it.

Comment

“Very disingenuous — has a fake smile, comes off as very scripted and has a selfish, me-first makeup. Always knows where the cameras are and plays to them. Has an enormous ego with a sense of entitlement that continually invites trouble and makes him believe he is above the law"

He just described Joe Theismann and probably more than a few current 'stars' in the NFL, including QBs.

What pisses me off about this quote initially is, what prospect isn't scripted predraft and rehearsed about how he's going to answer potential questions during this process??

All of that is going overboard no doubt, and when Newton busts I doubt any of us will look back and say we saw it in his smile - but we all understand what he's getting at here. While Newton has to smile and answer controversial questions a certain way, it's his personality and way he comes off that turns everyone off.

When Tim Tebow was asked last year about all of his mechanical flaws and uncertain pro-position, he said (indirect quote) "I'm going to report to whatever team drafts me and work as hard as I can to be the best player I can be". His on-the-field potential was his biggest question mark while his off-the-field behavior, demeanor and personality was his biggest upside. It got him drafted in the 1st round (although for all we know McDaniels was the only one really willing to spend that high of a pick on him).

Newton simply says "I'll be a global icon", before even getting drafted.
                      Nick Foles are you really my daddy??!..?

Comment

Originally posted by Rashaan Salaam View Post
                        Snowball Effect... The miss on the QB position snowballed to derail the entire squad. I also felt like they got rid of Mariucci too quick!
                        If picking Harrington was what derailed the team, then the moves over the course of the rest of Millen's tenure were him taking bazookas to the wreckage.
                        Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
                        Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                        Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

Newton's attitude sounds a lot like Lebron James only Bron Bron didn't have baggage( i think).
                          Sam Bradford will be a bust- 2/24/2010

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes

Comment

Disclaimer: I am not a member of the media, I am not a football scout and I only started one of two years I played high school football for a .500 team but . . .

The ability to evaluate talent can be drawn from a number or sources including experience, intelligence and/or just having a knack to guess correctly. One thing that Cam Newton provides is a great example of beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Is he an amazing athlete? No question! But does he have the ability to be a top-flight NFL quarterback? Jury is still out (as it usually is for every player leaving college for the NFL). All I can say for the PFW review is that some personal feelings fell into the evaluation BUT those feelings also find their way into team evaluations of players. If you feel as PFW does (that Cam is a "me first" jerk) then you will have to weigh what else he brings to the table and decide if that counter balances or overwhelms your concerns. For me there are too many red flags around him (as a person and a player) to use a top 15 draft pick.

I have to admit, If I were an owner trying to fill seats I'd be much more interested in him than if I were a coach or a scout. No question, the moment he starts for a team he will change the dynamic of the fan base for whatever city he ends up in. In that way he is similar to Tebow - his simple presence on the field draws fans and media to the game (positively and negatively). If I'm a franchise with a dwindling fan base he might be worth the risk.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                              I've seen nothing personally. I'm basing this off the fact that a lot of scouts/draft analysts are claiming that he lacks dedication. Supposedly his father has to constantly push him to stay motivated.

Again, not my words, but I've read this from guys in the industry who have much more direct contact with scouts and coaches than any of us ever will.

I will admit it's not the most precise way of forming an opinion, but let's be real, none of us are qualified enough to make an opinion that anyone in league circles would give a damn about.

He's just too risky for my personal preference based off what I hear.

From his game standpoint, I love his game, but I would like to see him do a better job reading defenses and take some off his fastball on deeper routes.

That comes down to dedication though, and Im not sure if he has it.
                              Trust what you see...

Just watch the tape

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Wright View Post
                                Let's keep the discussion to Cam Newton, not our resumes and qualifications.
                                That's what the internet is for... a dick measuring contest. Also, why are great players such terrible coaches? Because they didn't understand part of the game.

Anyways, I tend to agree with what he said. He almost feels like he was coached to do what he is doing. I see him smile and it looks forced. Maybe it isn't, but I just get the impression something is wrong.

When you are going to invest 50 million into someone, you tend to nitpick.

Also, It's not just his smile. His entire demeanor doesn't look like someone who pushes a team. He just reminds me of the kid who sits in the back of the room and cracks jokes in high school. The same guy that ended up drunk under a bar stool in college and dropped out after a year.

Maybe that's just me though...
                                Last edited by descendency; 03-29-2011, 01:29 PM.
                                **** her in da *****!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information